List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:
« Last edited by davidmal on October 10, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »

Author Topic: Jordan Master Thread  (Read 93789 times)

Online efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan Master Thread
« Reply #401 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
For those comfortable to fly Royal Jordanian, they've got RT flights from Ord-TLV, even for Sukkot and Pesach for $655 RT and you can earn Avios.  Flights also leave late at night and arrive early afternoon so it's easy to make connections for people like me that live OOT (cheapest flights from Denver are about $1200).

Offline high end hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2016, 04:54:05 PM »
Looking to go from Eilat to stay at the IC Aquaba on Sukkos, any updates whether I can get a Visa at the border?

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:13 PM »
Looking to go from Eilat to stay at the IC Aquaba on Sukkos, any updates whether I can get a Visa at the border?
Are you asking if anything changed recently? Couple years ago when I went I got one at the Eilat border crossing

Offline high end hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
Are you asking if anything changed recently? Couple years ago when I went I got one at the Eilat border crossing
http://international.visitjordan.com/mobile/GeneralInformation/EntryIntoJordan.aspx

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2017, 09:17:48 AM »
Any recent updates on the travel situation to Jordan?

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
Also, if there is any up to date info about getting to Aharon HaKohens kever + how to get the key...
Thanks a lot.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
Also, if there is any up to date info about getting to Aharon HaKohens kever + how to get the key...
Thanks a lot.
when I was there about 4years ago (and presuambly nothing in that country changed since then) there was a bedouin lady who lived on top of the mountain right before The kever who had the key and you have to give her a couple of dinar otherwise she won't open it. But bargain her down cuz her original asking price was nuts. I guess act as if you don't care too much to go into the actual kever. Otherwise she knows she's got the upper hand.
As far as getting there goes as soon as you walk into Petra you'll see all the miles and horse and you'll have anout 50 of these guys hounding you to try to get you to take a mule ride thru Petra. Just ask them for Jaboul Aharun and they'll know what your talking about. Again , as with anything in Jordan bargain them down. They originally wanted something like 75 dinar a person I think we got it for about 120 for 4 people total.

And just a tip bring lots of water with you. It's a desert and you'll dehydrate very quickly and you'll be stuck paying that bedouin lady 25 dinar for some polluted water where you have no idea where she got it from. Buy at the shop at the beginning.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:35:20 AM by gubevo18 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 26, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
when I was there about 4years ago (and presuambly nothing in that country changed since then) there was a bedouin lady who lived on top of the mountain right before The kever who had the key and you have to give her a couple of dinar otherwise she won't open it. But bargain her down cuz her original asking price was nuts. I guess act as if you don't care too much to go into the actual kever. Otherwise she knows she's got the upper hand.
As far as getting there goes as soon as you walk into Petra you'll see all the miles and horse and you'll have anout 50 of these guys hounding you to try to get you to take a mule ride thru Petra. Just ask them for Jaboul Aharun and they'll know what your talking about. Again , as with anything in Jordan bargain them down. They originally wanted something like 75 dinar a person I think we got it for about 120 for 4 people total.
Thanks a lot.
What times should I estimate duration from x to y, etc
If I rent a car, will I save or multiply headaches?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Thanks a lot.
What times should I estimate duration from x to y, etc
If I rent a car, will I save or multiply headaches?
just edited that post to add the water advice.
We didn't rent a car so I don't know about that but if your going with a couple of people cab will work just fine.
We were there for 2 nights and two days
We got there at night just before the border crossing closed and took a cab to Petra where we stayed in a hotel that we found on kayak. It was about $50 a night and very decent. It was about a 5 minute walk to the entsnce of Petra. No cars are allowed in Petra so it won't help you in there. On the way to the hotel at night our driver stopped at some souvenir stores for us.  They have these massive stores that only sell hookah products. Over there they call it nargeelah or something like that. He had no idea what we were talking about when we said hookah. He also took us to wadi musa which is what they claim is be'er Miriam although according to the Torah we don't know where it is but I guess it's worth a stop anyhow.

We basically spent the entire day in Petra. There is a ton of walking and the mule ride to Kever Aharon was about 4 hours round trip IIRC. we walked out of Petra and walked a few minutes in to town to get a cab to Aqaba. We didn't want to get ripped off at the Petra gate where only tourists hail cabs. We literally spent about half our time there haggling prices. It's insane  it can make you crazy.
In Aqaba we stayed k. Some other hotel we found online. It was very decent and very clean. It was very Arabic in design which was interesting.
We walked around a bit and checked out some shops. The next morning we went to a beach that is basically just for tourists. It costs like 5 dinar to get in but it was worth it. There are pools and showers there as well. You can even rent snorkel gear and go your self. (we really enjoyed that ).
After that we of course bargained with some cab to the us to wadi rum atving. That was really amazing.
From there we took a cab back to the border to get there before closing. Don't forget to stop at duty free. They had some really good deals.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:43 AM »
just edited that post to add the water advice.
We didn't rent a car so I don't know about that but if your going with a couple of people cab will work just fine.
We were there for 2 nights and two days
We got there at night just before the border crossing closed and took a cab to Petra where we stayed in a hotel that we found on kayak. It was about $50 a night and very decent. It was about a 5 minute walk to the entsnce of Petra. No cars are allowed in Petra so it won't help you in there. On the way to the hotel at night our driver stopped at some souvenir stores for us.  They have these massive stores that only sell hookah products. Over there they call it nargeelah or something like that. He had no idea what we were talking about when we said hookah. He also took us to wadi musa which is what they claim is be'er Miriam although according to the Torah we don't know where it is but I guess it's worth a stop anyhow.

We basically spent the entire day in Petra. There is a ton of walking and the mule ride to Kever Aharon was about 4 hours round trip IIRC. we walked out of Petra and walked a few minutes in to town to get a cab to Aqaba. We didn't want to get ripped off at the Petra gate where only tourists hail cabs. We literally spent about half our time there haggling prices. It's insane  it can make you crazy.
In Aqaba we stayed k. Some other hotel we found online. It was very decent and very clean. It was very Arabic in design which was interesting.
We walked around a bit and checked out some shops. The next morning we went to a beach that is basically just for tourists. It costs like 5 dinar to get in but it was worth it. There are pools and showers there as well. You can even rent snorkel gear and go your self. (we really enjoyed that ).
After that we of course bargained with some cab to the us to wadi rum atving. That was really amazing.
From there we took a cab back to the border to get there before closing. Don't forget to stop at duty free. They had some really good deals.
So Petra and Aharon is no problem in one day.
Visiting Aharons kever is an official attraction, and when you say Petra I imagine a little city connected to those rocks?

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »

And just a tip bring lots of water with you. It's a desert and you'll dehydrate very quickly and you'll be stuck paying that bedouin lady 25 dinar for some polluted water where you have no idea where she got it from. Buy at the shop at the beginning.
Strange how the Jordanian government who is working on growing tourism has a bedouin woman hold the key and charging whatever she wants to open it!!!
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 26, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »
So Petra and Aharon is no problem in one day.
Visiting Aharons kever is an official attraction, and when you say Petra I imagine a little city connected to those rocks?
yes. You take a mule ride from the Petra gate or once your in the ancient ruins you can find there too. But you might as well take it earlier than later so you can save yourself some walking. . Petra officialy is the ancient city. The city where people live outside is called something else.  Yes you should be able to do them both in a day if you get an early start.
Strange how the Jordanian government who is working on growing tourism has a bedouin woman hold the key and charging whatever she wants to open it!!!
well I don't think that Aharon hakohens kever is much of an attraction for anyone other than Jews.  Also the kever is so remote that there is no way of keeping anyone from putting their own lock on it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:48:21 PM by gubevo18 »

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
I have a 6 hr stopover in AMM, what can I do in that time?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 27, 2017, 01:18:09 AM »
yes. You take a mule ride from the Petra gate or once your in the ancient ruins you can find there too. But you might as well take it earlier than later so you can save yourself some walking. . Petra officialy is the ancient city. The city where people live outside is called something else.  Yes you should be able to do them both in a day if you get an early start. well I don't think that Aharon hakohens kever is much of an attraction for anyone other than Jews.  Also the kever is so remote that there is no way of keeping anyone from putting their own lock on it.
Thanks a lot.
All those mule guys know where to find this lady ?

Also, be'er Miriam is on the way ?

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 27, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
yes. You take a mule ride from the Petra gate or once your in the ancient ruins you can find there too. But you might as well take it earlier than later so you can save yourself some walking. . Petra officialy is the ancient city. The city where people live outside is called something else.  Yes you should be able to do them both in a day if you get an early start. well I don't think that Aharon hakohens kever is much of an attraction for anyone other than Jews.  Also the kever is so remote that there is no way of keeping anyone from putting their own lock on it.
Is it 4 Hours round trip for the mule ride or is it 4 hours one way?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
Thanks a lot.
All those mule guys know where to find this lady ?

Also, be'er Miriam is on the way ?

yeah they all know each other. Maybe just mention to him before you go about the key.
It's right outside the city we went at night before getting to the hotel. Don't think it was out of the way at all.
Is it 4 Hours round trip for the mule ride or is it 4 hours one way?

from what I remember it's 4 RT. But that could also depend on where you start the ride. I believe we walked for a bit before we took someone up in his offer. Although I really don't remember exactly when we took. Could be walked for an hour first could be we didn't walk at all. I'm blank.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #417 on: September 27, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »
Careful though, as there are many reports of the border guards not allowing tefillin into the country

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 27, 2017, 05:02:42 PM »
Careful though, as there are many reports of the border guards not allowing tefillin into the country
Seems like it's rather coming from TLV or looking obviously Jewish.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 27, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
Seems like it's rather coming from TLV or looking obviously Jewish.
it could be recently they got strict. When we went we crossed at Eilat and although we were wearing caps etc. They knew we were Jewish and still didn't give any issue. You can always hide them in your socks if need be. I don't know if that would help but who knows