Topic Wiki

To start off, if a woman is pregnant with first child, only she is eligible. If you already have a kid the whole family including husband can get it. If you aren't pregnant and don't have kids NJ doesn't care about you unfortunately. - This will change in October 2013 when they will begin accepting adults even without children....

Check out the income chart. If you're in the blue, your whole family is eligible. If you're in the red, only your kids get it and you may have to pay a little.

Fill out an application and send it in to your counties office (find yours here,) along with copies of birth cert., drivers licenses, recent paystubs, letter saying you are a student, proof of address, proof of income and whatever else you can think of. Most people go with United Healthcare but find out if the doctors that you want to use for some reason don't take it but take a different HMO then select that one on the application. There is a big backlog so it may take a few months to get on. Once you're on they mail you a renewal form once a year. There is a way to apply online. Only do that if you already have a kid. If you are pregnant with your first, you have to apply to the county by mailing it to your county office.

If you need additional help, contact LRRC in Lakewood 732-942-9292

h/t MarkS
« Last edited by Chuck2 on May 19, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »

Author Topic: Medicaid in NJ  (Read 13506 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Medicaid in NJ
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
What are the requirements to be eligible in NJ?
Which company is good to sign up for? (best doctors, lowest co-pays, etc.)

Any other knowledge or information is much appreciated; I'm a real n00b when it comes to insurance in the US.
TIA :)
Visibly Jewish

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Medicaid in NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
NJ is not anywhere near as easy to be eligible for medicaid as in NY.

If you're not a pregnant, single, minority, good luck.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
NJ is not anywhere near as easy to be eligible for medicaid as in NY.

If you're not a pregnant, single, minority, good luck.

Thanks or the info.
Are there any good companies in NY that are widely accepted in NJ?
Visibly Jewish

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Thanks or the info.
Are there any good companies in NY that are widely accepted in NJ?

You'd then have to be eligible (and prove residency) in NY.

Once you have it, you have it. That's my understanding.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »
It's not thaat complicated.

To start off, if a woman is pregnant with first child, only she is eligible. If you already have a kid the whole family including husband can get it. If you aren't pregnant and don't have kids NJ doesn't care about you unfortunately.
First, look at the income chart. If you're in the blue, your whole family is eligible. If you're in the red, only your kids get it and you may have to pay a little.

Fill out an application and send it in to your counties office (find yours here.) along with copies of birth cert., Drivers licenses, recent paystubs, letter saying you are a student, proof of address, proof of income and whatever else you can think of. Most people go with United Healthcare but find out if the doctors that you want to use for some reason don't take it but take a different HMO then select that one on the application.

There is a big backlog so it may take a few months to get on. Once you're on they mail you a renewal form once a year.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:50:17 PM by MarkS »

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
What are the requirements to be eligible in NJ?
Which company is good to sign up for? (best doctors, lowest co-pays, etc.)

Any other knowledge or information is much appreciated; I'm a real n00b when it comes to insurance in the US.
TIA :)
United health care is definitely the best HMO to choose in NJ
(Whats a copay btw? ;)

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
United health care is definitely the best HMO to choose in NJ
(Whats a copay btw? ;)
Oops, that's what I meant. I fixed my post above (got confused because it used to be called Americhoice).

Lol, not sure what a copay is either, but I hear all these people on fancy paid insurance plans paying them for appointments and medicine :).

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
You'd then have to be eligible (and prove residency) in NY.

Once you have it, you have it. That's my understanding.
Im not so sure, I believe that with Jersey care for example, you are not even covered in a different state..(or so iv heard)

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »
Im not so sure, I believe that with Jersey care for example, you are not even covered in a different state..(or so iv heard)

although my understanding is that you are still covered if you go into the ER

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
From NJ Gov. Christie's budget speech today, (basically expanding Medicaid eligibility)
New Jersey is a leader in the nation in reforming our Medicaid program. Last year the federal government approved our innovative and strategic reform proposal, which does right by the people the program is designed to serve. We have taken groundbreaking steps to ensure high-quality, cost-effective and comprehensive health care for New Jerseyans by focusing on controlling costs, promoting community-based care, preserving hospital funding and integrating primary and behaviorial health care.For example, as a result of our reforms, instead of having the standard Medicaid program that forces seniors into nursing homes as the only option when they need long-term care, our seniors will now have a choice. They will be able to stay in their homes and communities while receiving the services and support they need.It’s simple. We are putting people first.Which is why, after considerable discussion and research, we have decided to participate in Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act. While we already have one of the most expansive and generous Medicaid programs in the nation, including the second highest eligibility rate for children, we have an opportunity to ensure that an even greater number of New Jerseyans who are at or near the poverty line will have access to critical health services beginning in January 2014.For a single adult, 133% of the poverty level is under $16,000 a year. These people are consistently among those who need help the most – men and women who have suffered trauma in their lives, live with mental illness, rely on New Jersey’s emergency rooms for primary health care needs, or those citizens who lack insurance or access to treatment.Expanding Medicaid will ensure New Jersey taxpayers will see their dollars maximized. Federal funding will cover 100% of the costs of this expansion for the first three years and then leveling to 90% in 2020. Let me be clear, refusing these federal dollars does not mean that they won’t be spent. It just means that they will be used to expand health care access in New York, Connecticut, Ohio or somewhere else. Accepting these federal resources will provide health insurance to tens of thousands of low-income New Jerseyans, help keep our hospitals financially healthy and actually save New Jersey taxpayers money. In fact, taxpayers will save approximately $227 million in Fiscal Year 2014 alone. Let me be clear, I am no fan of the Affordable Care Act. I think it is wrong for New Jersey and for America. I fought against it and believe, in the long run, it will not achieve what it promises. However, it is now the law of the land. I will make all my judgments as governor based on what is best for New Jerseyans. That is why I twice vetoed saddling our taxpayers with the untold burden of establishing health exchanges.But in this instance, expanding Medicaid by 104,000 citizens in a program that already serves 1.4 million, is the smart thing to do for our fiscal and public health. If that ever changes because of adverse actions by the Obama Administration, I will end it as quickly as it started.Even without the Affordable Care Act, we have continued to work to provide health care to the uninsured, including many thousands of low-income children through New Jersey family care. This budget continues that effort by providing a $47 million increase for family care.And our commitment to prevention in health care extends beyond Medicaid – it is across the board.
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2013/02/full-text-governor-chris-christie%e2%80%99s-fiscal-year-2014-budget-address.html

http://matzav.com/gov-christie-moves-to-expand-medicaid

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:52 PM »
It's not thaat complicated.

To start off, if a woman is pregnant with first child, only she is eligible. If you already have a kid the whole family including husband can get it. If you aren't pregnant and don't have kids NJ doesn't care about you unfortunately.
First, look at the income chart. If you're in the blue, your whole family is eligible. If you're in the red, only your kids get it and you may have to pay a little.

Fill out an application and send it in to your counties office (find yours here.) along with copies of birth cert., Drivers licenses, recent pastubs, letter saying you are a student, proof of address, proof of income and whatever else you can think of. Most people go with United Healthcare but find out if the doctors that you want to use for some reason don't take it but take a different HMO then select that one on the application.

There is a big backlog so it may take a few months to get on. Once your on they mail you a renewal form once a year.

Informative post; thanks.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
Informative post; thanks.
One more thing:
There is a way to apply online.

Only do that if you already have a kid. If you are pregnant with your first, you have to apply to the county by mailing it to your county office.

Offline yeshivaman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
helpful org for this is LRRC in Lakewood 7329429292
i wish i knew what i was doing...

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:52 PM »
I'm confused, is it possible for a single adult to become eligible for NJ Medicaid or not?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
I'm confused, is it possible for a single adult to become eligible for NJ Medicaid or not?
Nope!
If you aren't pregnant and don't have kids NJ doesn't care about you unfortunately.
Quote from: http://www.njfamilycare.org/pages/qanda_njkc.html
I am a single adult. Can I still qualify for the NJ FamilyCare program?
No, to assure that there would be sufficient funding for children, NJ FamilyCare had to stop taking applications for adults and couples without dependent children on September 1, 2001.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Thank you MarkS for your very informative posts! Thanks to everyone else who contributed too.
Visibly Jewish

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
There is a two year extension if your earned income goes up above the red line.
Beware as this is only once per lifetime so use only if absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:03:55 AM by Chaikel »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »
Is JerseyCare the name for the state's medicaid program, which pays the insurance company, or is it an HMO like United Healthcare?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:25:16 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:18 AM »
Is JerseyCare the name for the state's medicaid program, which pays the insurance company, or is it an HMO like United Healthcare?