List of TR's:

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:
« Last edited by davidmal on October 10, 2023, 05:09:10 PM »

Author Topic: Jordan Master Thread  (Read 94848 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Re: Jordan Master Thread
« Reply #440 on: May 18, 2022, 02:05:49 AM »
How crazy is it to land at AMM and drive into Israel? It appears to be less than a two hour drive to Yerushalayim, and there is plenty of direct availability in J for 70K AA.

Drugs to Petra instead and then go to yerusholaim next day

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 18, 2022, 02:45:26 AM »
Drugs to Petra instead and then go to yerusholaim next day
I'd avoid the drugs though

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:00 AM »
How crazy is it to land at AMM and drive into Israel? It appears to be less than a two hour drive to Yerushalayim, and there is plenty of direct availability in J for 70K AA.

As long as you are not an Israeli citizen, then you can use the Allenby Bridge (King Hussein) - which is the closest to Yerushulayim. You would have to take a taxi to the King Hussein / Allenby bridge. (On the budget side, you can take Sariyah Airport Express from airport to Amman city).  In Amman, there are frequent taxis that regularly leave from Tabarbour bus station everytime they fill up with 4-5 passengers and take you to the bridge/border. Once there, you go through the Jordanian border formalities and then you enter no man's land. From there, there is a bus for the 2km over the bridge that leaves when they fill up. Then on the Israeli side, there are two terminals, one for Palestinians and one for non-Palestinian. You have to give in your luggage, and go through the Israeli immigration formalities, and then it's 45km to Yerushulayim. There are vans leaving frequently going straight to Damascus Gate/ Sha'ar Schem / Bāb al-ʿĀmūd (in Arabic). The other two borders are near Beit Shean and the other near Eilat are very quick (no crowds), and do not have the hassle and the no man's land in between. Alternatively, fly with Royal Jordanian the short hop to TLV. Private cars cannot cross the Allenby/King Hussein bridge. The other two borders, private cars can cross, and they change license plates.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2022, 01:09:06 AM »
Thanks already went.
If your American you can get a visa on the spot and don't need a tour guide.
If your Israeli officially you need a tour guide and he can get you a visa on the spot.
What about dual citizenship. Would need IL passport to exit. Any issues?

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2022, 01:12:34 AM »
Wow...

I was told that if you go in low-profile, as in, not placing tfillin on the custom agents, you should be alright.
Turns out I heard wrong.
This is so strange. Is it only land crossing that’s an issue?

I’ve traveled to multiple Muslim countries (that are hostile to Israel) with tfillin and never had an issue.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
This is so strange. Is it only land crossing that’s an issue?

I’ve traveled to multiple Muslim countries (that are hostile to Israel) with tfillin and never had an issue.

Jordan is just upset, as their highways were defaced with Na Na Nachman MeUman graffiti all over, so they don't want the frume yidden in.

Offline Gimpel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC Alaska MVP Aeroplan 25k
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2022, 01:21:54 PM »
Hi I’m planning on crossing the king Hussein bridge next week to do a day in Amman, I already have a multiple entry Jordan visa so Im good with that. But I saw online that you can’t cross back into Israel from that bridge if your Israeli and it’s a crossing for tourists and Palestinians , I’m not Israeli but I do have a student visa from Israel does anyone know if that is an issue? Also anyone know the best way to see Amman for a day?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 28, 2022, 08:44:17 AM »
Hi I’m planning on crossing the king Hussein bridge next week to do a day in Amman, I already have a multiple entry Jordan visa so Im good with that. But I saw online that you can’t cross back into Israel from that bridge if your Israeli and it’s a crossing for tourists and Palestinians , I’m not Israeli but I do have a student visa from Israel does anyone know if that is an issue? Also anyone know the best way to see Amman for a day?

If you are just a student visa holder, you will not have any issue.

If you are just going for a day, be advised that that border crossing can be quite a hassle and very time consuming. It can take hours, as Palestinians are not allowed to use Ben Gurion, or the other border crossings --  that's why better to use the other border crossings, where there will be no queue, plus you do not have to deal with the no mans land, for which the wait for the shuttle bus to take you across the bridge can be very long.

Note, now there are two separate terminals, one for Palestinians, and the other one for Foreign Tourists and East Jerusalem residents.

There is really nothing interesting to see in Amman. However, if you are going to Petra, make sure you travel down the Kings Highway (route 35) which is breathtaking and very scenic. The Desert Highway is very boring.

See:
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Amman
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Petra

https://www.probearoundtheglobe.com/kings-highway-jordan/#Scenic_Highway_from_Amman_to_Petra
https://againstthecompass.com/en/crossing-jordan-israel-border/
https://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/how-to-border-crossing-jerusalem-amman-king-hussein-allenby-bridge/
https://themadtraveler.com/travel-tips/how-to-cross-from-israel-to-jordan-or-jordan-to-israel/

https://www.google.com/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/petra/

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 28, 2022, 11:50:45 AM »
.that's why better to use the other border crossings, where there will be no queue, plus you do not have to deal with the no mans land, for which the wait for the shuttle bus to take you across the bridge can be very long.

Which border crossing is recommended? How long is the whole process?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 28, 2022, 04:20:32 PM »
Which border crossing is recommended? How long is the whole process?

There are 3 border crossings, just the Allenby/King Hussein is closest to Jerusalem and Amman, and transportation to there is simple, as there are direct shared vans that go from Golden Walls Hotel, which is next to Damascus Gate/Shar Schem/Bab El Amud in Arabic.

King Hussein has about 4,000 people crossing in each direction each day. And then you need to wait for a shuttle bus to take you between the terminals of Israel and Jordan. (It's no man's land in between, you are not allowed to walk it)

The other two border crossings are usually very fast, as passenger volume is very low, especially by Yitzhak Rabin Border Terminal 10 minute drive from Eilat, and then you cross over to the Jordanian side by foot.  The other border crossing is Sheikh Hussein Bridge/Jordan Valley which is 10 km east of Beit She'an.

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 28, 2022, 04:28:58 PM »
There are 3 border crossings, just the Allenby/King Hussein is closest to Jerusalem and Amman, and transportation to there is simple, as there are direct shared vans that go from Golden Walls Hotel, which is next to Damascus Gate/Shar Schem/Bab El Amud in Arabic.

King Hussein has about 4,000 people crossing in each direction each day. And then you need to wait for a shuttle bus to take you between the terminals of Israel and Jordan. (It's no man's land in between, you are not allowed to walk it)

The other two border crossings are usually very fast, as passenger volume is very low, especially by Yitzhak Rabin Border Terminal 10 minute drive from Eilat, and then you cross over to the Jordanian side by foot.  The other border crossing is Sheikh Hussein Bridge/Jordan Valley which is 10 km east of Beit She'an.

Those are much further. After accounting for the travel time are they still faster then the King Hussien crossing?
Also are the VIP services worth anything?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 28, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
Those are much further. After accounting for the travel time are they still faster then the King Hussien crossing?
Also are the VIP services worth anything?

The VIP services is $110 per person. No need to book in advanced. I never used it, but from what I heard, it does not speed
up the process, but you get to sit in a more comfortable lounge, and you get a private VIP shuttle on the bridge.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2022, 06:07:16 PM »
I did the VIP, didn't wait at any line, and felt it was very worthwhile. Don't remember if I needed the VIP to cut the lines
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Gimpel

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC Alaska MVP Aeroplan 25k
« Reply #453 on: October 01, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »
The border by beit Shaan does anyone know if the visa fee is payable be credit card and if not what currency is accepted also is there anywhere I can change money for jordanian dinar in Jerusalem?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2022, 02:50:03 AM »
The border by beit Shaan does anyone know if the visa fee is payable be credit card and if not what currency is accepted also is there anywhere I can change money for jordanian dinar in Jerusalem?
Probably around Shaar Yaffo
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline MOISHELE02

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 02, 2022, 03:09:53 AM »
I have a long stop in amm and I'm thinking of going to Aaron hakohans kaiver does anyone have any experience what I would need and if I need to be afraid of anything, and if anybody has any taxi-tour guide info would be really appreciated. thanks in advance

Offline kosherjid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
I have a long stop in amm and I'm thinking of going to Aaron hakohans kaiver does anyone have any experience what I would need and if I need to be afraid of anything, and if anybody has any taxi-tour guide info would be really appreciated. thanks in advance
...you're spending money for a taxi-guide to take you to a Kever of a Sheikh...you really believe Aaron Hakoihen lies there ?!?

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2022, 02:08:31 PM »
...you're spending money for a taxi-guide to take you to a Kever of a Sheikh...you really believe Aaron Hakoihen lies there ?!?

Well to get to this place, one has to get to Petra, and go into the park, and starts from Qasr al-Bint temple - and from there, there is a unmarked path that leads to the place Aharon Hakohein is believed to be buried. It's called Jabal Haroun / Jabal Harun in Arabic.  The hike up takes about 3-4 hours depending on your fitness level.   https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/petra-jabal-haroun-trail-45630546 You can hire/negotiate with a bedouin to take you up on a donkey, and they usually have keys to the mosque /white dome structure on top.  Start the hike early enough, so that you arrive back before it gets dark. The views there make this hike definitely worth it, but if Aharon haKohein is actually buried is a big question, you are relying on Mohammedan tradition.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Aaron_(Jordan) / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadesh_(biblical)
Google maps: Tomb of High Priest Aaron, 8C84+VM7, Wadi Musa, Jordan
http://www.johnberger.com/kever_aharon_aaron.htm

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 03, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
Well to get to this place, one has to get to Petra, and go into the park, and starts from Qasr al-Bint temple - and from there, there is a unmarked path that leads to the place Aharon Hakohein is believed to be buried. It's called Jabal Haroun / Jabal Harun in Arabic.  The hike up takes about 3-4 hours depending on your fitness level.   https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/petra-jabal-haroun-trail-45630546 You can hire/negotiate with a bedouin to take you up on a donkey, and they usually have keys to the mosque /white dome structure on top.  Start the hike early enough, so that you arrive back before it gets dark. The views there make this hike definitely worth it, but if Aharon haKohein is actually buried is a big question, you are relying on Mohammedan tradition.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Aaron_(Jordan) / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadesh_(biblical)
Google maps: Tomb of High Priest Aaron, 8C84+VM7, Wadi Musa, Jordan
http://www.johnberger.com/kever_aharon_aaron.htm
also make sure to bring tons of water. It's in the middle of a desert and there is one Bedouin lady up on top who will gladly charge you an insane amount for some disgustingly dirty water.

Online gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »
fair point but the same can be said about lots of the kevarim in E"Y too. Many not in the north are believed to be kevarim of biblical figures based on the "mesorah" of the muslim and FWIW there are those that say muslim tradition can be relied upon in this regard