Topic Wiki

9 reasons your winter fuel economy bites

1. More idling

This should be a no-brainer, yet parked idling cars are a common sight in cold weather. Resist the temptation to idle your car to warm it up. An idling engine gets 0 mpg. Consider also that idling the engine does nothing to warm up the tires and drivetrain.

Even in the coldest weather, you can begin driving after 30 seconds from a cold start - keep speeds low/moderate and use gentle acceleration until the temperature gauge starts to climb (source).

2. Low tire pressure

Of course you're smart enough to keep up your tire pressure as the temperature drops, right? A 10-degree (F) change in ambient temperature equates to a 1 psi change in tire pressure (source). Fuel economy declines 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop (source).

3. Increased rolling resistance

Even if you're completely attentive to proper tire pressure, cold ambient temperatures will still cause your tires to return worse mileage. That's because a tire's shape isn't completely round - the sidewall bulges out at the bottom, and where the tread meets the road the small contact patch is actually flat. As the tire rotates, it constantly deforms to this shape, and this deformation requires more energy when the rubber is cold and hard. Rolling resistance at 0 degrees F is 20% greater than at 80 degrees (source 1, source 2).

4. Crappy road conditions

It's increased rolling resistance of another kind: driving through slush and snow. And then there's its wasteful polar (no pun intended) opposite: no friction at all! (A.K.A. wheelspin on ice.)

5. Lower average engine temperature

In the winter, an engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and cools off faster when shut off. Since the engine management system orders up a richer mixture when cold (proportionately more fuel in the air/fuel combination), more fuel is being burned overall.

A block heater can offset this problem (improving fuel economy by 10% in sub-zero conditions - source), as can garage parking, and combining trips (to minimize the number of cold/hot cycles).

Also related...

6. Higher average lubricant viscosity

Engine oil thickens as it cools. So does transmission and differential fluids and even bearing grease. Significantly more energy is needed to overcome the added drag these cold lubricants cause.

Using synthetic fluids can address this problem, since their viscosity changes less at extreme temperatures than traditional mineral fluids.

7. Weaker gasoline

Gasoline doesn't vaporize readily at very cold temperatures. So oil companies formulate fuel differently for cold-weather markets in the winter. Unfortunately, the changes that provide better cold vaporization characteristics also result in less available energy for combustion. You won't get as far on a liter of winter gas as you will on a liter of summer gas. (Source.)

8. Higher electrical loads

In colder temps, you use electrical accessories more often:

- lights (in higher lattitudes it's darker in the winter)
- rear window defroster (because it's easier than using the ice scraper, right?)
- heater blower motor (I don't have a/c, so this isn't balanced out during warm conditions); heated seats/mirrors
- windshield washer pump (because it's easier than using the ice scraper, right? And for frequently cleaning off dirty road spray.)

9. More aerodynamic drag

No, I'm not referring to the layer of snow you're too lazy to brush off the top of the car (though that would hurt mpg too).

A vehicle’s aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density, and the density increases as temperature drops. For every 10 degree F drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2% (source).
« Last edited by jj1000 on March 08, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »

Author Topic: Gas Mileage  (Read 2410 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Gas Mileage
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Am I imagining things, or is my gas mileage worse when it's very cold?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Mileage
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
Am I imagining things, or is my gas mileage worse when it's very cold?
Nope. It's real.

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
I get 10% less.  :(

Offline az

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:08:28 AM »
they say to fill up on gas in the morning because that's when the gas is the coolest,
when gas is cold its more condensed (you get more since gas is measured in volume),

so it would makes sense that in the winter you use more because your gas is cold ;)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:32:11 AM »
they say to fill up on gas in the morning because that's when the gas is the coolest,
when gas is cold its more condensed (you get more since gas is measured in volume),

so it would makes sense that in the winter you use more because your gas is cold ;)
by that logic if smee123 gets 10% less then when he fills up he should get 10% more.

*disclaimer i didn't read and links just this thread and am assuming you use more in the winter because it is condensed? Not sure that makes sense...

Eta- this explains it and I still don't understand what az posted because you'd also get more at the pump according tohis logic.

Here's a nice explanation http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:35:52 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline az

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »
by that logic if smee123 gets 10% less then when he fills up he should get 10% more.

*disclaimer i didn't read and links just this thread and am assuming you use more in the winter because it is condensed? Not sure that makes sense...

Eta- this explains it and I still don't understand what az posted because you'd also get more at the pump according tohis logic.

Here's a nice explanation http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
sorry,i didnt mean to confuse you,
 i should have said one of the reasons, and it was just speculation, witch he dos allude to in #7 ;)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:20 AM »
witch he dos allude to in #7 ;)
He alludes to the same end result, but not the same logic at all.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:31 AM »
Informative thread, never knew about this.
Visibly Jewish

Offline elig770

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:23 AM »
I didn't read the links but as from my understanding you get better gas mileage when the gas is hot...

Offline az

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:06 AM »
He alludes to the same end result, but not the same logic at all.

very good ::), are we arguing? ???

Offline az

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 05:14:46 AM »
I didn't read the links but as from my understanding you get better gas mileage when the gas is hot...

so when you use it "hot" you use less per volume= more :)

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
I would say 5 is my biggest reason. especially in an older car. but 6 & 7 too..

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
I've noticed when getting gas at Costco a small sign saying the gas is dispensed by volume and does not adjust for weather.  Always wondered if this meant I should get when its cold when its hot.  Seems based on thread to get when its cold?

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
yes

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »