Chase
Dropbox
Evolve Money
Feedly -- great rss reader
Greader- alternate rss reader
Glide
Google Drive
Google Keep
Google Maps (incorporating Waze functions)
Google Photos
Mint Bills (Check (Pageonce))
Parcels
Power Toggles
Pushbullet
Tapatalk
Timely -- great alarm app
TripIt
Vonage - free WiFi calling using your normal number
Waze
Whatsapp
Pdanet

Jewish Apps
AndDaaven
Betamidrash (crazy amount of sefarim wt trans.)
Brochos
CRC Kosher Guide
Find a Minyan
Jewish Music - 1. JewishMusic Stream 2. Jstream 3. Jewishmusic.fm
OK Vegetable Checking Guide
Mezuzah Guide
Shabbos Alarm
Smart Siddur by Karri Apps free version has ads :(
ZmanMinder widget
Hebrewbooks.org
Chavruta (Talmud with Hebrew translation and footnotes)
HebDate (Great Jewish calendar with deep Google Calendar integration)
Orayta
Zmanim
(search in hebrew) שולחן ערוך אור החיים עם משנה ברורה searchable, clickable, split screen with שער הציון
(search in hebrew) הלוח העברי great calendar for searching hebrew dates in the past and future, including yom tov

Keyboards
Swype (for one handed typing)
Swiftkey (for key by key inputting & "swyping" )

Games
Lollipop "flappy bird" (Easter Egg)

Author Topic: Favorite Android Apps  (Read 456432 times)

Offline mmm740

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Android Apps
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
Just downloaded siddur from there and there's no menu?
Do they really expect you to keep clicking next though every shacharis section until I get to maariv?

As far as the calendar, I haven't looked at that yet, but I just want what my old Palm luach could do.  Namely show me an english monthly calendar with the hebrew date at the bottom and yom tovs highlighted  that can calculate zmanim accurately (plenty of apps claim to calculate but are NOT accurate) for any coordinates entered.  How is it that nobody can recreate on Android what existed on Palm over 10 years ago??

The apps are still in alpha, they are more useful for the daily shiurim apps like chitas, rambam, hayom yom and luach colel chabad.
I used hebcal through gmail sync with my windows mobile phone and now with my android. It works very well.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:39 PM »
Root and install ICS?
...OK...I think I'm ready to do this today. @BAHayman: Is the link here the one you yourself used?

ps. Just for the record: Uninstalling almost every app didn't prove to be very effective. Phone was still limping badly.
Today I factory reseted it and it's indeed as fast as new but IMO that that will only attack the symptom, not the source of the problem, hence I will root and install ICS or some other good custom ROM.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
is there a good app for keeping track of money that different people owe you

Offline Wolf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
As far as the calendar, I haven't looked at that yet, but I just want what my old Palm luach could do.  Namely show me an english monthly calendar with the hebrew date at the bottom and yom tovs highlighted  that can calculate zmanim accurately (plenty of apps claim to calculate but are NOT accurate) for any coordinates entered.  How is it that nobody can recreate on Android what existed on Palm over 10 years ago??
I have this heb cal, a little slow compered to the old palm cal but quite usefull

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.iend.hebrewcalendar

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Just downloaded siddur from there and there's no menu?
Do they really expect you to keep clicking next though every shacharis section until I get to maariv?
Best siddur for android IMO is this https://market.android.com/details?id=com.oktmwebsites.hebsiddursef it costs money but if you use it allot its well worth its price.

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »
I use this free ashkenaz siddur (or you can get it in Sefard)    It's free, and divides up shacharis into sections etc...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »
I have this heb cal, a little slow compered to the old palm cal but quite usefull

The screenshots look like a joke compared to the Palm Luach.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:06 PM »
The screenshots look like a joke compared to the Palm Luach.
They didnt include all photos, check it out u might like it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
They didnt include all photos, check it out u might like it.
Does it have a month view calendar and calculate zmanim based on coordinates entered?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
Does it have a month view calendar and calculate zmanim based on coordinates entered?
Sure see attached,

And btw for those who wonder, I took the photos with Samsungs built in feature, comes with my galaxy no app or root required.
Holding the “Home” button and pressing the “lock” button at the same time you will manage to use the secret “Screen capture” function of the phone which will take a print screen of the phone exactly how it is.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
Re: Re: Favorite Android Apps
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
Sure see attached,

And btw for those who wonder, I took the photos with Samsungs built in feature, comes with my galaxy no app or root required.
Holding the “Home” button and pressing the “lock” button at the same time you will manage to use the secret “Screen capture” function of the phone which will take a print screen of the phone exactly how it is.
That's a great feature! Is it a Samsung feature or ICS feature?

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Re: Favorite Android Apps
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
I dont have ICS, its standard on the Salaxy S II and and the Samsung Droid Charge.
I think the LG Optimus and G2X also have it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:39:39 PM by Wolf »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »
ICS screenshot is holding down the Volume Down button and Power button for about a second.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
My apps that I've downloaded.  The only one I paid for is
SVTP ($9.99)
-Memo Pad to bring back that good old Palm functionality.
-Flashlight widget is neat
-Super Compaas
-Chrome beta is just awesome
-Google translate is amazing
-Kosher GPS
-SFCave out of Palm nostalgia
-Navigation/Google maps really is life-changing.  Being able to walk around DC and just type in different monuments or just starbucks and getting walking directions was huge.
-SWYPE is very cool, though at times I think of going back to the very good ICS keyboard.
I got someone to download SVTP onto my galaxy nexus but unfortunately android is much smarter than apple, and when the app tried to update it denied me access to the app because I was no longer signed into the purchasing account.
Memo pad really is the best app I found to write down notes I use it all the time.
Flashlight is so powerful I love it.
With Super Compass everyone is always asking me what direction mizrach is while on the road.
Chrome beta is just to cool! there is no need for chrome to phone anymore because it opens all the tabs you have on your computer automatically. It is amazing and has even more amazing potential.
I use iTranslate not sure how it compares to google translate but i think its better for herbrew.
Kosher GPS is very cool thanks for the tip!
SFcave is just not the same with a proper processor it never glitches! seriously though I don't know what it is but I liked it more on my palm.
Google Maps has been the best app on my phone by far. Whoever has it and has not payed with all the layers and settings you are missing out on what is probably the sweetest GPS in the world!
Swype makes typing so much easier everyone gets better with time. But there are a few things that are better about the ICS keyboard like the individual keys being easier to press especially for symbols.

is there a good app for keeping track of money that different people owe you
Lemon is a very good money app. You can just write the person as a name of a store and the amount he owes.
Must be Samsung because on my Galaxy Nexus the screenshot is done by holding down the power button and lower the volume button.
Best siddur for android IMO is this https://market.android.com/details?id=com.oktmwebsites.hebsiddursef it costs money but if you use it allot its well worth its price.
Has anyone here ever used the rustbrick siddur from the apple app store? It is far superior to any other app even from palm. We should write to them or call them and ask to make a siddur for android. here is there website http://www.rustybrick.com/software.php

*UPDATE just spoke with rustybrick They said only Android 4.0.4 (newest ICS) supports hebrew properly and it will cost the $100,000 to create the app. So they will do it eventually but no ETA as of yet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:05:38 PM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

Mediocre at best.
Very slow (na lahamtin, na lahamtin) every stupid Israeli holiday is highlighted on there (dont forget yom hamspacha is this week ::) )
And I don't see anyplace to enter in coordinates for zmanim besides for the few built in cities.

Anyone know of any good app builders?

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:23 PM »
Has anyone here ever used the rustbrick siddur from the apple app store? It is far superior to any other app even from palm. We should write to them or call them and ask to make a siddur for android. here is there website http://www.rustybrick.com/software.php
+100 Saw this on my Brother in laws iphone, wish they would have it on android.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Anyone know of any good app builders?
paging BaHayman :)

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
paging BaHayman :)
I think we should start the "Where is BAHayman" thread...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »
I think we should start the "Where is BAHayman" thread...
I think we should start an affiliates program where the ddf community donates miles and they are distributed to top contributors for doing projects that enhance ddf. BaHayman would be at the top of my list. AsherO, SF and others too...

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
some ppl wrote that you use chrome beta, so I assume u have ICS, do u have a stable built? is there one at all?,
any major differences between android 2 and ICS?
Any negatives like WiFi or gps not working in ICS?