Author Topic: LSAT Review Course  (Read 46540 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT Review Course
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
its not 40 cleps
they take from any yeshiva afaik
10 classes is 30 credits and 72 yeshiva credits is 102 so you only need 18 credits of cleps

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
its not 40 cleps
they take from any yeshiva afaik
10 classes is 30 credits and 72 yeshiva credits is 102 so you only need 18 credits of cleps
10 1 hour classes? Or 10 courses. 30 credits for 10hrs is funny.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »
10 courses over a 9-12 month period

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
Dan - can we fork the last discussion to a new Yeshiva/college issues thread.
(I can just think of 'Need help finding a yeshiva: post here)

also add the yesod yosef thread...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
Additionally, pretty sure Jews do not constitute a minority for the purposes for which you suggest.
I have absolutely no idea. But I'm sure there is some law school in this country that is not over represented by Jews. I just think that would be a point to consider when selecting schools for application.
 (I hate to say this, but especially in the 150-range... Just compare the same threads on FT vs. DDF*. I am amazed every time I look at the huge difference. FT is cluttered up with useless stupid things and people. Even the better members can't make their point without harping on...  I'm not even so sure this is something to be proud of - Jews have been at the top in every field, including crime.)

*For purpose of this post, I am not a DDF member ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:38:11 PM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
I have absolutely no idea. But I'm sure there is some law school in this country that is not over represented by Jews. I just think that would be a point to consider when selecting schools for application.
 (I hate to say this, but especially in the 150-range... Just compare the same threads on FT vs. DDF*. I am amazed every time I look at the huge difference. FT is cluttered up with useless stupid things and people. Even the better members can't make their point without harping on...  I'm not even so sure this is something to be proud of - Jews have been at the top in every field, including crime.)

*For purpose of this post, I am not a DDF member ;)

We be brilliant. About 30 people transferred with me. Seems about 15 are jewish.

Offline yaakov s

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
We be brilliant. About 30 people transferred with me. Seems about 15 are jewish.
What percentage of 2L is jewish? Or the brilliance is that jews know you could transfer in for 2L and so why bother for 1L

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
What percentage of 2L is jewish? Or the brilliance is that jews know you could transfer in for 2L and so why bother for 1L
1L is what makes or breaks in the job market AFAIK.

PLEASE DIRECT EVERYTHING TO NEW MASTER THREAD http://bit.ly/sgrT76

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Did anyone on DDF actually take a lsat course by Fisch?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
Does anyone want to comment on the ability of the frum guys to get Big Law jobs? I know that at Penn, of the eight frum guys in my year, only three of them got Big Law. The vast majority of the rest of the class has such jobs.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: LSAT Review Course
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
Does anyone want to comment on the ability of the frum guys to get Big Law jobs? I know that at Penn, of the eight frum guys in my year, only three of them got Big Law. The vast majority of the rest of the class has such jobs.
When did you graduate.
has a lot to do with the way they interview. Its one thing to get into law school. An entirely other one to learn how to present yourself
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »
I graduate on Monday, Be'ezras Hashem, but the same statistics hold true for the year above me, and, more or less, for the year below me. Overall, out of roughly 20 frum guys that tried to get NYC biglaw, maybe 8 or 9 got it.

The economy cannot be the answer for this. It may be interviewing, as you said, but as far as grades go, the distribution is fairly typical.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »

Honestly, it's more about the school one attends and ones grades than it is about being frum.

Assuming you have the above down pat (big assumption), you don't come to the interview drunk, and you can carry on at least somewhat of an intelligent conversation, you won't be turned down solely on account of the fact you're wearing a kippa, especially in the bigger markets like NY, NJ, CA.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
Did anyone on DDF actually take a lsat course by Fisch?
I have some classmates at Columbia who studied for the LSAT with him.

I don't think its possible to extract meaningful information about the abilities of frum guys (and women) from such a small pool. Big law jobs are not simply available for the taking even at top law schools. Grades, interpersonal skills, undergraduate experience, and to a significant degree mazel, go into landing a job. "Frum" people are individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds, skills and talents.

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
You're definitely correct. However, from what I see at my school, and from what I hear about other schools, frum guys (not girls) just seem to have a more difficult time landing the big jobs.

I don't think it has to do with the yarmulka, as some guys didn't wear them on interviews. I think it has more to do with interviewing skills and pre-law school experience.

I find that frum guys generally underperform in both areas.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
You're definitely correct. However, from what I see at my school, and from what I hear about other schools, frum guys (not girls) just seem to have a more difficult time landing the big jobs.

I don't think it has to do with the yarmulka, as some guys didn't wear them on interviews. I think it has more to do with interviewing skills and pre-law school experience.

I find that frum guys generally underperform in both areas.
Understand that even in the broader student population at Penn, there are probably going to be a good number of students with out big law jobs at graduation. (between 20% and 30%) Also be aware that students without such jobs are not likely to be broadcasting their emplyment status to their classmates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
Understand that even in the broader student population at Penn, there are probably going to be a good number of students with out big law jobs at graduation. (between 20% and 30%) Also be aware that students without such jobs are not likely to be broadcasting their emplyment status to their classmates.

+1. but even at Penn I believe that 20-30% is too conservative in this market, especially for people graduating right now.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
True, but judging from LinkedIn employment statuses, and based on the general raid, I'd say rougly 60-70% got BigLaw. The year below me (2Ls) seems to be even higher. I hear people discussing it, although not too often.

Also, FWIW, three frum guys that had BigLaw over the summer got no-offered. So it wasn't just an interviewing fail, it was more of a general lack of success.

Getting no-offered may have more to do with substantive lack of certain skills, which we also excel at :)

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
True, but judging from LinkedIn employment statuses, and based on the general raid, I'd say rougly 60-70% got BigLaw. The year below me (2Ls) seems to be even higher. I hear people discussing it, although not too often.

Also, FWIW, three frum guys that had BigLaw over the summer got no-offered. So it wasn't just an interviewing fail, it was more of a general lack of success.

Getting no-offered may have more to do with substantive lack of certain skills, which we also excel at :)
If you don't mind saying, which firms no-offered the frum guys?

Also, congratulations on gratuating!

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
If you don't mind saying, which firms no-offered the frum guys?

Also, congratulations on gratuating!

Thank you. Baruch Hashem, it wasn't my firm.

If you're a rising 2L, or for whatever other reason it's nogeiah, I'd feel more comfortable if you PM me when you need the info.