Author Topic: Capital One Venture Rewards CC  (Read 11579 times)

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
Re: Capital One Venture Rewards CC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:49:14 PM »
As dan always says, Friends dont let friends use capital one ;D

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:52:21 PM »
Maybe so.... but on paper it looks good no?

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »

Ive been with Cap 1 for yrs and use it when out of the US all the time. Besides getting a 1 1/4 % rebate theres no 3% Forex fees on the transactions

So I will let whom ever wants to knock or not get the card waste their $$ by using a different CC when Overseas as I will Continue using Cap1 and save some nice $$

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »
Ive been with Cap 1 for yrs and use it when out of the US all the time. Besides getting a 1 1/4 % rebate theres no 3% Forex fees on the transactions

So I will let whom ever wants to knock or not get the card waste their $$ by using a different CC when Overseas as I will Continue using Cap1 and save some nice $$
That's nice, and Schwab gives me 2% and no forex.

Still nothing can touch the returns from the Starwood AMEX in the US.  And if I'm making a questionable purchase overseas that I may need to dispute I'll still turn to my Starwood.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
Right, but in this case where I get two miles per dollar spent vs the one per aadvantage or 1.25 if you do the twenty tho transfer bonus on starwood, isn't this cap one advantageous?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:26:15 PM »
Right, but in this case where I get two miles per dollar spent vs the one per aadvantage or 1.25 if you do the twenty tho transfer bonus on starwood, isn't this cap one advantageous?

Doesnt seem like they are real miles. They cant be transferred to AA, US, etc. Or can they?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Doesnt seem like they are real miles. They cant be transferred to AA, US, etc. Or can they?
They can't be transferred to any real miles.
Starwood points right now for example can be transferred to US at a 20,000:37,500 ratio or to AA at a 20,000:33,750 ratio.

So if you want to go first class to Europe on a ticket that would cost $15,000 expect to pay 1,500,000 Capital One points instead of say 60,000-80,000 Starpoints.

Yes, if you use your miles for $250 domestic tickets then you could wind up better with the Capital One, but otherwise it's not even in the same ballpark.

Also Starpoints can be extremely valuable at hotels, especially during peak season redemptions or with cash and points, or nights & flights, etc.

I'm not very familiar with this particular card, but Capital One usually has other strings attached, like how far in advance tickets need to be booked or how long you can stay for.

In addition proprietary program very often heavily devalue your points after you earn them.  Capital One has done this in the past making points worth far less, as has Citi Thank You points, etc.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:36:13 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Just a quick summary of what I found by reading the info on this card;
It doesnt have the issue of;
but Capital One usually has other strings attached, like how far in advance tickets need to be booked or how long you can stay for.
Because they let you book travel (airfare/hotel/cruise etc..) on any site or with any travel agent and then once the charge shows up you can redeem points to offset the charge on a basis of $10= 1000 points. This is pretty good because you have the flexibility of booking wherever you find the best deal and are basically getting 2% cash back (earn 2 miles per $ spent on the card) to be spent on travel. Also you will be able to earn miles and EQM's etc... because it is a "paid fare".

The downside of being a proprietary program still stands though and you never know if they will be devalued all of a sudden...

I guess the Schwab 2% cash back still beats this card as you can use that on non-travel too...

So you still cant get that big bang for your miles by booking luxury class long haul flights or the great spg C & P deals.... but for regular travel and the flexibility of booking at any hotel it might not be too bad...

(p.s. I am not "sticking up" for capital one  :D, just trying to analyze this card subjectively...)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 04:48:51 PM by Mikeoracle »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
That's nice, and Schwab gives me 2% and no forex.

Still nothing can touch the returns from the Starwood AMEX in the US.  And if I'm making a questionable purchase overseas that I may need to dispute I'll still turn to my Starwood.

1- I heard that Schwab stopped issuing their CCs so unless a person had 1 from before no way to get 1 now. Since the person was asking which CC to get Schwab isnt in the ball park

as for SPG at 3% on Forex (2.875%) U can keep it and use it if that makes you happy, then again U might as well simply take a
$50 bill and burn it

The Cap 1 is used by me only when Overseas which is a good # of trips every year and so far in '10 I have $114 coming back to me so that = a very nice savings over what I would have paid for the Forex Fees or grand savings of 3% & 1 1/4 % rebates = 4 1/4% U can keep SG or whatever Pts or Miles CC U wish to use

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Just a quick summary of what I found by reading the info on this card;
It doesnt have the issue of;Because they let you book travel (airfare/hotel/cruise etc..) on any site or with any travel agent and then once the charge shows up you can redeem points to offset the charge on a basis of $10= 1000 points. This is pretty good because you have the flexibility of booking wherever you find the best deal and are basically getting 2% cash back (earn 2 miles per $ spent on the card) to be spent on travel. Also you will be able to earn miles and EQM's etc... because it is a "paid fare".

The downside of being a proprietary program still stands though and you never know if they will be devalued all of a sudden...

I guess the Schwab 2% cash back still beats this card as you can use that on non-travel too...

So you still cant get that big bang for your miles by booking luxury class long haul flights or the great spg C & P deals.... but for regular travel and the flexibility of booking at any hotel it might not be too bad...

(p.s. I am not "sticking up" for capital one  :D, just trying to analyze this card subjectively...)
Even for regular travel, I just booked someone a $1,500 last minute RT coach ticket on CO from LAX-CLE nonstop for 25,000 miles.  That would be 150,000 Capital One points.  Miles aren't just advantageous in coach.
You also have to factor the $59 fee on the Capital One card.
And it won't have all the benefits AMEX has like excellent online dispute resolution, return protection, money back warranty protection, etc.

1- I heard that Schwab stopped issuing their CCs so unless a person had 1 from before no way to get 1 now. Since the person was asking which CC to get Schwab isnt in the ball park

as for SPG at 3% on Forex (2.875%) U can keep it and use it if that makes you happy, then again U might as well simply take a
$50 bill and burn it

The Cap 1 is used by me only when Overseas which is a good # of trips every year and so far in '10 I have $114 coming back to me so that = a very nice savings over what I would have paid for the Forex Fees or grand savings of 3% & 1 1/4 % rebates = 4 1/4% U can keep SG or whatever Pts or Miles CC U wish to use
Now sure why using SPG in another country is burning money.  I've seen transactions these days at 3 cents per Starpoint due to the AA promo.  Not to mention when I bought a horribly defective GPS in Israel and the store wouldn't take it back AMEX refunded my money without any problem...There are other benefits to a good credit card company besides the points.

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:22:04 PM »
This seems to be the only thread for the capital one venture card. Does anyone know if you got the sign up bonus (currently at 50000 points) for this card can you also get the signup bonus for the capital one venture one card?
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
This seems to be the only thread for the capital one venture card. Does anyone know if you got the sign up bonus (currently at 50000 points) for this card can you also get the signup bonus for the capital one venture one card?
Yes. However Cap1 is hard coded to auto decline more than 1 app per 6 months.

Offline sams

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 03:42:35 PM »
Spark 100k still possible besides for mailer ?

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 07:15:16 PM »

couldn't resist applying for the 100k miles offer that came in the mail.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »
Card now comes with Global Entry credit.

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 04:42:24 PM »
Easy to be approved with frozen EX in NY?

Yes. However Cap1 is hard coded to auto decline more than 1 app per 6 months.
Can recon override such a decline?

Offline Sammyonetwo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
capital one 75K bonus just in
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
been waiting for some time.

couldn't find an existing thread.

75k bonus for 5k spending

Offline SearchGuy