Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kashrus
The KCI - Kashrut Committee of Ireland is the only Kashrus in Ireland.
The Rav Hamachshir is the Rabbi of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation Rabbi Lent - A Chabad Rabbi.

Kosher
SuperValu has a great Kosher Section with Fresh bread, challah, cheese, frozen/fresh meat, vegetarian (Tivall) products, frozen meals (can be reheated in non kosher ovens), wine and other basics are also available.
Open till 10:30pm seven days a week.
Address: SuperValu Braemor Road, Churchtown, Dublin 14

Bread Irish Pride Bread is Kosher (Re Pas Yisroel The Oven is officially turned off twice a year around Christmas Day and middle of the year around June 30 - Both times it is turned back on by the Rabbi. Some rely on this some don't, mainly because in this case there is no system for alerting the Rabbi in case the factory experiences an issue. Frum people in Ireland rely on this bread for 3 weeks after the fire is re-lit.)

Catering:
There is only one Kosher Certified caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein.
Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).
Her email is melaniestein123@gmail.com
The Standard cooking is NOT glatt, nor cholov Yisroel or pas yisroel.
(In Development is a Mehadrin option - by RCArentals in conjunction with Melanie/Rabbi lent - updates to come.)

Synagogue:
DUBLIN HEBREW CONGREGATION
32a Rathfarnham Road, Dublin 6

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation may be able to arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
(There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.)
Email: office@jewishireland.org with your, Names and Dates - requesting to be paired with Mehadrin if you specifically want mehadrin.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent.
Note: They cannot guarantee this - and it's a case by case request basis.

Activities:
Castles
Whiskey

Hotels:

« Last edited by rcarentals on May 24, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

Author Topic: Ireland Master Thread  (Read 45270 times)

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
Re: Ireland Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
ok - correction/clarification

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation may be able to arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
(There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.)
Email: office@jewishireland.org with your, Names and Dates - requesting to be paired with Mehadrin if you specifically want mehadrin.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent.
Note: They cannot guarantee this - and it's a case by case request basis.
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)

Offline Nonastai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »
We're arriving around noon in DUB on Wednesday where we'll stay though Sunday. We'll be travelling with a 2 year old and an 8 month old. We want to go to Belfast to see the Titanic museum. Does it make sense to just go for the day, or does it make more sense to spend the night and come back on Friday?

FWIW there are same day return train tickets that are cheaper than a return ticket on different days.

Hi!
I haven't been to Ireland yet, but I am going to next week and have done a lot of research on what to do and how to do things.
Re: Belfast - there are a lot of tour companies that will do day trips from Dublin to Northern Ireland, including visiting Belfast, The Titanic museum, and Giant's Causeway (supposedly beautiful). It makes visiting N. Ireland much easier because they arrange all the transportation (its apparently a long drive up there) and you get back to Dublin that night. This is the tour I'm going on: https://wildrovertours.com/activity/giants-causeway-belfast-city-carrick-a-rede-rope-bridge/ but apparently a bunch of different companies do it (and you don't necessarily need to book in advance). Of course, its pricier to go with a group but might save a headache. From what I understand, theres only 2ish days worth of stuff to see and do in Dublin so if you'll be there from Wednesday through Sunday, might make sense to do this as a day trip on Thursday.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »
Hi!
I haven't been to Ireland yet, but I am going to next week and have done a lot of research on what to do and how to do things.
Re: Belfast - there are a lot of tour companies that will do day trips from Dublin to Northern Ireland, including visiting Belfast, The Titanic museum, and Giant's Causeway (supposedly beautiful). It makes visiting N. Ireland much easier because they arrange all the transportation (its apparently a long drive up there) and you get back to Dublin that night. This is the tour I'm going on: https://wildrovertours.com/activity/giants-causeway-belfast-city-carrick-a-rede-rope-bridge/ but apparently a bunch of different companies do it (and you don't necessarily need to book in advance). Of course, its pricier to go with a group but might save a headache. From what I understand, theres only 2ish days worth of stuff to see and do in Dublin so if you'll be there from Wednesday through Sunday, might make sense to do this as a day trip on Thursday.
Thank! I'll have to look into it and hear what you think of it when you get back.

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2018, 07:03:31 AM »
A friend of mine sent me a pdf with a ton of Jewish/Kosher information on Ireland. Is there an easy way to share a pdf?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
A friend of mine sent me a pdf with a ton of Jewish/Kosher information on Ireland. Is there an easy way to share a pdf?
Upload as attachment?

Offline Nonastai

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
If you email office@jewishireland.org they can send you the whole document along with helping arrange your shabbos meals if you need. Also the SuperValue mentioned above has a small kosher section with a number of products from the US and UK with hechshers. The packet the office will send you also contains a lengthy list of all kosher products in Ireland that you can find in regular supermarkets. Very helpful when you just want to buy a yogurt in the morning anywhere you are.

Online ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
Anyone order meals from Hinda Bloom?  What size were her portions? Can we share 2 meals for 3 people, or it's really enough just for 1?

I was thinking of hiring a "man with a van", rather than rent a car and a guide.
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline jonesy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2018, 02:11:09 PM »
We used Bill Mcsweeny at www.irishtaxitours.ie for a short layover in Dublin. He had a nice van, was reliable and gave us a nice short driving tour. Not much to do in Dublin

I was thinking of hiring a "man with a van", rather than rent a car and a guide.
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone?
[/quote]

Online ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »
Thanks
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
have a 12 hour layover in Dublin (7am-7pm)
looking for a full day tour-any recommendations? (I've seen websites like irishdaytours.ie and I'm not discounting them just looking for personal recommendations here :D)

nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
have a 12 hour layover in Dublin (7am-7pm)
looking for a full day tour-any recommendations? (I've seen websites like irishdaytours.ie and I'm not discounting them just looking for personal recommendations here :D)
I've never left the airport in Dublin.
However, I always do a free walking tour for an overview of the city. I then decide which sites to visit.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »
I've never left the airport in Dublin.
However, I always do a free walking tour for an overview of the city. I then decide which sites to visit.
where do the tours start? Airport? City center?
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2018, 02:33:47 AM »
where do the tours start? Airport? City center?
City center.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline tam111

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
I returned from 8 days of travel in Ireland in late August and spent the last two days in Dublin.  If you have a 12 hour layover, you have options.  Dublin is only 30 minutes from the airport and you can even do a tour of Wicklowe mountains which is 90 minutes away.  Depends if you want city or lakes, mountain/countryside.

For Dublin, I didn’t find it very interesting. The tour guide I used was www.tourdublin.ie.  I didn’t realize what it was until I was on the tour but it is a private driver telling you about Dublin and dropping you off at various sights and you self tour the sight and get back in the car. I guess it was fine but I feel like you get to know the city better walking around which we did the rest of the day (we did a half day).

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Please write a trip report?  :D

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2018, 11:37:12 PM »
If someone is going to Ireland for a week or so and would like to know what to do about kosher food, you can always fly to Manchester for practically pennies (Ryanair) and pick up food there. It’s an hour flight each way and costs about $25 round trip. You’ll be back by lunch.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2018, 01:37:10 PM »
If someone is going to Ireland for a week or so and would like to know what to do about kosher food, you can always fly to Manchester for practically pennies (Ryanair) and pick up food there. It’s an hour flight each way and costs about $25 round trip. You’ll be back by lunch.
Wish we had one hour $25 RT flights in the US :)
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »
Wish we had one hour $25 RT flights in the US :)
Well, we do.  But it doesn't get you far enough for a complete change of scenery.
Maybe not 25, but 25 from Ireland is also pushing it. Its very rare to get that flight.
In Israel once they finish electrifing all the rails (in many many years), every restaurant in Israel will be two hours away max. And you'll be able to go from slightly snowy mountain caps to dessert sun in three. They still have plans for airports and flights, but that'll take tens of years to happen.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
Ireland Master Thread
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »
Well, we do.  But it doesn't get you far enough for a complete change of scenery.
Maybe not 25, but 25 from Ireland is also pushing it. Its very rare to get that flight.
In Israel once they finish electrifing all the rails (in many many years), every restaurant in Israel will be two hours away max. And you'll be able to go from slightly snowy mountain caps to dessert sun in three. They still have plans for airports and flights, but that'll take tens of years to happen.
$25 is rare? It’s the basic flight. Go on Ryanair website. They have about 5 flights a day at that price. Some a couple of pounds more.
1penny is the rare ones.

Online nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
I returned from 8 days of travel in Ireland in late August and spent the last two days in Dublin.  If you have a 12 hour layover, you have options.  Dublin is only 30 minutes from the airport and you can even do a tour of Wicklowe mountains which is 90 minutes away.  Depends if you want city or lakes, mountain/countryside.

For Dublin, I didn’t find it very interesting. The tour guide I used was www.tourdublin.ie.  I didn’t realize what it was until I was on the tour but it is a private driver telling you about Dublin and dropping you off at various sights and you self tour the sight and get back in the car. I guess it was fine but I feel like you get to know the city better walking around which we did the rest of the day (we did a half day).
would love to see a TR
I may be going for a day or two in 2 weeks from today.
Would love to "steal" some of your itinerary
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.