Chase
Dropbox
Evolve Money
Feedly -- great rss reader
Greader- alternate rss reader
Glide
Google Drive
Google Keep
Google Maps (incorporating Waze functions)
Google Photos
Mint Bills (Check (Pageonce))
Parcels
Power Toggles
Pushbullet
Tapatalk
Timely -- great alarm app
TripIt
Vonage - free WiFi calling using your normal number
Waze
Whatsapp
Pdanet

Jewish Apps
AndDaaven
Betamidrash (crazy amount of sefarim wt trans.)
Brochos
CRC Kosher Guide
Find a Minyan
Jewish Music - 1. JewishMusic Stream 2. Jstream 3. Jewishmusic.fm
OK Vegetable Checking Guide
Mezuzah Guide
Shabbos Alarm
Smart Siddur by Karri Apps free version has ads :(
ZmanMinder widget
Hebrewbooks.org
Chavruta (Talmud with Hebrew translation and footnotes)
HebDate (Great Jewish calendar with deep Google Calendar integration)
Orayta
Zmanim
(search in hebrew) שולחן ערוך אור החיים עם משנה ברורה searchable, clickable, split screen with שער הציון
(search in hebrew) הלוח העברי great calendar for searching hebrew dates in the past and future, including yom tov

Keyboards
Swype (for one handed typing)
Swiftkey (for key by key inputting & "swyping" )

Games
Lollipop "flappy bird" (Easter Egg)

Author Topic: Favorite Android Apps  (Read 470664 times)

Offline Moishel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Android Apps
« Reply #980 on: October 10, 2013, 03:16:07 PM »
Yes, pls tell, I've never been able to get used to it.
No one-handed typing... Biggest issue..
I didn't realize, are you guys not swiping?

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:44 AM »
I'm looking for an app or a method of SMSing a big group (my shul) from time to time, but not have that group show up in my contacts. Is that possible? I'm on nexus 4 and can't figure it out.

I tried making a group in my Google account that shouldn't be displayed in the contacts, but no matter what, the contacts always show up. I appreciate any tips. Thanks
Visibly Jewish

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #982 on: October 11, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
I'm looking for an app or a method of SMSing a big group (my shul) from time to time, but not have that group show up in my contacts. Is that possible? I'm on nexus 4 and can't figure it out.

I tried making a group in my Google account that shouldn't be displayed in the contacts, but no matter what, the contacts always show up. I appreciate any tips. Thanks

My shuls all do an email to txt

Offline kracked dude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 11, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »

1) Twitter
2) Group Me or the like.

I don't have a nexus but on my android it's as simple as Contacts/Display Options/Choose contacts to display and check off which groups you want to display or unchecked those you don't want to display.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 11, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
My shuls all do an email to txt

1) Twitter
2) Group Me or the like.

I don't have a nexus but on my android it's as simple as Contacts/Display Options/Choose contacts to display and check off which groups you want to display or unchecked those you don't want to display.

Thanks for the responses, I'll look into your suggestions. Twitter won't work for me, I don't want to configure and deal with every guy that wants the texts.

My nexus also has "contacts to display" option, but it only give me the option to block or display from Google, and whatsapp, of which Google didn't work.
Visibly Jewish

Offline kracked dude

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 11, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »

Thanks for the responses, I'll look into your suggestions. Twitter won't work for me, I don't want to configure and deal with every guy that wants the texts.

My nexus also has "contacts to display" option, but it only give me the option to block or display from Google, and whatsapp, of which Google didn't work.
IMHO twitter is pretty hassle free you just have to tell people to send a text to follow you. And don't provide any tech support they should be able to figure it out by themselves.

Another option for the contacts is to make another email address just for that and don't link those contacts to your phone.

This is how it looks on my phone

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 11, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
I uninstalled Hangouts and reverted to Talk, I have multiple accounts in Talk and for some weird reason they took out that feature in Hangouts.
+1MM
What's the deal with apps across the board going backwards?  :o
I take this back (at least regarding Hangouts)..
A few months ago I upgraded to Hangouts and took it off due to the above mentioned reason and possibly also not being able to see who's online.
Last night, before I upgraded my htc one to Android 4.3 (which renders it unable to get rid of the Hangouts update), I updated to Hangouts first to test it out.
To my pleasant surprise I'm able to see who's online as well as all the Google accounts that I have on my phone are signed in.
The ONLY complaint (which I hope to figure out in the future) is that once you're chatting with someone, in order to go back to see who's online, you must "archive" the conversation that you're on, you can't just hit  the back or home button. The only way to do it without archiving the conversation is by killing the app and reopening.

In other news: So far the upgrade is great, the phone seems even faster than it was and I got a bunch of new little features with it :)

P.S. @Moishel, when did you last have it? Maybe try downloading it again if you still have the option of taking it off..
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:17:34 PM by txtmax4 »
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
I didn't realize, are you guys not swiping?
What version do you have free or paid?

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
IMHO twitter is pretty hassle free you just have to tell people to send a text to follow you. And don't provide any tech support they should be able to figure it out by themselves.

Another option for the contacts is to make another email address just for that and don't link those contacts to your phone.

+1 on what cracked dude said, you set up a twiiter account with shulname and send a message to the people that they should test to 40404 with a message saying follow shulname.

There are a few other differences, in twitter they can't answer you unless you follow them back, in group me every answer from anyone gets forwarded to everyone on the group.

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
P.S. @Moishel, when did you last have it? Maybe try downloading it again if you still have the option of taking it off..
Thanks! I just updated, there were a few updates since my post, they probably added back the multi-account feature somewhere along the line. Looks neat, and you can send pictures now. It also tells you where your friend is up to, if he read your last message or not. I wonder if it's like the R in BBM, or like the second check in Whatsapp.

One problem I see now is that it shows the name the contact calls himself in G+ instead of the name I gave that contact in my contacts.

Had the free for the trial period, bought the paid yesterday. Still undecided. I'm going to switch around between Swype, GK, and Swiftkey until I pick a favorite. Swype definitely wins in interface and keyboard shortcuts and gestures, but I'm having some issues with accuracy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:36:08 PM by Moishel »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: October 11, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »

I know it's not difficult, but I'd rather not have to tell 50+ people exactly how to send the message and to who to send it, and to start explaining to them the messages they will start getting from twitter (which they may be against in the first place).

Sending a group SMS is hassle free to set up, just make a group and send.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Moishel

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
The ONLY complaint (which I hope to figure out in the future) is that once you're chatting with someone, in order to go back to see who's online, you must "archive" the conversation that you're on, you can't just hit  the back or home button. The only way to do it without archiving the conversation is by killing the app and reopening.
Actually you could see who's online, just instead of swiping to the left, click the plus sign on the top right.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #992 on: October 11, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »
Had the free for the trial period, bought the paid yesterday. Still undecided. I'm going to switch around between Swype, GK, and Swiftkey until I pick a favorite. Swype definitely wins in interface and keyboard shortcuts and gestures, but I'm having some issues with accuracy.
Free had swipe functionality?
My free trial is "expired" maybe that's why, although the "flow" is in options I still can't use it..
Actually you could see who's online, just instead of swiping to the left, click the plus sign on the top right.
Good call!

Offline kracked dude

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »
I have the paid version of SwiftKey for free ala amazon free app of the day.
I find the predictions are pretty good and I like the layout. I use the neon theme. The flow works really well as well. I like how the predictions uses words from current trending events.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:00:26 PM by kracked dude »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #994 on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Not for my needs.  WAP is ultra-fast no-frills browsing.
And besides that's how I've been doing it since 2008 :P

Well your needs could differ from mine, but I, too, used to use WAP and now after having used TAT would never go back.

Just paid this week.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #995 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
I take this back (at least regarding Hangouts)..
A few months ago I upgraded to Hangouts and took it off due to the above mentioned reason and possibly also not being able to see who's online.
Last night, before I upgraded my htc one to Android 4.3 (which renders it unable to get rid of the Hangouts update), I updated to Hangouts first to test it out.
To my pleasant surprise I'm able to see who's online as well as all the Google accounts that I have on my phone are signed in.

In other news: So far the upgrade is great, the phone seems even faster than it was and I got a bunch of new little features with it :)

How do you see who's online?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #996 on: October 11, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
Just paid this week.
And the free one had flow?
How do you see who's online?
When on the main page, you'll see a "page" sticking out of the right side (for lack of better way to explain it), pull (slide) that page towards the left and you'll see who's online.
Also on top of the list, there are 6 Icons representing your most frequent contacts.
I have a bunch of chats open, but I assume if I archive them all the "who's online" page would be the main page upon opening Hangouts.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
Free one had flow, yeah.

I see that page, but that's not a "who's online" page, that's just some of the contacts that are online, some of which are my most frequent.

What the hell happened to the "buddy list" with everyone on it?  ::)

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: October 12, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
@yuneeq
I've used gosms for group texts flawlessly using Google's grouping. Though I'm not sure i understand what you need.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 12, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
@yuneeq
I've used gosms for group texts flawlessly using Google's grouping. Though I'm not sure i understand what you need.

There's a group of people from my shul that that I would like to text occasionally, but not have them clutter up my android contacts list. I thought if I added them to a new Google group, and set that group to not be displayed, that they wouldn't show up on my contracts list, alas, I was wrong.
Visibly Jewish