Topic Wiki

Editor’s note: I know enough about this topic to be dangerous, but I’m not a true expert so please feel free to add to or edit anything in this wiki that will improve it. The FAQs contain many oversimplifications but that is intentional to make the information relatable to the audience. Thanks!

Frequently Asked Questions

What are blockchains and bitcoins and what is the difference?
A blockchain is the fundamental element in a crypto currency system. A blockchain is an accounting ledger. Each block contains a bunch of journal entries (i.e. a chronological record of transactions) that gets encrypted (by miners) but can be downloaded and read by anyone on the network. Why the blockchain ledger is secure and how we can vouch for its integrity is a slightly more advanced topic.

An accounting ledger typically keeps track of money, and a blockchain is no different. But the only type of money that it can accurately track is digital money that lives on the blockchain network. So dollars, euros, etc are out. The digital money that lives on the blockchain is called a crypto currency, and the most well-known one at this time is Bitcoin.

Currently there are a few major blockchain networks: the Bitcoin Network, the Ethereum Network, and the Litecoin Network. Each one has its own currency, which are Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin, respectively.

I’m just a simple DDFer and not an accountant + cryptographer + hacker all at the same time. Can you make this a little simpler to understand?
Let’s try an analogy. There is a certain website called Dansdeals.com and it has quite a following. Some of the followers are just users/readers but others are more active and produce value for the website. When they provide value, they earn currency for their work – called “EQP” and “HT”. So we have something we will call the Dansdeals Blockchain Network that is simply a record keeper of various ongoing deals and it issues a native currency that is fractionable (10,000 EQP = 1 HT). This is similar to the Blockchain network recording financial transactions and issuing bitcoins. The ones who work for the network (miners) earn bitcoins and everyone else needs to buy it to participate.

The analogy improves if you imagine that the Dansdeals website visitors have to pay a small amount, let’s say 5 EQP, in order to access a deal or a code that is recorded on the network. If the website has 30,000 followers who love deals, but only 1,000 active members who earn EQP, then you can see that there is a need for a marketplace to be created where you can buy EQP for later use.

Of course, websites are not networks, and this analogy is far from perfect. But useful.

How much is a Bitcoin worth
No one knows. A few people are speculating its worth based on the potential that Bitcoin will one day become a major world currency that people use in their daily lives. Most people though are speculating its worth based on what the next new investor will pay them for it (google “Greater Fool Investing”).

Even if a crypto currency becomes dominant, who says it will be Bitcoin? Maybe it will be Schmitcoin?
This is completely possible. Bitcoin and Ether are the most likely at this point, but their long term survival is not at all guaranteed.

So why all the fuss about Bitcoin? Shouldn’t we wait for Schmitcoin and its cousins to come out?
You could, but you don’t want to ignore how hard it is to start up a network from scratch. It may be that as little as one person can create rival code to compete with the existing digital currencies and blockchains, but one person is not a network. You need a lot of highly technical and motivated people to join you and also to invest their time, energy, and money in making that network run. It’s a highly specialized group of people, and most of the people who would fit that profile are already tied up with an existing network. So it’s not impossible, especially in the long-term, but even if it does happen it would be unlikely to pop up overnight and so Vegas odds for Bitcoin are way shorter.

Let’s go back to the Dansdeals analogy. Imagine that Dansdeals is not the only such website, and there are other websites in existence that provide similar services. For the sake of the analogy let’s call them MMS and OMAAT. They too have big enough followings to survive independently, and even though each one offers a slightly different flavor that differentiates them, anyone on one of the networks could also get their most important needs met on one of the other networks. In this analogy, do you think it’s worth collecting EQP/HT or not? After all, Schmansdeals.com could open up one day and all the business could move there.

The argument for the difficulty of starting up a rival blockchain network is much stronger than in the analogy (especially if we start to include “smart contracts” in the discussion), but the basic idea that you need a critical mass of follows to be successful and compete with existing rivals is the same.

« Last edited by yuneeq on December 25, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »

Author Topic: BitCoin Master Thread  (Read 352696 times)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: BitCoin Master Thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 22, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »
What is the appeal of RH? Leaving stock trading out of it (though there are no advantages there either) what does RH do well with crypto? Are their trading fees low? Do they have a lot of coins to choose from? We already all know that you can't withdraw coins from them to hold or transfer to another exchange.

Crypto exchanges are not linked to each other so you're trading internally. If you're investing any amount of serious money you should want an exchange that has a large user base, low fees, a good interface, and a good number of coin pairs.

There are so many better choices than RH as long as you don't "live" in NY. The US based ones have high fees (coinbase, kraken, gemini) compared to the asian ones (binance, kucoin, bittrex, etc). All of them allow you to withdraw coins that you bought. It used to be necessary to have a US exchange account in order to get from $ to coins the first time, but now you can deposit $ to binance US and maybe others, sparing the need for gateway accounts.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1501 on: February 22, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
What is the appeal of RH?

No fees, plus ease of access to stocks and crypto in one place. IMO, not worth the price you pay in other ways, but that's the appeal.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 22, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
I hear you. Just the idea when all of the sudden all of all crypto drops, not just one coin but all of them together, bitcoin dropping to $47k today morning from $53-54k, doggy coin, ltc, Erthm, all the numbers coming down. So it's a quick sell and hopefully a steeper drop to come and reinvest at that point.
  Basically playing the market on the flip side pulling out at it's high and putting when it's low, ( Though it's a little different here being that you're pulling out when the price starts to decrease).

It seems you guys are concerned that the risk out weights any possible gains.

There’s no risk in getting out per se. If it bounces back above a point that you’d buy in again, you can just not buy. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1503 on: February 22, 2021, 11:34:28 AM »
There’s no risk in getting out per se. If it bounces back above a point that you’d buy in again, you can just not buy.

His goal isn't to be out of the game; he wants to buy back in. With that goal in mind, there is risk that he won't be able to buy in cheaper than he got out. For context, his question was posted at the absolute bottom of a 20% dip. It already bounced back 13.5%.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 22, 2021, 11:38:48 AM »
No fees, plus ease of access to stocks and crypto in one place. IMO, not worth the price you pay in other ways, but that's the appeal.

Thanks, that makes sense. If they're saying no fees for crypto I'd bet that you're still paying more than a trading fee in the bid/ask spread, since RH is the only market maker for trades on RH. But I get the appeal and for most people as long as your limit order gets filled the spread is irrelevant.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1505 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:32 AM »

Does RH allow crypto in an IRA? If yes, is it less efficient than GBTC, ETHE (and GDLC)?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 22, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
His goal isn't to be out of the game; he wants to buy back in. With that goal in mind, there is risk that he won't be able to buy in cheaper than he got out. For context, his question was posted at the absolute bottom of a 20% dip. It already bounced back 13.5%.

Yah good thing he no sell. 

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 22, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
Yah good thing he no sell.

Check back tomorrow and tell me if it was good

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 22, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

Even then, better sell now than 3 hours ago.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1509 on: February 22, 2021, 12:16:57 PM »
Are you hinting something?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1510 on: February 22, 2021, 12:19:57 PM »
I guess the correct thing to do at a time when it drops 20%, is buy additional shares/coins in a company Vs unloading even at a profit with the hope for it to tank even further.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 22, 2021, 01:12:29 PM »
I guess the correct thing to do at a time when it drops 20%, is buy additional shares/coins in a company Vs unloading even at a profit with the hope for it to tank even further.

There is no blanket "correct" way to do these things. Every asset is different, every circumstance is different, and every investor has different ideas and different goals.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 22, 2021, 02:11:06 PM »
Are you hinting something?

No hints.. I've been explicit. My belief is we're very near a top for this cycle and I'm nearly 100% out. So many people I talk to are just starting to jump in now and that's giving me deja vu from last time. The slow but steady climb in Mar-Dec last year was fantastic for people who have been in crypto the whole time and for professional investors who caught the trend. That was followed by massive pumping and hype in January, which resulted in a lot of getting-rich-quick and an influx of the least knowledgeable investors. Everyone joining the party in February is playing musical chairs.

As I've already acknowledged, I could be calling this way too early. The never ending money printing from never ending stimulus bills is creating massive inflationary pressure both in the stock market and with crypto (and of course elsewhere) and there's no reason why another $1.9T of manufactured money wouldn't cause an even greater demand for deflationary instruments like bitcoin (which in turn pulls up crypto in general). However, I prefer to get out now even if it's too early rather than risk seeing a year's worth of gains erased if we go over the cliff when I'm not looking.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 22, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
No hints.. I've been explicit. My belief is we're very near a top for this cycle and I'm nearly 100% out. So many people I talk to are just starting to jump in now and that's giving me deja vu from last time. The slow but steady climb in Mar-Dec last year was fantastic for people who have been in crypto the whole time and for professional investors who caught the trend. That was followed by massive pumping and hype in January, which resulted in a lot of getting-rich-quick and an influx of the least knowledgeable investors. Everyone joining the party in February is playing musical chairs.

As I've already acknowledged, I could be calling this way too early. The never ending money printing from never ending stimulus bills is creating massive inflationary pressure both in the stock market and with crypto (and of course elsewhere) and there's no reason why another $1.9T of manufactured money wouldn't cause an even greater demand for deflationary instruments like bitcoin (which in turn pulls up crypto in general). However, I prefer to get out now even if it's too early rather than risk seeing a year's worth of gains erased if we go over the cliff when I'm not looking.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense and anyone who has made significant profits from the last year in crypto should definitely start taking profits or at least have a strategy to reduce risk exposure and  realize gains. However, I think there is a big difference between being long bitcoin and other coins when we speak about "cryptocurrency". IMO, altcoins are there for quick profits for the most part but bitcoin can be viewed as a longer term investment and a hedge against the crashing U.S dollar. Michael Burry ("The Big Short" guy) had a series of tweets over the weekend where he explained how we are entering hyperinflation period similar to what happened after WW2. This is a very strong reason to hold Bitcoin even if one does not believe it will eventually replace fiat (which is unlikely), it can be used as a store of value until the end of the inflation cycle, sort of like a savings account. Personally, I have not reduced my Bitcoin exposure but have sold much of my altcoin allocation. Also, the intuitional money that will be entering the market in the next few months is also a very strong bull case for Bitcoin, but not necessarily altcoins. (perhaps selective categories that become hot like Defi, NFT, lending, faster/cheaper alternatives to ETH etc.)

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 22, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »

What you are saying makes a lot of sense and anyone who has made significant profits from the last year in crypto should definitely start taking profits or at least have a strategy to reduce risk exposure and  realize gains. However, I think there is a big difference between being long bitcoin and other coins when we speak about "cryptocurrency". IMO, altcoins are there for quick profits for the most part but bitcoin can be viewed as a longer term investment and a hedge against the crashing U.S dollar. Michael Burry ("The Big Short" guy) had a series of tweets over the weekend where he explained how we are entering hyperinflation period similar to what happened after WW2. This is a very strong reason to hold Bitcoin even if one does not believe it will eventually replace fiat (which is unlikely), it can be used as a store of value until the end of the inflation cycle, sort of like a savings account. Personally, I have not reduced my Bitcoin exposure but have sold much of my altcoin allocation. Also, the intuitional money that will be entering the market in the next few months is also a very strong bull case for Bitcoin, but not necessarily altcoins. (perhaps selective categories that become hot like Defi, NFT, lending, faster/cheaper alternatives to ETH etc.)

I like your perspective. But do you see any reason why Bitcoin should be a store of value as opposed to Ethereum (or others)? I hear a lot of people saying bitcoin is a store of value but they started saying it louder only after it became impossible to believe bitcoin would be a transactional currency (tx fees, 10 minute blocks, lack of scalability, etc). This is all thinking behind the curve- meaning that we are giving a hindsight explanation to justify the current price level. In my opinion, bitcoin doesn't store value any better than the many other coins that operate on their own network, and it is only its massive size (>60% of crypto market) that slows it from steering off course. Institutional investors do not yet fully comprehend the crypto market but once they do I believe a lot more support will go to alt coins. A new contender will also be touted as a "store of value". Give it 5 more years and BTC might be down to 1/3 market dominance or less.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: February 22, 2021, 04:17:07 PM »
I agree with a lot of what was said in the previous 3 posts, but I have mixed feelings about some of it. It's very likely that we're near the top of this cycle under normal conditions, but I think an injection of stimulus money can really ignite the market, fueled by all the people FOMO-ing on the sidelines without extra cash to play with. I think this will push the alts more than BTC and ETH, just because of the illusion of a high price of entry. Everyone is chasing the moon. The parabolic activity that has started is off-putting for a lot of people with lower risk thresholds, and safe money will take profits now and sit out. However, along with the extreme volatility comes great opportunity, especially on the backs of everyone who are just jumping in now. There are also a lot more institutional players with very deep pockets this time, which may keep the floor from dropping as far as it has in previous cycles.

With regards to few coins having long value, I think it's bigger than just BTC. There are a number of projects with practical case use and big institutional investment that should do well long term. I think looking at Nasdaq crypto index and Grayscale's holdings give a bit on insight into where a lot of the institutional money is. It is a very high-risk space, though. I think it's like trying to pick a tech stock during the dotcom bubble - some are gold, some are good ideas that will go nowhere, and some are just empty hype. Personally, I don't think the risk is a reason to leave the space altogether. I just wouldn't plan my retirement around crypto.

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 23, 2021, 07:12:03 AM »

Seems like you had a good point. Big correction to Bitcoin (and other cryptos) happening now.
Just curious, are buying back some BTC at this level?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 23, 2021, 07:42:05 AM »
Why buy btc now if you can just wait for it to be 5k and buy then

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1518 on: February 23, 2021, 07:49:40 AM »
Why buy btc now if you can just wait for it to be 5k and buy then

And miss the entire Rollercoaster ride? I don't think @Dan is one to give a good Rollercoaster ride a pass.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 23, 2021, 09:37:01 AM »
Seems like you had a good point. Big correction to Bitcoin (and other cryptos) happening now.
Just curious, are buying back some BTC at this level?

No. I'm content to sit out for now because I think its the people who missed out on the good months who are driving the bus now. Well aware that I could miss out on the next runup, but it's not a risk I'm comfortable with.