Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kashrus
The KCI - Kashrut Committee of Ireland is the only Kashrus in Ireland.
The Rav Hamachshir is the Rabbi of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation Rabbi Lent - A Chabad Rabbi.

Kosher
SuperValu has a great Kosher Section with Fresh bread, challah, cheese, frozen/fresh meat, vegetarian (Tivall) products, frozen meals (can be reheated in non kosher ovens), wine and other basics are also available.
Open till 10:30pm seven days a week.
Address: SuperValu Braemor Road, Churchtown, Dublin 14

Bread Irish Pride Bread is Kosher (Re Pas Yisroel The Oven is officially turned off twice a year around Christmas Day and middle of the year around June 30 - Both times it is turned back on by the Rabbi. Some rely on this some don't, mainly because in this case there is no system for alerting the Rabbi in case the factory experiences an issue. Frum people in Ireland rely on this bread for 3 weeks after the fire is re-lit.)

Catering:
There is only one Kosher Certified caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein.
Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).
Her email is melaniestein123@gmail.com
The Standard cooking is NOT glatt, nor cholov Yisroel or pas yisroel.
(In Development is a Mehadrin option - by RCArentals in conjunction with Melanie/Rabbi lent - updates to come.)

Synagogue:
DUBLIN HEBREW CONGREGATION
32a Rathfarnham Road, Dublin 6

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation may be able to arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
(There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.)
Email: office@jewishireland.org with your, Names and Dates - requesting to be paired with Mehadrin if you specifically want mehadrin.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent.
Note: They cannot guarantee this - and it's a case by case request basis.

Activities:
Castles
Whiskey

Hotels:

« Last edited by rcarentals on May 24, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

Author Topic: Ireland Master Thread  (Read 45268 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Master Thread
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
In the middle of planning a trip to Scotland and Ireland. As of now, the plan is to fly to DUB form GLA on a Wednesday afternoon and leave from DUB on Tuesday afternoon the following week.

The rough plan is:

Go to Belfast and the Titanic museum by train on Thursday and return the same day to DUB.
Friday see DUB and Howth (nearby, seems quite quiet and nice).
Shabbos in DUB.
Sunday drive or take train to Limerick/Shannon area spend the night.
Monday drive to the cliffs of Moher.
Tuesday fly out.

Thoughts?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2018, 05:54:59 PM »
This looks like a great itinerary with kids. Never been to Ireland, but I've planned a trip out and this looks about right
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2018, 05:57:44 PM »
This looks like a great itinerary with kids. Never been to Ireland, but I've planned a trip out and this looks about right
Thanks. My only concern is driving for a long time with kids in the car.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:29:23 PM by Yehoshua »

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
Re: Ireland Master Thread - kosher food.
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:47 PM »
If you want kosher food.
What would be your best options? - (willing to pay a premium - but not hire a private chef and private house for the chef to cook)

The trip plan is mid jun LAX to Edinburgh then 1st week of july, Ireland.

2 nights at The Shelbourne in Dublin over Shabbos
2 nights at The Sheen Falls Lodge
2 nights at The Adare Manor

Ideas floating around include - ship pomegranate meals to each hotel - or to the first hotel - with 6 days food. Obviously it would have to be super fast shipping - no more than 48hrs door to door... but for 6 days of awesome kosher food - this may make the entire trip more enjoyable - so worth the cost.

Next option - attempt to get the chefs in each hotel to get brand new pots and pans and cook fish/veg at each place - for dinner. breakfast = eggs fried in special pan too. lunch - would be dry smoked meats.

Next option - find a kosher caterer to make the food in ireland - and pick it up locally - thing is i've found no concrete info on a kashrus there - and while one caterer mentions glatt - there is no info i can find shedding light on the level of kashrus...
The http://www.jewishireland.org site says there is ONE certified kosher caterer - but doesn't mention which.
I'm assuming it's Hinda bloom - from http://kosherireland.com - b/c of her mention of glatt - anyone know for sure? and anyone care to rate her food if you've had it?

From these 3 options - need to figure out which would then be the most enjoyable experience?

Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Dude, it's literally the exact trip I'm planning but for later in the summer! LAX-DUB-EDI, GLA-DUB, DUB-LAX with a week in Scotland and a week in Ireland. PM me and we can talk about details, or if you think it'll be beneficial to others, post here.
If you want kosher food.
What would be your best options? - (willing to pay a premium - but not hire a private chef and private house for the chef to cook)

The trip plan is mid jun LAX to Edinburgh then 1st week of july, Ireland.

2 nights at The Shelbourne in Dublin over Shabbos
2 nights at The Sheen Falls Lodge
2 nights at The Adare Manor

Ideas floating around include - ship pomegranate meals to each hotel - or to the first hotel - with 6 days food. Obviously it would have to be super fast shipping - no more than 48hrs door to door... but for 6 days of awesome kosher food - this may make the entire trip more enjoyable - so worth the cost.

Next option - attempt to get the chefs in each hotel to get brand new pots and pans and cook fish/veg at each place - for dinner. breakfast = eggs fried in special pan too. lunch - would be dry smoked meats.

Next option - find a kosher caterer to make the food in ireland - and pick it up locally - thing is i've found no concrete info on a kashrus there - and while one caterer mentions glatt - there is no info i can find shedding light on the level of kashrus...
The http://www.jewishireland.org site says there is ONE certified kosher caterer - but doesn't mention which.
I'm assuming it's Hinda bloom - from http://kosherireland.com - b/c of her mention of glatt - anyone know for sure? and anyone care to rate her food if you've had it?

From these 3 options - need to figure out which would then be the most enjoyable experience?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2018, 06:08:26 AM »
Thanks. My only concern is driving for a long time with kids in the car.
Obviously depends on your kids, but as long as you schedule the driver's around nap time, you should be fine
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Obviously depends on your kids, but as long as you schedule the driver's around nap time, you should be fine
Well obviously, the question is if the stove takes longer than nap time how they'll react to it.

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »
There is only one kosher approved caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein. Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Orthodox shul and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).

Caterer Hinda Bloom is not Certified and lists her food as glatt.
According to a reliable source of mine in Dublin - I was told that It's not at the level i would need to eat it.

The Shul with a Chabad rabbi is:

Good Shabbos!
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
There is only one kosher approved caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein. Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Orthodox shul and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).

According to a reliable source of mine in Dublin - I was told that It's not at the level i would need to eat it.

Good Shabbos!

There is also a fairly good kosher section at the supermarket listed on shul website - when I was there they had bread, cold meats, cheeses, groceries, wine etc -  plus a small selection of kosher (glatt, Kedessia) frozen meals from Hermolis in London, at reasonable prices.

http://www.jewishireland.org/visiting-ireland/food/

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2018, 12:09:23 AM »

Good Shabbos!
Good to know. Thanks.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »
We're arriving around noon in DUB on Wednesday where we'll stay though Sunday. We'll be travelling with a 2 year old and an 8 month old. We want to go to Belfast to see the Titanic museum. Does it make sense to just go for the day, or does it make more sense to spend the night and come back on Friday?

FWIW there are same day return train tickets that are cheaper than a return ticket on different days.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »
We're arriving around noon in DUB on Wednesday where we'll stay though Sunday. We'll be travelling with a 2 year old and an 8 month old. We want to go to Belfast to see the Titanic museum. Does it make sense to just go for the day, or does it make more sense to spend the night and come back on Friday?

FWIW there are same day return train tickets that are cheaper than a return ticket on different days.
I don't know what else there is to do in Belfast (do some research to see), but if nothing else, you can come back that night. Museum takes a nice amount of hours if you go slowly (which for a fan, makes sense). You'll be cutting it close to missing closing time of the next-door shipyard where the ship was actually built. We missed it when we went, so can't comment on how worth it it is.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
I don't know what else there is to do in Belfast (do some research to see), but if nothing else, you can come back that night. Museum takes a nice amount of hours if you go slowly (which for a fan, makes sense). You'll be cutting it close to missing closing time of the next-door shipyard where the ship was actually built. We missed it when we went, so can't comment on how worth it it is.
Thanks. As of now we'll just say in DUB. Thanks.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
Anyone ever spend shabbos in Dublin with kids who can't walk (ie you're stuck inside all shabbos with them)? Where did you stay? What did you do for meals? Were you able to walk to a shul?

Offline shafirboy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »
This might be a useful site for those looking http://www.jewishireland.org/ The site includes a section on where to buy kosher food (very limited) and places to stay near the only active shul in Dublin. There is a chabad rabbi in Dublin who might be able to help the last poster with his query on where to stay with kids who can't walk although as far as I am aware there is no Eruv.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
This might be a useful site for those looking http://www.jewishireland.org/ The site includes a section on where to buy kosher food (very limited) and places to stay near the only active shul in Dublin. There is a chabad rabbi in Dublin who might be able to help the last poster with his query on where to stay with kids who can't walk although as far as I am aware there is no Eruv.
You're quite right. I know of that site and even have a handbook out together by the shul specific to summer 2018. Unfortunately it doesn't list a place to stay with kids near shul.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2018, 11:47:34 PM »
http://www.thegobbinscliffpath.com

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2018, 12:59:22 AM »
Does anyone know of any place near the shul that's suitable for kids on shabbos? Airbnb has practically nothing, and the few things they do have are really expensive. There are a few cheap guest houses listed on the shul's official list, but most look really bad. Has anyone here ever even stayed in Dublin for shabbos?

Offline rcarentals

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »
Ok after speaking to Rabbi Lent and Melanie stein - I have created loads of info for the wiki: Pm me for any q's.. some of the info.. I was told not to publish as it's off the record stuff...

Kashrus
The Rav Hamachshir is the Rabbi of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation Rabbi Lent - A Chabad Rabbi.

Kosher
SuperValu has a great Kosher Section with Fresh bread, challah, cheese, frozen/fresh meat, vegetarian (Tivall) products, frozen meals (can be reheated in non kosher ovens), wine and other basics are also available.

Bread Irish Pride Bread is Kosher (Re Pas Yisroel The Oven is officially turned off twice a year around Christmas Day and middle of the year around June 30 - Both times it is turned back on by the Rabbi. Some rely on this some don't, mainly because in this case there is no system for alerting the Rabbi in case the factory experiences an issue. Frum people in Ireland rely on this bread for 3 weeks after the fire is re-lit.)

Catering:
Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).
(In Development is a Mehadrin option - by RCArentals in conjunction with Melanie/Rabbi lent - updates to come.)

Synagogue:

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation can arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.
Email: office@jewishireland.org with your, Names and Dates - requesting to be paired with Mehadrin if you specifically want mehadrin.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Ok after speaking to Rabbi Lent and Melanie stein - I have created loads of info for the wiki: Pm me for any q's.. some of the info.. I was told not to publish as it's off the record stuff...

Kashrus

Kosher

Catering:

Synagogue:

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation can arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent
Wow! That's great info. Thanks for sharing!