Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Author Topic: Bali Master Thread  (Read 94315 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Bali Master Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:00:21 AM »
Thanks! After finding EWR - PEK in J open the day after t bav I just could not pass it up.

Depends on how you look at it. I see it as 9 days with a nanny for my baby for 350 dollars, a nice amount of time to get my scuba license, a happy wife and still 2 days in BKK and 3 in SIN and one in PEK :) There is a lot to do there we are moving to 3 different places in order to get it all in.

So 9 days in DPS, 3 in SIN, 2 in BKK, and one in PEK?

15 day trip? Awesome.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 12:02:30 AM »
So 9 days in DPS, 3 in SIN, 2 in BKK, and one in PEK?

15 day trip? Awesome.
Exactly!

Get really lucky on tickets, with EWR - PEK on UA and then SQ from Pek to Sin and Sin to Bali with a stopover in Sin for Shabbos all in J. Return is starting in BKK also in J. Just need to change to TG in F. Booked one ticket with AC so the infant was only 100 the other with UA points.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »
Exactly!

Get really lucky on tickets, with EWR - PEK on UA and then SQ from Pek to Sin and Sin to Bali with a stopover in Sin for Shabbos all in J. Return is starting in BKK also in J. Just need to change to TG in F. Booked one ticket with AC so the infant was only 100 the other with UA points.

Try to get on the A380, otherwise getting the new F is like winning the lotto.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 12:09:45 AM »
Try to get on the A380, otherwise getting the new F is like winning the lotto.
Will do that's good to know. There are so many options from BKK and I have a few months so hopefully I will get it. Meanwhile I am busy busy with the hotels and all.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 02:17:11 AM »
4 nights in the Hyatt Sanur at 5k points a night, working on Suite upgrade, 3 nights in Ubud https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/620260 and 2 in Seminyak in a private pool villa on the Indian ocean.
Lucky, they're closing the Hyatt for a long time to make renovations. It's a great deal.
Are you upgrading to a suite?
Also, are you renting a car?

I'll probably do BnB for Ubud for 5 days (including shabbos) since i may be all beached out after being in southern thailand for 9 days prior.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »
Lucky, they're closing the Hyatt for a long time to make renovations. It's a great deal.
Are you upgrading to a suite?
Also, are you renting a car?

I'll probably do BnB for Ubud for 5 days (including shabbos) since i may be all beached out after being in southern thailand for 9 days prior.
Oh wow yes then Ubud does sound nice. Yes that Hyatt is a great deal. I do have a friend with a suite upgrade, they are going to book it for me and I will just transfer them UR points.

Not renting a car as a driver for a full day is 50 USD all inclusive, and I have a good driver so that will be a lot easier. No one reccomends renting as driving is hard and hiring a driver is not more expensive. We are gonna be in Ubud for Shabbos too, figured would be a nice place to spend it. Be carefull when booking there as many places are far from Ubud itself, could even be 20 minute drive and they say it's in Ubud. Our place which I just booked has a private pool and kitchen and I got it for 380 for 3 nights.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »
Cannot use suite upgrade on award bookings

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
Cannot use suite upgrade on award bookings
Ouch. I guess I will just book the club floor for 7k a night. Still a bargain. I have a diamond that is going to book it for me but all the suites are not showing even as revenue so I wonder if they are avail either way.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »
I've been looking at AirBnB for different locations in Bali for 4+ ppl, in a private home or villa, and am posting some links to some of the places that have stuck out for a combination of their beauty and price.

Ubud:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/620260
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/384588 (no pool)
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/360425
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/689670 (no pool, in the middle of nature)
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/409635 (saltwater plunge pool)

Kuta:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/862185  (3 bedrooms, can rent it all for $115 per night, and the house looks stunning.)
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/166278
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/167881 (only 1 bedroom, but it's a treehouse!)
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/540741
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/576220 (shared pool)

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
The first place you posted in Ubud is where we are staying! Got it for 120 a night when I said I am only using one bedroom even though in July the rate is 150 a night.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38:41 AM »
The first place you posted in Ubud is where we are staying! Got it for 120 a night when I said I am only using one bedroom even though in July the rate is 150 a night.
really pretty place, great job!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 01:44:06 AM »
really pretty place, great job!
Thanks! I felt like I could not settle on a place without a pool. My hotels are finally sorted out.

4 nights at the Hyatt Sanur for 20k Hyatt points, which is a steal. Got waitlisted for the next open suite. 3 night in Ubud at the villa total was 380 for the 3 nights. Last 2 nights we are staying in Seminyak in a private pool villa here  http://www.koenokoenivilla.com/ for 440 all in for 2 nights. Seminyak seems to be the nicest area out of Nusa Dua which seems to be to much like Miami for it to be worth staying there.

Check out this place in Seminyak. It just opened in November so I got good deal. All the reviews on TA were excellent.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
Is Seminyak a beachy place?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »
Is Seminyak a beachy place?
Seminyak is right next to Kuta and really is an extension of it. It goes Kuta, Legian and then Seminyak. It is on the beach and it seems like it's a very nice area to hang out. The only difference between Kuta and Seminyak is that all the nice hotels are in Seminyak like the W etc and it's not full of drunk Australian tourists. It's much more high end, they call it the Soho of Bali.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
@Fan of Dan
I read that you have to register everywhere you go, and if it's not a hotel, then you have to pay some type of fee to the government.
Are you familiar with this?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
@Fan of Dan
I read that you have to register everywhere you go, and if it's not a hotel, then you have to pay some type of fee to the government.
Are you familiar with this?
First time hearing about it. Is it a tax sort of thing or a visa related issue?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
First time hearing about it. Is it a tax sort of thing or a visa related issue?
Seems visa related. Read it in Frommers.
Google it and let me know what you find.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
Seems visa related. Read it in Frommers.
Google it and let me know what you find.
A basic google search did not pull up anything. Where in the Frommers book did you see it? I have it out now from the Library.

In regard to visas you just get it at the airport, doesn't seem to have any restrictions. The lines are supposed to be bad so I am hiring someone to rush us thru.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »
http://travelisfree.com/2013/06/13/should-i-go-to-bali/

Just booked my ticket from HKT to DPS on Malysian Airlines, so I'm almost all set.

Still trying to decide where to stay though. We'll be there for 5 nights including shabbos, so I want to stay at a single place to avoid too much schlepping around.
1) I've got the 25% SPG discount on miles for reaching Gold, and perhaps I'll have the 35% discount if I reach Plat. SPG has some nice looking locations in a variety of locations, but I value my points very highly. But if the discount works w/ the 5th night free at Sheraton, it can be a very good deal.
2) I had booked, then canceled the Conrad. Now with the points increase, I don't see any chance of returning to there.
3) The great Hyatt value isn't applicable since they're closing for renovations.
4) There are some really nice AirBnB properties all over the place, available for around $100 a night. These have private pools, multiple bedrooms, etc. But they lack the other amenities of hotels.

So, any advice? Both for location as well as type of accommodation?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Most Airbnb units have cleaning help, but they are not hotels. If you want to stay in one place the whole time I would look into Seminyak or Kerobokan. Seminyak being a bit nicer. Nusa Dua ppl say is very sterile and not Bali like, and Ubud will be boring for that long. Go as a day trip. Another area to look as is Candidasa but it's supposed to be quite there.

From Seminyak you can go to ubud and the whole Bukit peninsula, as well as the East coast if you are into diving. There are many hotels that offer private villas with pools that are still part of the hotels but they can be pretty steep. For Shabbos I booked thru Airbnb for privacy but the rest of my time is split between the Hyatt and a villa style hotel.