Author Topic: A Jewish Star 2013  (Read 3758 times)

Offline chaimmayer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
A Jewish Star 2013
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Anyone watch episode 1?

I was disappointed that there was so little footage of them actually singing the songs.  I prefered the last few years format.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: A Jewish Star 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:31:48 AM »
i thought the judges were terrible

and there was one guy there that had a great voice but they cut him out for going off tune

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:50 AM »
Do they turn not frum people away?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »
Oy. Really hard to watch....

Offline judahk88

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Oy. Really hard to watch....
+1
Am I missing something? I just don't get it...

The whole thing is just messed up.
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »
After 2 or 3 years at it already, I really expected something more. Actual event looks ok, but video makes the whole thing look very unprofessional.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 12:26:11 PM »
After 2 or 3 years at it already, I really expected something more. Actual event looks ok, but video makes the whole thing look very unprofessional.
Like how the judge showed up hours late?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
I had the impression that the last two years were done very well.  I didn't always agree with all of the choices for the winner but it seemed professional.
But for this year they have a problem because they want people to watch the video and people aren't going to watch 3 hours but what is enjoyable about watching a 5 second clip?!  Especially like in the case of the guy singing Tanya who sounded great but they claimed he changed keys but didn't show that part!

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
Especially like in the case of the guy singing Tanya who sounded great but they claimed he changed keys but didn't show that part!

+1, same thought here.

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Do they turn not frum people away?
Not according to this:
“The turnout was unbelievable,” said producer Danny Finkelman. “We had Syrians, Russians, religious Jews, non-religious Jews. We had people from New York, New Jersey, Montreal, Florida and Chicago. They sang Israeli songs, American, Jewish, old school, new school, hip hop, jazz, cantorial. While some contestants played piano and guitar, others beat-boxed.”

Offline htg123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
imho...it was really lame. also in the jewish community where theres such a small pool of candidates to choose from, there's so little chance for any innovation... i dont wanna go on a jewish star cursing rant, but most ppl i speak to share all the same issues and reservations with this establishment and im sure many of the ddf guys are well aware of the issues

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
+1, same thought here.

If they said he went off key, then in all likelyhood he indeed went off key. Knowing a thing or two about music, that scene may have been quite embarassing, depending on just how much off key he went. 9 out of 10 chance they cut that clip out so as not to badly embarass him.

At the same time, cutting out the clip backfired, because now everyone is demanding to know why the judges gave him the boot.

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »
imho...it was really lame. also in the jewish community where theres such a small pool of candidates to choose from, there's so little chance for any innovation... i dont wanna go on a jewish star cursing rant, but most ppl i speak to share all the same issues and reservations with this establishment and im sure many of the ddf guys are well aware of the issues

There is no shortage of talent, even in the Orthodox community. The limitations, in my opinion, come from a serious lack of understanding music.

Most "frum" Jews think that good music means that a singer has a good voice and can sing on key. A singer like Avraham Fried would be a total sham in non-observant circles. He's got the voice, but he has no passion in his music. When he tries to fake the passion, it sounds like someone poking a chicken with a needle. (Most frum people would not even begin to understand the greatness of an artist like Bob Dylan, and they would hate listening to him).

Traditional and less observant Jews seem to have better taste in music, and they enjoy listening to real artists such as Shlomo Carlebach and Moshe Yess.

I think that some serious educating needs to be incorporated, at least in terms of understanding what great music is.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 01:00:08 AM »
(Most frum people would not even begin to understand the greatness of an artist like Bob Dylan, and they would hate listening to him).
IMHO that has more to do with the lyrics of the songs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:05:28 AM by CountValentine »
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:31 AM »
There is no shortage of talent, even in the Orthodox community. The limitations, in my opinion, come from a serious lack of understanding music.

Most "frum" Jews think that good music means that a singer has a good voice and can sing on key. A singer like Avraham Fried would be a total sham in non-observant circles. He's got the voice, but he has no passion in his music. When he tries to fake the passion, it sounds like someone poking a chicken with a needle. (Most frum people would not even begin to understand the greatness of an artist like Bob Dylan, and they would hate listening to him).

Traditional and less observant Jews seem to have better taste in music, and they enjoy listening to real artists such as Shlomo Carlebach and Moshe Yess.

I think that some serious educating needs to be incorporated, at least in terms of understanding what great music is.
I cannot agree more. speaking of moshe yess did u listen to the tribute album for him? I just bought it today

Offline chaimmayer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Does anyone know what happened? Did they stop in the middle because of everyone being upset that they were being מבייש people?
Did they have the live concert with a winner crowned and it was never made into a video or even that didn't happen?