Topic Wiki

There are no issues with:

• Having Jewish items
  • Looking Jewish
  • Bringing in food or alcohol
  • Having Israeli stamps in your passport.

List of TR's:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/trip-notes/maldives-trip-notes-part-2-dubai-and-abu-dhabi/
Sam28 TR
UAE- Abu Dhabi and Dubai TR with lots of links for attractions and food etc (maybe s/o would copy+paste from there to here)

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:
for up to date and more info see https://chabad.ae/kosher/

TLV Restaurant - Location in the H hotel  - For reservations: Call: +97142435711  / WhatsApp: +971522209155
The Kosher Place - Location Jumeriah Creekside Hotel - For reservations, please WhatsApp +972559453118
Mul hayam
Armani Kaf - Location Armani Hotel - Reservation online or email Restaurant.Reservations@armanihotels.com (sometimes it wont show available online but over email they'll confirm)
King David Kitchen kingdavidkitchen.com
Kosher coffee Bibi

Synagogue:
PM Dan for contact info.

Things to Do:

Sites to find deals:
  Groupon.ae
  Greatdeals.ae
  getyourguide.com
  klook.com
  tiqets.com

- Miracle Garden (need 1-2 hours) - https://www.dubaimiraclegarden.com/
 - Global Village  (Need 3-4 hours - opens at 4pm ) - https://www.globalvillage.ae/en/home-page
 - Xline - zip thru the marina (need max 1 hour from checkin till land back) - Book online in advance to secure a spot - http://xline.xdubai.com/
 - Desert Adventure - (need 6 hours - from 3pm -9pm) - Includes Quad Biking, Dune Bashing, Camel rides, BBQ dinner in a camp site while watching Cultural shows  - https://www.desertadventures.com/  - There is a Kosher catered tour that is highly recommended , every tuesday , Whatsapp +972 58-551-1911 for reservations , full Kosher BBQ and "kosher" cultural shows
- 3 Main Malls - Mall in Marina (Basic) , Mall of Emirates (huge mall - Has indoor ski) , Mall of Dubai (downtown -even bigger mall has aquarium inside and is a very high end shopping mall)
 - Gold / Perfume / Spice Souk - Marketplace in Deira area (need half a day minimum for this)
 - Burj Khalifa - View points from above - Buy tickets online in advance for best price - https://www.burjkhalifa.ae/en/index.aspx  - best to go in evening time before sunset  - Theres also a VIP option to skip the lines
 - Dubai Sky Dive
 - Helicopter ride - recommended is the 22 min flight option
 - Hot Air balloon - https://www.ballooning.ae/ - check the deal sites sometimes have a buy 2 get 1  - Early AM in the desert
 - Dubai Creek Boat ride ( need 2.5hrs - Board 8pm - duration 830pm to 1030pm)
- Dubai Gold frame 
- night boat ride along the intercostal
 - Fountain Show on the boardwalk downtown - from 6pm every 30 min (buy a ticket online/walkup to be closer to water but you can still see it without that or if you are eating at Armani Kaf, you can see from the terrace
- Yacht + jet ski rentals
- Dubai Aquarium / underwater zoo
- Yellow Boat (inflatable motor boat) Sightseeing Cruise
- The view at the palm - theviewpalm.ae
- Legoland
- Inside burj al arab insideburjalarab.com

Hotels:

Getting Around:

Notes:

« Last edited by hakohen on August 20, 2023, 04:53:22 AM »

Author Topic: Dubai Master Thread  (Read 286473 times)

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Re: Dubai Master Thread
« Reply #880 on: November 27, 2019, 11:28:36 AM »
Has anyone been there for shabbos and can share their experience?

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2019, 09:46:02 PM »
Just got stopped and detained for 3 hours by Dubai police last night for wearing Yarmulka at the Dubai mall.

Several officers including a high ranking CDI (like fbi for Uae) told me that I was welcome there but that I (or anyone else for that matter) could not wear a Yarmulka at any public space in the UAE because of security reasons.

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #882 on: December 21, 2019, 10:54:12 PM »
Just got stopped and detained for 3 hours by Dubai police last night for wearing Yarmulka at the Dubai mall.

Several officers including a high ranking CDI (like fbi for Uae) told me that I was welcome there but that I (or anyone else for that matter) could not wear a Yarmulka at any public space in the UAE because of security reasons.

Wow... that’s pretty crazy.  Sounds like it was for your own protection though...

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2019, 11:16:56 PM »

What took them 3 hours?

And why would you walk around with a yarmulke? Not that's it's a problem but why look for trouble.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #884 on: December 21, 2019, 11:31:43 PM »
And why would you walk around with a yarmulke? Not that's it's a problem but why look for trouble.
+1. Everyone says to wear a cap.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: December 21, 2019, 11:50:01 PM »

Security reasons? What sort of security risk is there in wearing a yarmulka? Crime rates are extremely low there.

also here is an excerpt from Ami article a few weeks ago 

"We met at a Starbucks and spoke for about an hour, but our conversation must remain off the record for the most part. One thing we discussed was the way I was dressed. I asked why he insisted that I wear a hat. He replied, “Dubai is a city of 200 different nationalities. Almost all of them are nice and friendly people, but all you need is one crazy person to do something and you can be in big trouble. You come here for a few days and are excited by the fact that you’re walking around dressed like a Jew, but I live here all year and I need to be cautious.” He also challenged me: “It’s one thing to go to the Dubai mall, with its security staff and cameras, but try walking around Old Dubai, where you may not get such positive reactions.” “Challenge Accepted.”
After meeting with Mr. Al-Habtoor the next day, I visited a bunch of local landmarks and tourist attractions before ending off my day in Old Dubai. I walked through the busy streets near the piers and then through the alleyways of the souk. I did see many people staring at me, but as soon as I smiled at them, they usually waved or smiled back. Many people approached and welcomed me to their country, with some asking to take selfies with me.
I believe that this is part of the larger change that is taking place in the Gulf countries, where the perception of Jews and Israel is changing for the better."

full story here

https://www.amimagazine.org/2019/11/26/direct-from-dubai/
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:53:50 PM by dealfinder11 »

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 22, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
So in theory I don’t really have a problem wearing a cap, I wear caps for comfort reasons in America or Europe as well. However I’ve been to 72 countries and never was I told by a government official how to dress and how not to dress. If someone wants to wear a cap because he feels threatened (yes I know some people here think that they need to wear a cap anywhere that’s outside their neighborhood... but with Pittsbourgh and jersey city perhaps they’ll start wearing caps in Flatbush and Cleveland as well...) no problem but I think that this is something that should be decided individually and I personally do not think that there’s any issue wearing a Yarmulke in the UAE and so I was told by many time who did the same. I also wore it in Ras Al Khaima and other Emirates which are much more conservative and with a much larger local population then Dubai.

However, if I would’ve known that there’s a law prohibiting it, I would obviously respect the laws of the country wherever it is or I just won’t go to that country.

It was a long story but at the end the high ranking officer told me something in the lines that is quoted in the ami article above, however he did say that it was a requirement not to wear it and not just a suggestion (I made sure to clarify that).

I did have conversations with all the officers and got friendly with them. I was just very surprised that there is such a rule as this is not the image that the UAE seem to be portraying (especially with the year of tolerance), never mind the fact that they’re allowing in Israelis for the 2020 expo, I wonder if they will make it official while applying for a visa (or whichever procedure Israelis will have to do) or will just abandon this rule which in my opinion is wrong.

I also spoke with several members of the Jewish community in Dubai and they were very surprised to hear this - they’ll inquire about it with their contact in the secret police. What they told me was the same as I wrote above, that for their knowledge there’s no issue to wear anything in Dubai but that most local Jews prefer not to.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #887 on: December 22, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »
So in theory I don’t really have a problem wearing a cap, I wear caps for comfort reasons in America or Europe as well. However I’ve been to 72 countries and never was I told by a government official how to dress and how not to dress. If someone wants to wear a cap because he feels threatened (yes I know some people here think that they need to wear a cap anywhere that’s outside their neighborhood... but with Pittsbourgh and jersey city perhaps they’ll start wearing caps in Flatbush and Cleveland as well...) no problem but I think that this is something that should be decided individually and I personally do not think that there’s any issue wearing a Yarmulke in the UAE and so I was told by many time who did the same. I also wore it in Ras Al Khaima and other Emirates which are much more conservative and with a much larger local population then Dubai.

However, if I would’ve known that there’s a law prohibiting it, I would obviously respect the laws of the country wherever it is or I just won’t go to that country.

It was a long story but at the end the high ranking officer told me something in the lines that is quoted in the ami article above, however he did say that it was a requirement not to wear it and not just a suggestion (I made sure to clarify that).

I did have conversations with all the officers and got friendly with them. I was just very surprised that there is such a rule as this is not the image that the UAE seem to be portraying (especially with the year of tolerance), never mind the fact that they’re allowing in Israelis for the 2020 expo, I wonder if they will make it official while applying for a visa (or whichever procedure Israelis will have to do) or will just abandon this rule which in my opinion is wrong.

I also spoke with several members of the Jewish community in Dubai and they were very surprised to hear this - they’ll inquire about it with their contact in the secret police. What they told me was the same as I wrote above, that for their knowledge there’s no issue to wear anything in Dubai but that most local Jews prefer not to.
When I asked the shliach a couple years ago he said absolutely no to walking with your yarmulka.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 22, 2019, 05:57:44 PM »

Who cares if you could or you are able to, use common sense.

I've been to many ME countries where muslims are the majority., I can have a conversation with some guy and possibly let them know I'm Jewish but to stick it in their face?
Many dont even know what a yarmulke is but all you need is one guy and then the country becomes UNSAFE.

Basics for security is, blend with the crowd.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline tmendy226

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 22, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
When I asked the shliach a couple years ago he said absolutely no to walking with your yarmulka.

I stayed with the community and there’s actually a guy there that dresses like a breslever... and as I said earlier, the Jewish community told me that they mostly don’t wear it openly in public places but that to the best of their knowledge it was ok for me to do so if I wish.

Duchman said absolutely no because he feels that it’s unsafe or because of the government?

(Btw when I met with the secret police officer, his first question was “are you chabad?” :D )
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:21:36 PM by tmendy226 »

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 22, 2019, 10:53:32 PM »
I stayed with the community and there’s actually a guy there that dresses like a breslever... and as I said earlier, the Jewish community told me that they mostly don’t wear it openly in public places but that to the best of their knowledge it was ok for me to do so if I wish.

Duchman said absolutely no because he feels that it’s unsafe or because of the government?

(Btw when I met with the secret police officer, his first question was “are you chabad?” :D )

Something related but off topic, I recently met with a relative of the Shalich of Tunis who lived in Tunis during the 60's, 70's and 80's the shluchim to Tunis and Morocco have always walked in the streets with Hat and Kapoteh's  even in Tunis where the PLO had many rallies in-front of the shul during the 1980's in Tunis the Shalich walked with his head high, with Kapoteh and Hat without any fear.

#OldSchoolShluchim

Offline MilesHoarder

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 06, 2020, 01:34:35 AM »
Hi -

Ive read most of your trip reports and skimmed through the last 30 pages. Any reason other then price that none of you seemed to have stay at the Burj Al Arab and have just gone there for tea ? If I can stay there is there any reason not to?

Offline moisheyb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 06, 2020, 01:46:14 AM »
Hi -

Ive read most of your trip reports and skimmed through the last 30 pages. Any reason other then price that none of you seemed to have stay at the Burj Al Arab and have just gone there for tea ? If I can stay there is there any reason not to?
It's definitely worth staying there

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 06, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
Hi -

I wont to stay there but the price was to high I went for tea and if u can pay u should stay there .

Offline SurifromNJ

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 09, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »
Can someone please pm me with info on a minyan or kosher food my brother is in Dubai till tomorrow evening thanks.

I am in Dubai now and would appreciate the number for the shul. If someone can please PM me tonight that would be great

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 12, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »

Offline chaimh770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 15, 2020, 08:22:18 AM »
Seems there's kosher chicken in Dubai looks like a chabad operation, I don't know much details if this is long term or how to obtain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7UTj9plxK3/?igshid=17kw2begotqqe

Offline ukinny

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 29, 2020, 02:19:52 PM »
My SO and I will be staying at Al Maha next month. Our return flight (EK203) leaves at 0230h, or thereabouts, so our plan is to check out from Al Maha around noon, go to DXB, check-in our luggage and thern head into town. Given that we will have probably nine / ten hours or so to spare (I want my SO to enjoy the F lounge at DXB prior to departure), what would the recommendations be? Stick to Dubai Mall / Burj Khalifa area? or go somewhere else first / too / last?

Online Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 30, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
I would head from Al Maha to the mall and spend there as much time as you want. If you have time, you can then go see (or do) the skiing in the other mall, and/or go see Burj Al Arab (see earlier posts about getting in), then go see Burj Khalifa at night, for sure the fountain show, and if you like and have time, also from up on top. The only other place worth checking out is the Gold Souk, but parking there is really challenging, and you won't have time for everything, so you'll have to prioritize.

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 30, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
The only other place worth checking out is the Gold Souk
I would make this a priority. All the places I visited in Dubai (Mall, Man-made islands, Burj Khalifa) was more about the knowledge that I was seeing something amazing, than actually feeling it. The Gold Souk I found to be a mind-boggling experience, unlike any other place in Dubai.