List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:
« Last edited by davidmal on October 10, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »

Author Topic: Jordan Master Thread  (Read 95481 times)

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: October 06, 2022, 04:09:39 PM »
fair point but the same can be said about lots of the kevarim in E"Y too. Many not in the north are believed to be kevarim of biblical figures based on the "mesorah" of the muslim and FWIW there are those that say muslim tradition can be relied upon in this regard

Could you name one ?

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 07, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
Could you name one ?
Kalev, Yehoshua, Potentially Kever Yosef, pretty much most of the kevarim in Yehuda Veshomron.

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 08, 2022, 09:37:04 PM »
Kalev, Yehoshua, Potentially Kever Yosef, pretty much most of the kevarim in Yehuda Veshomron.

In that case, would it be halachally permitted to go to Kever Yosef, putting yourself in danger ? Probably not that dangerous to Petra, but is it worth it?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 13, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »
Thinking of flying into Aqaba and back out.
How long would I need to include be'er shel miriam kever aharon and Petra if not shlepping?

I'm still not entirely clear of the entire process.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 14, 2022, 03:33:53 AM »
How long would I need to include be'er shel miriam kever aharon and Petra if not shlepping?

To Petra is 244km / 2 hour drive each way. Kever Aharon is accessed via a trail from Petra park itself. Petra itself,
it really depends how much ground you want to cover. Many day tours spend just 4 hours there, but there is enough
to see there that one can spend weeks exploring. The trail to Kever Aharon can take 3-6 hours depending on your fitness level,
although you can hire a pickup truck to take you majority of the way.

Who said that Be'er shel miriam is in Jordan? https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/123007
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:37:41 AM by Saulius »

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 14, 2022, 11:06:04 AM »

Beer Miriam is a quick stop on the way to Petra with not much to see (if it is even that at all). Our cab driver gladly stopped there for us.

We took a mule ride up to Kever Aharon which I think is the best way as you don't need to hike it. Automobiles wont take you all the way to the top from what I understand. I think the whole back and forth on the mule ride was maybe 4 hours. We stayed at a hotel right outside the gate to Petra and there was some walking involved at the beginning which took some time too. Factor in the drive from Aqaba to petra you can probably pull it off in a full day from morning to night if you were pushing it. But again you might want to actually spend some time in Petra while you already shlepped out there.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2022, 04:45:08 PM »
Thank you very much.
This old lady with the key, how do I get hold of her?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2022, 09:32:52 AM »
Thank you very much.
This old lady with the key, how do I get hold of her?
Highly doubt she has a phone or what not - she lives in a hut on top of the mountain (at least as of 8-9 years ago and I doubt much changed).

The guys trying to sell their mule rides to you will know who she is and how to talk to her. (keep in mind you'll have to tip her ofc)

Also make sure you haggle a lot. They will jump on you right when you walk in through the gates of petra offering mule rides etc (just to walk through petra since it is a lot of walking) and you can just keep walking and say you only want to walk and they will keep following you and knocking the price down as you go until it gets to a point you think is reasonable. And if they realize you are interested in kever aharon they will bother you even more since it is quite a trip.

And totally random - but when i wasw there the convenience store at the beginning had a ton of American stuff with hashgachos (pringles etc). Wouldn't rely on it but good to know.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 19, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »
Highly doubt she has a phone or what not - she lives in a hut on top of the mountain (at least as of 8-9 years ago and I doubt much changed).

The guys trying to sell their mule rides to you will know who she is and how to talk to her. (keep in mind you'll have to tip her ofc)

Also make sure you haggle a lot. They will jump on you right when you walk in through the gates of petra offering mule rides etc (just to walk through petra since it is a lot of walking) and you can just keep walking and say you only want to walk and they will keep following you and knocking the price down as you go until it gets to a point you think is reasonable. And if they realize you are interested in kever aharon they will bother you even more since it is quite a trip.

And totally random - but when i wasw there the convenience store at the beginning had a ton of American stuff with hashgachos (pringles etc). Wouldn't rely on it but good to know.
although you should def gauge when talking with the person selling you the mule ride to see if they really know what they are talking about or just trying to sell you a ride.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 19, 2022, 10:08:36 AM »
although you should def gauge when talking with the person selling you the mule ride to see if they really know what they are talking about or just trying to sell you a ride.

Right, I'll have to wear a t-shirt saying that I'm not American = less bothering and better prices.

What are you guys paying this old lady after haggling?  I shall use it as starting point.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 19, 2022, 10:12:05 AM »
Right, I'll have to wear a t-shirt saying that I'm not American = less bothering and better prices.

What are you guys paying this old lady after haggling?  I shall use it as starting point.
lol but its obvious you are a tourist anyhow. Its just a matter of you playing it cool - as if you dont care walking and you dont care too much to go to Kever Aharon and you dont care to actually go into the Kever, even though that is exactly the purpose of your whole trip. I have no recollection as to how much we paid. Maybe 20? 60 dinar? not sure.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 19, 2022, 10:17:55 AM »
lol but its obvious you are a tourist anyhow. Its just a matter of you playing it cool - as if you dont care walking and you dont care too much to go to Kever Aharon and you dont care to actually go into the Kever, even though that is exactly the purpose of your whole trip. I have no recollection as to how much we paid. Maybe 20? 60 dinar? not sure.

Right, but also, I also tell to the other offering how much the others offered.
Either they join forces, but usually it's on auto destruct.
So I just watch as it is being auto-haggled.

Offline normaly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 01, 2022, 01:58:45 AM »
Anyone have recommendations of a tour guide that can pick me up at one of the land borders to go to petra Hor Nebo etc?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 02, 2022, 02:48:14 PM »
Anyone have recommendations of a tour guide that can pick me up at one of the land borders to go to petra Hor Nebo etc?

Usually, one gets a taxi at the border - (there is public transportation / buses, but one must take the taxi to the Bus station in Amman or Aqaba).
In Petra, at the ticket office, one can hire an official accredited tour guide - although the guides are not adding much -  (you can overhear them while you explore yourself). The visitor center provides maps of the trail routes, and you can read about all the history from the signage all around.

See: https://www.visitpetra.jo/ -- tour guide fees: https://visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=138

Offline normaly

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2022, 08:02:27 PM »
Any issues of bringing in tefillin?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 24, 2022, 08:28:51 PM »
Any issues of bringing in tefillin?
I think they are aware that ppl bring it in so as long as it isn't in their face they won't bother you. We put them in socks to be sure but dk if it's necessary. But again nothing is guaranteed either way

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 05, 2023, 06:07:26 PM »
So I'm on my way to there.
A misconception that I just realized is, that Aqaba to Petras isn't much closer than Amman to Petras.

Anyone ever rented a car there?
Is there a specific place to park by Petras, close to the climb to Aharon's kever?

Any more specifics concerning the key or guide to get up there?

Offline kosherjid

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 06, 2023, 04:16:35 PM »
A misconception that I just realized is, that Aqaba to Petras isn't much closer than Amman to Petras.

Is there a specific place to park by Petras, close to the climb to Aharon's kever?

Aharon's kever ?!? You must be joking. Probably a tomb of some sheikh....

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 06, 2023, 05:34:43 PM »

If renting a car, you need to do your research and check all the reviews, as there are lots of shady companies renting cars that are not road worthy.   Also, avoid driving in downtown Amman, as it's very chaotic. On the highways, you will encounter police checkpoints, where the police will check your documents.

There is parking by the visitors center / nearby to the Movenpick hotel.  Once you are in the park, you go by foot, unless you hire a guide with a donkey.
You can get a trail map by the visitors center.  If going without a guide, use a trail app or download to yours GPS: https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/petra-jabal-haroun-trail-45630546 .

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2023, 09:01:32 AM »
Thank you for your comments.
I've informed by knowledgeable people and talmidei chachomim in the subject and all agree that Aharons kever according to Jews is there according to the different mesoras.
So to all those who like to nudge about it, please just stop.

Miriams well - Be'er shel Miriam which supposedly is in the hood, according to may Sforim is in the region of the Kineret and Tveria (Tiberias) and so I deliberately skipped it.