Topic Wiki

Editor’s note: I know enough about this topic to be dangerous, but I’m not a true expert so please feel free to add to or edit anything in this wiki that will improve it. The FAQs contain many oversimplifications but that is intentional to make the information relatable to the audience. Thanks!

Frequently Asked Questions

What are blockchains and bitcoins and what is the difference?
A blockchain is the fundamental element in a crypto currency system. A blockchain is an accounting ledger. Each block contains a bunch of journal entries (i.e. a chronological record of transactions) that gets encrypted (by miners) but can be downloaded and read by anyone on the network. Why the blockchain ledger is secure and how we can vouch for its integrity is a slightly more advanced topic.

An accounting ledger typically keeps track of money, and a blockchain is no different. But the only type of money that it can accurately track is digital money that lives on the blockchain network. So dollars, euros, etc are out. The digital money that lives on the blockchain is called a crypto currency, and the most well-known one at this time is Bitcoin.

Currently there are a few major blockchain networks: the Bitcoin Network, the Ethereum Network, and the Litecoin Network. Each one has its own currency, which are Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin, respectively.

I’m just a simple DDFer and not an accountant + cryptographer + hacker all at the same time. Can you make this a little simpler to understand?
Let’s try an analogy. There is a certain website called Dansdeals.com and it has quite a following. Some of the followers are just users/readers but others are more active and produce value for the website. When they provide value, they earn currency for their work – called “EQP” and “HT”. So we have something we will call the Dansdeals Blockchain Network that is simply a record keeper of various ongoing deals and it issues a native currency that is fractionable (10,000 EQP = 1 HT). This is similar to the Blockchain network recording financial transactions and issuing bitcoins. The ones who work for the network (miners) earn bitcoins and everyone else needs to buy it to participate.

The analogy improves if you imagine that the Dansdeals website visitors have to pay a small amount, let’s say 5 EQP, in order to access a deal or a code that is recorded on the network. If the website has 30,000 followers who love deals, but only 1,000 active members who earn EQP, then you can see that there is a need for a marketplace to be created where you can buy EQP for later use.

Of course, websites are not networks, and this analogy is far from perfect. But useful.

How much is a Bitcoin worth
No one knows. A few people are speculating its worth based on the potential that Bitcoin will one day become a major world currency that people use in their daily lives. Most people though are speculating its worth based on what the next new investor will pay them for it (google “Greater Fool Investing”).

Even if a crypto currency becomes dominant, who says it will be Bitcoin? Maybe it will be Schmitcoin?
This is completely possible. Bitcoin and Ether are the most likely at this point, but their long term survival is not at all guaranteed.

So why all the fuss about Bitcoin? Shouldn’t we wait for Schmitcoin and its cousins to come out?
You could, but you don’t want to ignore how hard it is to start up a network from scratch. It may be that as little as one person can create rival code to compete with the existing digital currencies and blockchains, but one person is not a network. You need a lot of highly technical and motivated people to join you and also to invest their time, energy, and money in making that network run. It’s a highly specialized group of people, and most of the people who would fit that profile are already tied up with an existing network. So it’s not impossible, especially in the long-term, but even if it does happen it would be unlikely to pop up overnight and so Vegas odds for Bitcoin are way shorter.

Let’s go back to the Dansdeals analogy. Imagine that Dansdeals is not the only such website, and there are other websites in existence that provide similar services. For the sake of the analogy let’s call them MMS and OMAAT. They too have big enough followings to survive independently, and even though each one offers a slightly different flavor that differentiates them, anyone on one of the networks could also get their most important needs met on one of the other networks. In this analogy, do you think it’s worth collecting EQP/HT or not? After all, Schmansdeals.com could open up one day and all the business could move there.

The argument for the difficulty of starting up a rival blockchain network is much stronger than in the analogy (especially if we start to include “smart contracts” in the discussion), but the basic idea that you need a critical mass of follows to be successful and compete with existing rivals is the same.

« Last edited by yuneeq on December 25, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »

Author Topic: BitCoin Master Thread  (Read 351783 times)

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: BitCoin Master Thread
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »
I misunderstood. I thought you mean the court has access to do it.

If the court needs to ask you for your key, you can say no. And then maybe they can put you in jail, but they can't torture you  until you give it.  And maybe you'd rather go to jail than lose all your money.

See, today, if the govt thinks you owe money, they just go take it.  They can walk into your house and take it, or can levy your accounts.  And no way the govt is going to give up the ability to do that.

Can they stop it from happening?

Let me rephrase - if all the conditions are right for cryptocurrency and it's about to become a real medium of exchange, but the government is afraid of it, will it become something or not?
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
how do you purchase btc or ether?

Coinbase is the most user friendly DIY way I know. Or you can meet up with a friendly enthusiast who will sell you some and hold your hand in the process
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
Can they stop it from happening?

Let me rephrase - if all the conditions are right for cryptocurrency and it's about to become a real medium of exchange, but the government is afraid of it, will it become something or not?

Yes, they are the government. 

But more fundamentally, I think you need the government's cooperation to recognize as ownership and as legally binding the transactions that you are doing. 

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2017, 03:57:10 PM »
New question:

Does this mean going back to a gold standard essentially, and no monetary policy? Read this article by Paul Krugman that I linked yesterday http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/1998/08/babysitting_the_economy.html

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
Yes, they are the government. 

But more fundamentally, I think you need the government's cooperation to recognize as ownership and as legally binding the transactions that you are doing.

I'll meet you halfway. The government is a huge potential threat, but their cooperation is not ultimately necessary. The government is just a consolidation of the power of the people - if the people democratically choose to instill the power of ownership records to the blockchain, then it can (and should) happen. Of course, the gov't can use their military to oppose the will of the people and in general be a nuisance, and they might win or they might lose. I'd argue that even if they win, they lose, because they usurp democracy in doing so. I told you this stuff is a bit anarchist.

But as far as transactions go, saying that the government's blessing is necessary is completely inaccurate. Once there is a hash ID for the transaction, it's over. That money is not coming back unless the new owner wants it to. The only ways to circumvent this are through decryption (backing into an individual's private key) or manipulating thousands of nodes on the blockchain at once.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2017, 04:20:28 PM »
New question:

Does this mean going back to a gold standard essentially, and no monetary policy? Read this article by Paul Krugman that I linked yesterday http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_dismal_science/1998/08/babysitting_the_economy.html

I read it, and it was fun. Scrip is stupid because it limits your purchasing power, and the babysitting scrip was even stupider because there was only one way to acquire it too. But I understand that the point was to draw lessons from the story.

How small can you slice a bar of gold? To accommodate all the demand for money you'd need to cut it down so that a 1 oz sliver is equivalent to the value of a house. Imagine trying to cut your gold bar down to the size you'd need to buy a bag of lollipops. And where do billionaires store all their saved up gold?

But you can slice a bitcoin infinitely small, and you can just as easily store a million bitcoins as you can store a fraction of a coin.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:55:11 PM by hachover »

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
I'll meet you halfway. The government is a huge potential threat, but their cooperation is not ultimately necessary. The government is just a consolidation of the power of the people - if the people democratically choose to instill the power of ownership records to the blockchain, then it can (and should) happen. Of course, the gov't can use their military to oppose the will of the people and in general be a nuisance, and they might win or they might lose. I'd argue that even if they win, they lose, because they usurp democracy in doing so. I told you this stuff is a bit anarchist.

But as far as transactions go, saying that the government's blessing is necessary is completely inaccurate. Once there is a hash ID for the transaction, it's over. That money is not coming back unless the new owner wants it to. The only ways to circumvent this are through decryption (backing into an individual's private key) or manipulating thousands of nodes on the blockchain at once.

But then what do you do about fraud, and about any of a million reasons why somebody might owe somebody else money or money might need to transfer outside the blockchain? 

It is conceivable that the people may want to live in anarchy, but you'd think they'd also vote for that at the polls if that's what they wanted.

The funny story I put above was funny, but there are any of a million similar questions.

Yaakov writes his will over only to Yosef.  Reuven and co. sue alleging undue influence.

Yaakov writes his will to Yosef but only if Yosef doesn't marry eishes potifar--otherwise it goes to Yehuda.  Yosef sues, alleging that enforcement is contrary to public policy (See  In re Estate of Feinberg, 383 Ill. App. 3d 992 (1st Dist. June 30, 2008))

Reuven punches shimon. Shimon sues.

Reuven posts on ddf that Shimon is a big crybaby and a mamzer anyway.  Shimon sues again for defamation.

Apple Juice Simpson kills his ex-wife. Her family sues.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
I read it, and it was fun. Scrip is stupid because it limits your purchasing power, and the babysitting scrip was even stupider because there was only one way to acquire it too. But I understand that the point was to draw lessons from the story.

How small can you slice a bar of gold? To accommodate all the demand for money you'd need to cut it down so that a 1 oz sliver is equivalent to the value of a house. Imagine trying to cut your gold bar down to the size you'd need to buy a bag of lollipops for your daughter to be shabbos abba. And where do billionaires store all their saved up gold?

But you can slice a bitcoin infinitely small, and you can just as easily store a million bitcoins as you can store a fraction of a coin.

I thought you'd answer that you can use smaller pieces but that doesn't get you to having monetary policy.

Now, there are arguments against having a monetary policy, but the ability to use crypotcurrency is not one of them.

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
But then what do you do about fraud, and about any of a million reasons why somebody might owe somebody else money or money might need to transfer outside the blockchain? 

It is conceivable that the people may want to live in anarchy, but you'd think they'd also vote for that at the polls if that's what they wanted.

The funny story I put above was funny, but there are any of a million similar questions.

Yaakov writes his will over only to Yosef.  Reuven and co. sue alleging undue influence.

Yaakov writes his will to Yosef but only if Yosef doesn't marry eishes potifar--otherwise it goes to Yehuda.  Yosef sues, alleging that enforcement is contrary to public policy (See  In re Estate of Feinberg, 383 Ill. App. 3d 992 (1st Dist. June 30, 2008))

Reuven punches shimon. Shimon sues.

Reuven posts on ddf that Shimon is a big crybaby and a mamzer anyway.  Shimon sues again for defamation.

Apple Juice Simpson kills his ex-wife. Her family sues.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but the big common denominator you seem to be concerned with is that the courts will have lost the ability to directly carry out their rulings. So what? They will still issue judgments, and will find other means to ensure that it is complied with.

Garnishing wages? Easier than current. Employers will still comply with the courts.

Extracting money from an unwilling individual's account? Harder, surely. And you already made the point that threat of prison may not always work. But think creatively - there are unlimited ways of making sure that the judgment is complied with using leverage other than prison. And there are additional ways that may not be obvious - one that comes to me is exerting control over *public* keys - e.g. the court demands that the verification service (the likes of Verisign today) delete or disable a person's public key.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2017, 09:53:06 PM »
Maybe I'm missing your point, but the big common denominator you seem to be concerned with is that the courts will have lost the ability to directly carry out their rulings. So what? They will still issue judgments, and will find other means to ensure that it is complied with.

Garnishing wages? Easier than current. Employers will still comply with the courts.

Extracting money from an unwilling individual's account? Harder, surely. And you already made the point that threat of prison may not always work. But think creatively - there are unlimited ways of making sure that the judgment is complied with using leverage other than prison. And there are additional ways that may not be obvious - one that comes to me is exerting control over *public* keys - e.g. the court demands that the verification service (the likes of Verisign today) delete or disable a person's public key.

Ok, maybe there's ways to do that.  This wasn't my main objection; main objection is the arbitrariness of calling something value with nothing to back it.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2017, 09:54:11 PM »
Ok, maybe there's ways to do that.  This wasn't my main objection; main objection is the arbitrariness of calling something value with nothing to back it.
Like strips of paper with green printing on them?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:30 PM »
Like strips of paper with green printing on them?

Backed by the U.S. government.

Not backed by the Venezuelan government

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
Backed by the U.S. government.

Not backed by the Venezuelan government
The Venezuelan ones were doing good until 2 years ago...

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:29 AM »
The Venezuelan ones were doing good until 2 years ago...

Was it?

Here's a story from 10 years ago, noting that the black market value was half the official value of the Venezuelan Bolivar http://www.economist.com/node/9621513
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:08:04 AM by henche »

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2017, 12:20:02 AM »
Was it?

Here's a story from 10 years ago, noting that the black market value was half the official value of the Venezuelan Bolivar http://www.economist.com/node/9621513
On 4 July, the bolivar traded in the parallel market at 7,691 VEF per USD. The result marked a steep 19.3% depreciation from the same day of last month. The parallel dollar shed 58.8% of its value since the start of the year and a massive 86.5% from the same day last year.

https://www.focus-economics.com/country-indicator/venezuela/exchange-rate

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2017, 12:29:22 AM »
On 4 July, the bolivar traded in the parallel market at 7,691 VEF per USD. The result marked a steep 19.3% depreciation from the same day of last month. The parallel dollar shed 58.8% of its value since the start of the year and a massive 86.5% from the same day last year.

https://www.focus-economics.com/country-indicator/venezuela/exchange-rate

1. Are those official numbers or black market numbers? Venezuela was trying to manipulate its currency.
2. Obviously it went down in recent months. My point is that it was never healthier than Venezuela was generally.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2017, 12:37:57 AM »
1. Are those official numbers or black market numbers? Venezuela was trying to manipulate its currency.
2. Obviously it went down in recent months. My point is that it was never healthier than Venezuela was generally.
1. Black Market of course. The official market is pegged to the dollar and barley moves.

2. Venezuela had a booming economy, so why wouldn't the currency be strong?

I wasn't agreeing or arguing with what you said over the last few pages. Just the Venezuelan line.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2017, 01:02:50 AM »

2. Venezuela had a booming economy, so why wouldn't the currency be strong?

I dunno

Offline hachover

• View Profile

Offline henche

• View Profile