Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

Author Topic: Bali Master Thread  (Read 94294 times)

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bali Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »
Most Airbnb units have cleaning help, but they are not hotels. If you want to stay in one place the whole time I would look into Seminyak or Kerobokan. Seminyak being a bit nicer. Nusa Dua ppl say is very sterile and not Bali like, and Ubud will be boring for that long. Go as a day trip. Another area to look as is Candidasa but it's supposed to be quite there.

From Seminyak you can go to ubud and the whole Bukit peninsula, as well as the East coast if you are into diving. There are many hotels that offer private villas with pools that are still part of the hotels but they can be pretty steep. For Shabbos I booked thru Airbnb for privacy but the rest of my time is split between the Hyatt and a villa style hotel.

Have you been there yet?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »

Have you been there yet?

Just got back! We had the most amazing time! 9 days of pure relaxation.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 10:54:42 PM »
TR please.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »
Welcome!
Good to have you back. I'm down to 4 months left till my trip, and need to finalize stuff soon.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:23 AM »
Welcome!
Good to have you back. I'm down to 4 months left till my trip, and need to finalize stuff soon.
Thanks!! Will be happy to help out with anything. You are gonna love it!

TR please.
Working on it  :)

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Here is my TR for our trip to Bali.

The outline of our trip was a day in Beijing, a weekend in Singapore and we then flew from Singapore to Bali on Sunday night. Our flight there was part of our UA tickets so we flew on Singapore airlines in J. We were in Bali from Sunday evening until the following Tuesday. We then flew from Bali to BKK on a separate ticket with AirAsia and we spent 2 days there and flew home.

Before we booked our trip to Bali we were nervous about taking a 5 month old baby to Indonesia, but the truth is Bali has a good tourist infrastructure and you don't need to take malaria tablets etc. so it's not such a bad place for little ones. It actually worked out really well. The locals never see pale skinned blue eyed babies so they were thrilled to see her. Even grown men would stop to schmooze with her and see if they could get her to giggle.

Sunday evening we finally arrived in Bali. Before you go to immigration you need to pay a 25USD fee per person for the entry visa. The whole process was pretty quick. They also x-ray everything in your luggage at customs, but thankfully they didn't mind that we had a suitcase full of food. We then met our driver who drove us the 45 minute drive to the Hyatt. We paid him 15 dollars.

The Hyatt is a really good value (until they renovate) at 5K points a night. We got upgraded to a Regency room overlooking the Indian ocean. The grounds are really spacious, filled with waterfalls and gardens etc. and they have their own beach. We stayed there from Sunday night until Thursday morning.

Monday morning I got picked up from the hotel by a company called Bali Scuba for my scuba course. I paid them 350 for the full open water scuba course. While I was diving my wife went to the Spa at the hotel and we hired a nanny for 4 dollars an hour to watch the baby. The Hyatt is in a town called Sanur which is really pleasant and has a good mix of locals and tourists so in the afternoon when I returned we went walking along the beach and watching the locals fly their kites. The whole area is very interesting, and you can also see the fisherman on their traditional boats bringing in the fish.

Tuesday I spent the morning diving again, this time till just 11:30. In the afternoon our driver picked us up and drove us to the south of Bali. We went to an area called Nusa Dua which has many nice hotels and a really cool blowhole in the ocean. This is where Obama will stay when he comes later this year. We then toured the Bukit peninsula and saw sunset at an area called Uluwatu. Uluwatu is a temple (they don't let you inside the part that they pray) built on top of massive sea cliffs. They have monkeys all over the place chasing each other etc. and it's a fun place to spend a few hours. The scenery along the water is really amazing, and the monkeys sitting on the ancient ruins and watching the crashing waves down below was really cool.

To be continued....

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »

The outline of our trip was a day in Beijing, a weekend in Singapore and we then flew from Singapore to Bali on Sunday night. Our flight there was part of our UA tickets so we flew on Singapore airlines in J. We were in Bali from Sunday evening until the following Tuesday. We then flew from Bali to BKK on a separate ticket with AirAsia and we spent 2 days there and flew home.

Before we booked our trip to Bali we were nervous about taking a 5 month old baby to Indonesia, but the truth is Bali has a good tourist infrastructure and you don't need to take malaria tablets etc. so it's not such a bad place for little ones. It actually worked out really well. The locals never see pale skinned blue eyed babies so they were thrilled to see her. Even grown men would stop to schmooze with her and see if they could get her to giggle.

Sunday evening we finally arrived in Bali. Before you go to immigration you need to pay a 25USD fee per person for the entry visa. The whole process was pretty quick. They also x-ray everything in your luggage at customs, but thankfully they didn't mind that we had a suitcase full of food. We then met our driver who drove us the 45 minute drive to the Hyatt. We paid him 15 dollars.

The Hyatt is a really good value (until they renovate) at 5K points a night. We got upgraded to a Regency room overlooking the Indian ocean. The grounds are really spacious, filled with waterfalls and gardens etc. and they have their own beach. We stayed there from Sunday night until Thursday morning.

Monday morning I got picked up from the hotel by a company called Bali Scuba for my scuba course. I paid them 350 for the full open water scuba course. While I was diving my wife went to the Spa at the hotel and we hired a nanny for 4 dollars an hour to watch the baby. The Hyatt is in a town called Sanur which is really pleasant and has a good mix of locals and tourists so in the afternoon when I returned we went walking along the beach and watching the locals fly their kites. The whole area is very interesting, and you can also see the fisherman on their traditional boats bringing in the fish.

Tuesday I spent the morning diving again, this time till just 11:30. In the afternoon our driver picked us up and drove us to the south of Bali. We went to an area called Nusa Dua which has many nice hotels and a really cool blowhole in the ocean. This is where Obama will stay when he comes later this year. We then toured the Bukit peninsula and saw sunset at an area called Uluwatu. Uluwatu is a temple (they don't let you inside the part that they pray) built on top of massive sea cliffs. They have monkeys all over the place chasing each other etc. and it's a fun place to spend a few hours. The scenery along the water is really amazing, and the monkeys sitting on the ancient ruins and watching the crashing waves down below was really cool.

To be continued....

Sounds great so far.

How was the actual traveling with the baby?

Was the nanny from the hotel?

How was the scuba diving?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline easy48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
We then flew from Bali to BKK on a separate ticket with AirAsia and we spent 2 days there and flew home.

Did you fly Air Asia in F?  How was it?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Sounds great so far.

How was the actual traveling with the baby?

Was the nanny from the hotel?

How was the scuba diving?
The scuba diving was amazing. The water was over 80 degrees and the reefs and different kind of tropical fish were really cool. Far better IMHO than the GBR.

The nanny wasn't from the hotel, we hired her based on TA. She was really good with our baby, although about 100 dollars went missing and I suspected that she took it. When I mentioned it to her she denied taking it and she asked me to call hotel security. They searched all her bags as well as her clothing and didn't find it so we will never know. She didn't seem to mind that we asked her about it.

Flying with a baby wasn't to bad. We got the bassinet seat and all the flight attendants were really nice. Especially in Asia where they would hold her if she cried and they would put her to sleep for us. Not to bad  :) Was way harder than travelling before we had her, but it was certainly manageable and the approx. 22 hours of flying in each direction wasn't that hard.

Did you fly Air Asia in F?  How was it?
The Air Asia flight was a single cabin  :( We paid about 115 a person for the 4 hour flight and for an extra 4 dollars per person we got to sit in the bulkhead and board first etc.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »
Some pics from Uluwatu

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:03 AM »
Sunset at Uluwatu and scuba diving

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:11 AM »
Post more pics!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:21 AM »
The beach in front of the Hyatt, and monkey at Uluwatu

Offline andrew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Especially in Asia where they would hold her if she cried and they would put her to sleep for us. Not to bad  :)
Im not sure which one is crazier this or the nanny , your baby is 5 months in the hand of a stranger?

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Im not sure which one is crazier this or the nanny , your baby is 5 months in the hand of a stranger?
Kinda thinking the same, but afraid to say it...

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
+1, i bit my tongue...

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
+1, i bit my tongue...
Trust me we feel the same way about it. It's not like they asked us first. I would hear a cry and next thing she was in the FA arms. We did try to limit it but by the end of the trip we sort of gave up. BH she didn't come down with anything. The nanny was recommended by many people thru pm on TA and she has a website and all. Even with all that we didn't let her leave the room in the hotel and the Hyatt staff all knew not to let her walk around with our baby. There is no way she could of gotten past them with her.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:40:16 AM by Fan of Dan »

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »

To be continued....

Great report, would you reccomend bali for singles? Part of a lengthy asia trip. Hyatt 5k per night sounds amazing!

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »

Great report, would you reccomend bali for singles? Part of a lengthy asia trip. Hyatt 5k per night sounds amazing!
As of now, you can't book at that hotel past mid-November. They're closing for up to 2 years for renovations.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
Great TR. Want to read more!

As of now, you can't book at that hotel past mid-November. They're closing for up to 2 years for renovations.

:(
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper