Topic Wiki

To start off, if a woman is pregnant with first child, only she is eligible. If you already have a kid the whole family including husband can get it. If you aren't pregnant and don't have kids NJ doesn't care about you unfortunately. - This will change in October 2013 when they will begin accepting adults even without children....

Check out the income chart. If you're in the blue, your whole family is eligible. If you're in the red, only your kids get it and you may have to pay a little.

Fill out an application and send it in to your counties office (find yours here,) along with copies of birth cert., drivers licenses, recent paystubs, letter saying you are a student, proof of address, proof of income and whatever else you can think of. Most people go with United Healthcare but find out if the doctors that you want to use for some reason don't take it but take a different HMO then select that one on the application. There is a big backlog so it may take a few months to get on. Once you're on they mail you a renewal form once a year. There is a way to apply online. Only do that if you already have a kid. If you are pregnant with your first, you have to apply to the county by mailing it to your county office.

If you need additional help, contact LRRC in Lakewood 732-942-9292

h/t MarkS
« Last edited by Chuck2 on May 19, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »

Author Topic: Medicaid in NJ  (Read 13466 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Medicaid in NJ
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 01:34:11 AM »

Thanks! Now I realize that it's actually called NJ Family Care, that's what was getting me confused. Does anyone know if using LRRC will speed up the sign-up process, as MarkS says it takes a couple of months to get accepted.

Also, added a wiki.
Visibly Jewish

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »
Does anyone know if using LRRC will speed up the sign-up process, as MarkS says it takes a couple of months to get accepted.
No. Try Calling Freeholder Gerry Little's office 2 weeks after mailing your application. He may be able to get it expedited for you.

I know food stamps had a 4-5 month wait and people reported calling him (once their application was mailed in) and getting on the next day.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
Thanks! Now I realize that it's actually called NJ Family Care, that's what was getting me confused. Does anyone know if using LRRC will speed up the sign-up process, as MarkS says it takes a couple of months to get accepted.

Also, added a wiki.
If your persistent you can speed it up. you have to actually have a case worker process your paperwork not just put in his to do pile. You have to be willing to go and sit in the nasty waiting room for three hours and beg to see a caseworker, get him to to file it. Make sure every single document is there, not having a document will cause a six month delay and will P-off the worker...
Also its imperative to get a half decent worker, most are borderline insane....
Next step is to get hold of your workers supervisor who has the authority to tell your worker to file your case by the end of the day/week. It is no easy task to get hold of her or convince her. In this business HUCA means a million times trying random numbers in the sequence hoping to catch a person who wont slam down the phone or maybe a supervisor...

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:25:02 AM »
I also recommend speaking to the LRRC to make sure you have every possibly required document. If you are unsure ask them. A missing document is a sure delay of months.
If you file by mail and cross every T, dot every I etc you should get it within 3 months though.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:44 AM »
I have also confirmed that they are matching income, IE if you rent your basement to  tenant but do not report your rental income but your tenant who is also on programs deducts the expense they will bust you.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
@MarkS
Isn't that what Christie said in his speech that singles DO qualify?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »
@MarkS
Isn't that what Christie said in his speech that singles DO qualify?
I just skimmed through it now. Looks like he's saying that's an opportunity that may start in 2014. If and when that happens the system will get crazy flooded making the waiting period even worse than it is now!

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
Well, the current system makes no sense for me.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
Just got a letter stating "been terminated due to failure to complete and return renewal forms to agency". I never got any renewal form. What is my best recourse?
Any advice much appreciated.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
Just got a letter stating "been terminated due to failure to complete and return renewal forms to agency". I never got any renewal form. What is my best recourse?
Any advice much appreciated.
Sorry for your loss :(
Its gonna be tough, they wont let you back for three months. Officially they claim that you are responsible for renewing the application.
You are going to have to get a supervisor to help you, they are hard to get hold of...

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
Sorry for your loss :(
Its gonna be tough, they wont let you back for three months. Officially they claim that you are responsible for renewing the application.
You are going to have to get a supervisor to help you, they are hard to get hold of...
Do I need to fill out the regular application or is there a shorter renewal form available?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
Do I need to fill out the regular application or is there a shorter renewal form available?
IME the renewal is always the same as a new one for JC anyway...
Definitely ask your case worker first if it can be faster than a new ap

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
I sent my renewal in a week after Sandy. What is the ETA to get a letter back from them that im renewed?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:31 AM »
I sent my renewal in a week after Sandy. What is the ETA to get a letter back from them that im renewed?
Many months but you won't lose your current coverage in the meantime.

Offline ELIG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
you can loose your coverage, they give some extra time and then you loose it, because of their backlog your kids can be without insurance for some time, chemed in lakewood has a temp insurance that works for a month or 2 for free, so if you loose it, check them ouy

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
You should have got a response sometime in January. But as long as they got your renewal in their system, you won't be terminated.

(Even though they send in their renewal letter that if you don't return the documents by XXXX you will get terminated, its not really the case)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Does anyone know if I would get reimbursed for private insurance that I pay for while waiting to get accepted to NJ Famly Care?
Visibly Jewish

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
Does anyone know if I would get reimbursed for private insurance that I pay for while waiting to get accepted to NJ Famly Care?
I know of a guy who got them to retroactively pay medical expenses. (Because they delayed him 8 months and his wife had a baby etc) No way they gonna pay for your insurance though IMHO

Offline ybeeds

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
    • JewishMusicStream.com
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
The LRRC Is not updated!!! they gave me a old application and they didn't tell me about half the documents i needed resulting in alot of wasted time (and gas)
My office buzzes to the JewishMusicStream!!!

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
The LRRC Is not updated!!! they gave me a old application and they didn't tell me about half the documents i needed resulting in alot of wasted time (and gas)

Can you share with us the proper documents that are needed?
Also I cannot get in touch with LRRC as I wait on hold forever and the call automatically hangs up after 24 minutes.
Any ideas?
Visibly Jewish