Author Topic: Share your funniest/craziest/scariest/most memorable FLIGHTS here  (Read 15374 times)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Re: Share your funniest/craziest/scariest/most memorable FLIGHTS here
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
Was wondering about "genevan" parliament. Did you by any chance mean Swiss parliament?
No, the Parliament of Sweden. Purim is affecting my brain
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
A neighbor of mine who travels alot told me he was on a flight and the landing gear didnt come out and they covered the whole runway in foam and landed on the belly!

Offline Shmelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
I've had a couple really crazy stories, but to post them would let some people who I am as those stories are known to many. So I'll just post a couple that happened that would be harder to identify. 

1. ZRH-TLV. The flight was severely overbooked, so they asked if anyone wanted to be bumped. I was under time constraints so couldn't do it. They proceeded to first sit all families and passengers flying together, and then followed some other system for seating everyone else. When this was done they had 15 people left for 2 seats, so they told us they would randomly select 2 people and the other 13 were SOL and would get bumped. Luckily, I was the 2nd person pulled, and was the last person to board the flight. I didn't look at my seat # until the FA directed me to first class to sit in my assigned seat, #1A.
2. JFK-TLV. I was seated in row 60E, last row, middle seat. Everyone had already boarded the plane when a toilet directly behind us exploded (or backed up, never quite figured this out) and water began pooling under our feet. With everyone basically standing on their seats, the whole crew was frantically trying to stop the water and clean the plane, using everything they could find - paper towels, blankets, headrest covers. The captain came back to see what was going on and slipped in the water and banged his head on the metal seat base. They opened the rear hatch and were mopping water off the plane on to the tarmac. After half an hour of this we were all told to deplane (an entire full flight to Israel, this was right before elul zman) and were stuck in the airport for a few hours until everything was sorted out.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »
heard from a family with a few kids (non-lubav) who got tickets with the dansdeals glitch, he said his plane in jfk on aa going to england hit another plane on the runway and they had to go back to the terminal, since it was last flight out and the plane they hit was the next england aa plane they had to rebook him direct on elal and they also changed the way back to direct on elal.
It's what is on the outside that matters

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
Heres mine.
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
WOW!! My father had a similar story, but he doesn't read or post on DDF, so i'll do it for him. He was flying from Chicago to israel for a chasuna of a relative and was flying back 9 hours after he arrived. On the flight there he had a middle seat right next to a big chassidish guy and was thinking there goes my hope for getting any sleep whatsoever. Then some guy comes to my father and the chassidish guy and asks them if they want to move to business class as he and his wife get free upgrades and there children are in  coach. That in its self is cool, but its not over yet. On the return flight ELAL have him a free upgrade to business class after they realized that he arrived 9 hours ago.
That's racist.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Racer7400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »
That's racist.
Why?? i was stating that he is big and chassidish NOT that all chassidish guys are big. and if someone thinks i was being racist i am sorry.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »
2. JFK-TLV. I was seated in row 60E, last row, middle seat. Everyone had already boarded the plane when a toilet directly behind us exploded (or backed up, never quite figured this out) and water began pooling under our feet. With everyone basically standing on their seats...
You're lucky it wasn't Tower Air, or else the story would have continued:
With everyone basically standing on their seats, the pilot took off, and that is how things remained for the duration of the flight, as well as the next 17 flights.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:27:39 PM by dirah »

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
Here's a story with a lesson:
After flying two long-haul segments, I boarded the third segment, an AC flight LAX-YUL.
I guess the airline was trying to save fuel costs, so the air conditioner wan't on despite the sweltering heat, and there was another twenty minutes to take-off. Tired as I was, I was about to snap out at the FA about it, but at the last second I held back, thinking it wasn't her fault, so why let loose on her.
The plane eventually takes off, and I fell asleep quite quickly, but somehow in that fog of unconsciousness I felt unsettled, but was too tired to notice what was going on. But then I am awakened by the FA who tells me that she notices that I am trying to sleep while my seatmates are being super rowdy and insensitive, so she is reseating me in First (from economy).
She also informed the FA's in first of the reason for reseating me, and they really went out of their way for me, more than for the other passengers in first.
In retrospect, I sure was glad I didn't lash out at her when I boarded!

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 07:30:59 PM »
heard from a family with a few kids (non-lubav) who got tickets with the dansdeals glitch, he said his plane in jfk on aa going to england hit another plane on the runway and they had to go back to the terminal, since it was last flight out and the plane they hit was the next england aa plane they had to rebook him direct on elal and they also changed the way back to direct on elal.
Ah... that sheds light on the whole story...

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »
had several memorable flights.

Right after 9/11 there was a plane that crashed in queens. I was flying MAN-JFK, we flew over the crash site, looked horrible, we had to circle for hours, ended up refueling in Logan and landed in JFK about 6 hours later.

EWR-MAN?, engine troubles on Tarmac in queue for takeoff. Engines shutdown, we wait 2 hours. No AC - passenger faints. Doc on board revives her, ground staff will not allow doors to be opened until we are off the runway. Several of us pax ignored flight & ground crew and forced the doors open. We were finally towed back to gate. All pax were given meal vouchers, I got $120 worth because I said KSML are way more expensive. Spent it in duty free.

KBP-LGW, was sitting next to a nice girl, we got on well (and planned to meet for drinks later) As we deplane she says her brother is meeting her, I say my colleague is meeting me but no clue what he looks like but he will be wearing a purple tie. we part ways...I start looking for purple, half hour later he shows up arm in arm with that girl.

MAD-GOI, we lost engine power for about 3 minutes, we were basically falling/gliding between mountains that peaked above us. Scary surreal experience. The entire flight smelled like curry.

BKK-BOM flying with 40k of beef destined for Chabad Mumbai.....well it's a long story.

LAX-LGA inflight Internet. True story.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
Ah... that sheds light on the whole story...
why do you think non lubav is more prone to flight issues? That is a liitle strange

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
why do you think non lubav is more prone to flight issues? That is a liitle strange

I think he was being sarcastic. I myself was going to ask you what their lubav status has to do with anything.

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
I think he was being sarcastic. I myself was going to ask you what their lubav status has to do with anything.
it shows that dansdeals is known to even non lubav

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
it shows that dansdeals is known to even non lubav

And just why the heck is that a chiddush?! I, as well as many others here, am not Lubavitch either. In fact, in the early days, I didn't even know that Dan was Lubavitch...

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
And just why the heck is that a chiddush?! I, as well as many others here, am not Lubavitch either. In fact, in the early days, I didn't even know that Dan was Lubavitch...
my point, even non lubavs use the site. I think after the dansdeals glitch is when it really took off. Now everywhere I go people speak about dansdeals

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
Your not? I thought everyone is. At heart at least. (Got to love just shmooze)

And are you sure Dan is lubabitch?

@OP great thread! Thanks.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
Your not? I thought everyone is. At heart at least. (Got to love just shmooze)

And are you sure Dan is lubabitch?

Shhhhh! Keep talking, and everyone'll figure out I lent him my beard! :P

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Shhhhh! Keep talking, and everyone'll figure out I lent him my beard! :P
were u never by a farbreingen? "What makes u a lubavitcher? Your hat? Your beard? Everyone can have a hat..." Continue for 4 hours and then "you need to do what the rebbe wants, learn chit as and rambam, do mivtzoim have a aha as yisorel and only then are u a lubaviycher.."

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
my point, even non lubavs use the site. I think after the dansdeals glitch is when it really took off. Now everywhere I go people speak about dansdeals
. Actually lubavitchers are NOT a Roiv Hanikar here, in fact between my RL friends (mostly lubavitchers) not too many people know about DDF and those that do mostly heard about it AFTER the el al glitch
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:21:27 PM by Achas Veachas »