Author Topic: Car Rental Insurance with using Ultimate Rewards for the rental  (Read 4025 times)

Offline jopav613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Hi. I ran a search about this on the Dan Forum but at first glance did not see anyone discuss this. I would like to rent a car for 8 days from MSP. Being that I am not using a c/c to pay for the rental and instead using Chase Ultimate Reward points which I'm getting a great deal (17,500 points for Thrifty that charges $315 for the same thing using cash) how will my c/c cover the rental insurance. I have both a United Explorer and I can pay for the Premium AMEX car rental insurance, but both of them mention that you have to pay for the rental using the card. Help is appreciated as I need to book this soon for a "trip" to the Mayo Clinic.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Car Rental Insurance with using Ultimate Rewards for the rental
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Hi. I ran a search about this on the Dan Forum but at first glance did not see anyone discuss this. I would like to rent a car for 8 days from MSP. Being that I am not using a c/c to pay for the rental and instead using Chase Ultimate Reward points which I'm getting a great deal (17,500 points for Thrifty that charges $315 for the same thing using cash) how will my c/c cover the rental insurance. I have both a United Explorer and I can pay for the Premium AMEX car rental insurance, but both of them mention that you have to pay for the rental using the card. Help is appreciated as I need to book this soon for a "trip" to the Mayo Clinic.

IME you'll need to pay for insurance if you want it.

What days are you going to MSP? What size car do you need?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jopav613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
4/10-4/18, not sure about the return date for certain as I won't know till I get there (probably) how long my treatment will take....

Offline jopav613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
Going with my wife and 3 month old so I guess I would only need Economy/Compact

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
they will ask for credit card when u pick up car. call chase to find out if it will cover.( you are using points that you get with your card so would be strange  that they wouldnt cover). i had similar questions when i used chase to pay for car. being that its prepaid i wanted to know if i will be covered. The guy didnt know i had to call diff deptmnt so i ended up not calling etc..

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:15 PM »
AMEX premium will cover you as long as you pay at least something with the card even the $2 airport tax

Offline jopav613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:53 AM »
@SGF-Did you do something like that with your AMEX and they covered you? I will call back AMEX and confirm what you said about paying a small portion like the airport tax, though my Chase Rewards cover the entire rental including taxes & fees (for better or worse). When i spoke to them yesterday they said that I have to use the c/c for the whole rental charge.

@ Golan- Thanks I will call Chase them and see what they say.

I ran into Protectyourbubble.com a third party car rental insurance provider ($8.00 a day) I might just go with that, rated A+ by BBB and underwritten by an A+ insurance co. Acc to their website they cover the rental as primary insurer with loss of use too, only up to $35,000 though for whole rental. I have a feeling even if my little Toyota Yaris or similar would be totaled ch"v, $35,000 should cover it :). Of course would rather get free primary from United Explorer or Amex, but at least with this its a sure thing (or so it seems) and much cheaper than standard rental CDW at $20-$40/day.

Good Shabbos to all!

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
I remember calling for someone about a BOA CC and they told me if the rental is paid with the points from the CC they will cover.

In your case, I would assume that you would need to put down on file  a Freedom or SP and it would cover.
If this is true, again assuming, a UA card wouldn't work since your not paying with there points.

I could be totally off and everything I said could be completely false. I would definitely call the CC company and go over it with them the T&C. 

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
@SGF-Did you do something like that with your AMEX and they covered you? I will call back AMEX and confirm what you said about paying a small portion like the airport tax, though my Chase Rewards cover the entire rental including taxes & fees (for better or worse). When i spoke to them yesterday they said that I have to use the c/c for the whole rental charge.
no, i called and asked them

Offline jopav613

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
I appreciate everybody's advice. I will end up just paying for it straight with the credit card as CHASE UR's travel agency has better cash rates than anyone else as it is and this way I'm covered when paying with the UA card. Shkoach to all!

Offline daveparm

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
How did you get the Chase UR site to change the credit card used to book? When I try to change it to the United card instead of Sapphire, the credit card number is pre-filled and I am unable to change it.