Topic Wiki

List of TR's:

Kashrus
The KCI - Kashrut Committee of Ireland is the only Kashrus in Ireland.
The Rav Hamachshir is the Rabbi of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation Rabbi Lent - A Chabad Rabbi.

Kosher
SuperValu has a great Kosher Section with Fresh bread, challah, cheese, frozen/fresh meat, vegetarian (Tivall) products, frozen meals (can be reheated in non kosher ovens), wine and other basics are also available.
Open till 10:30pm seven days a week.
Address: SuperValu Braemor Road, Churchtown, Dublin 14

Bread Irish Pride Bread is Kosher (Re Pas Yisroel The Oven is officially turned off twice a year around Christmas Day and middle of the year around June 30 - Both times it is turned back on by the Rabbi. Some rely on this some don't, mainly because in this case there is no system for alerting the Rabbi in case the factory experiences an issue. Frum people in Ireland rely on this bread for 3 weeks after the fire is re-lit.)

Catering:
There is only one Kosher Certified caterer in Ireland, Melanie Stein.
Melanie cooks in the kosher kitchens of the Dublin Hebrew Congregation and is under basic supervision (ie there is not a mashgiach constantly on site).
Her email is melaniestein123@gmail.com
The Standard cooking is NOT glatt, nor cholov Yisroel or pas yisroel.
(In Development is a Mehadrin option - by RCArentals in conjunction with Melanie/Rabbi lent - updates to come.)

Synagogue:
DUBLIN HEBREW CONGREGATION
32a Rathfarnham Road, Dublin 6

Shabbos Meals
The Dublin Hebrew Congregation may be able to arrange Shabbos meals at local residents.
(There is a mandatory Donation of 36eur p/p.)
Email: office@jewishireland.org with your, Names and Dates - requesting to be paired with Mehadrin if you specifically want mehadrin.
Typically Friday night guests are paired with Rabbi Lent.
Note: They cannot guarantee this - and it's a case by case request basis.

Activities:
Castles
Whiskey

Hotels:

« Last edited by rcarentals on May 24, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

Author Topic: Ireland Master Thread  (Read 45259 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Part of the OWE. CDG-LHR-DUB and DUB-CLT.lol
When I was looking into going into Ireland, it made sense to me to fly into SNN and fly out of DUB (or vice-versa) as to only have to drive across the country once. Not sure if this is feasible for you
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline MC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
Thanks, that would be great! I'm there for 1.5 days in July. Going with my wife (both young twenties), but we aren't into drinking so pub crawls don't interest us.
Ok... here's his email (apparently he didn't quite get the memo about not being into drinking :P):

Best things to do in Ireland-you must!!!!

1-one hour hike up SUGARLOAF MOUNTAIN (not too bad-my 7 yr old did it)-absolutely incredible!!!

2-after sugarloaf-have a drink in the greatest of the old Irish pubs, JOHNNY FOX'S.

3-JAMESON DISTILLERY (much better than GUINESS)

4-if you make it up north to Belfast, the (titanic was built there )and the new TITANIC MUSEUM is unreal. Plus dont miss the PUMP HOUSE tour which shows exactly where the ship was built-mindowing. Also try to get to the BUSHMILLS tour.

5-POWERS COURT-breathtaking grand house!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
When I was looking into going into Ireland, it made sense to me to fly into SNN and fly out of DUB (or vice-versa) as to only have to drive across the country once. Not sure if this is feasible for you
Thanks for the idea. Just checked though, no flights are showing up LHR-SNN on AA.com, but more importantly, SNN-DUB would require an OJ and I only get 1, which I'm using in CLT as I'm not going back to my beginning in TLV.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
Ok... here's his email (apparently he didn't quite get the memo about not being into drinking :P):

Best things to do in Ireland-you must!!!!

1-one hour hike up SUGARLOAF MOUNTAIN (not too bad-my 7 yr old did it)-absolutely incredible!!!

2-after sugarloaf-have a drink in the greatest of the old Irish pubs, JOHNNY FOX'S.

3-JAMESON DISTILLERY (much better than GUINESS)

4-if you make it up north to Belfast, the (titanic was built there )and the new TITANIC MUSEUM is unreal. Plus dont miss the PUMP HOUSE tour which shows exactly where the ship was built-mindowing. Also try to get to the BUSHMILLS tour.

5-POWERS COURT-breathtaking grand house!
Thank you!! Awesome how quickly they responded!
I didn't see we can't drink a beer, we're just not interested in only hitting up pubs. Plus, factory tours are usually pretty cool.

What I'm getting here is that there aren't attractions near either the points-hotels by the airport or by the B&Bs near the Shul. Jameson and Powers Court are about equidistant between the points hotels and the B&Bs (appx 20 min drive either way). The mountain is 50 min south, Titanic is 2 hours north, Bushmills is an hour north of that. Looks like the only way to really enjoy our time is to rent a car. I still probably can't get to all those sites even with a car, but they're simply too far to take cabs or waste time with public transportation, and if I want to go to Shul anyway, a rental car would be worth it just for those trips alone.

Thanks for all that help! Really, really appreciate it. My wife enjoys her hometown Coors Factory, so I'm sure she'll go for these tours + Titanic is on her all-time movie list, so that's a no-brainer for an awesome experience.

Do you mind just asking them if parking is going to be doable in town and at these attractions?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 03:26:35 PM »
Just realized that you drive on the left side of the road in Ireland. This should be interesting. Anyone have experience with left-side driving? Is it hard to pickup on the first try?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Just realized that you drive on the left side of the road in Ireland. This should be interesting. Anyone have experience with left-side driving? Is it hard to pickup on the first try?
Not too bad to pick up. It takes a little bit of getting used to. Just keep repeating to yourself, close left far right. It's a shame to only do it a day and a half because by the time you get used to it, you'll be done

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
Not too bad to pick up. It takes a little bit of getting used to. Just keep repeating to yourself, close left far right. It's a shame to only do it a day and a half because by the time you get used to it, you'll be done
Okay. Wow, I'm picturing those turns now. Haha.
I might also get a rental in England for trips like Harry Potter tour or maybe Windsor/Stonehenge/Bath, so I might just be a pro at this by the time I'm done.

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Does anybody know anything about Shabbos meals in Dublin? Are they available at Chabad? Any other options? Also, what are the must sees? How far are they from Dublin?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
Does anybody know anything about Shabbos meals in Dublin? Are they available at Chabad? Any other options? Also, what are the must sees? How far are they from Dublin?
Just got back today :)
Didn't stay for Shabbos so I don't know.
Read upthread for ideas - it's a short one. A quick TR - we did Jameson Distillery tour in town and it was great! We also took a 2 hr 15 min train to Belfast to the Titanic Museum - my wife, a Titanic movie lover, absolutely loved it. I, who enjoyed the movie, thought it was nice.

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »

There is no real Chabad in Dublin. The rav of the shul is a chabadnick. If you want meals, you can contact him or contact me and I can put you in touch with the right people.  There are no hotels just B&Bs within walking distance of the shul.

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Just got back today :)
Didn't stay for Shabbos so I don't know.
Read upthread for ideas - it's a short one. A quick TR - we did Jameson Distillery tour in town and it was great! We also took a 2 hr 15 min train to Belfast to the Titanic Museum - my wife, a Titanic movie lover, absolutely loved it. I, who enjoyed the movie, thought it was nice.
Thanx for the suggestion! Looking forward to reading your entire TR!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »
Is it worth stopping in DUB from a Tuesday night through a Thursday night or spending more time in LHR and CDG? Why?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
For me the allure of Ireland is not Dublin but the country-side/nature. I wouldn't do just for DUB. I'd rather spend more time in Paris and London

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
But the city itself is fun, too :)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 01:51:51 PM »
Do things right. Spend the proper time in London and Paris and you'll come back to Ireland some other time

Offline MC

• View Profile
Ireland Master Thread
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:12 PM »
I may be a little (or a lot) biased but I say go to Ireland. It's a beautiful country filled with the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Unless you know that you'll be going back for a proper visit, jump on the opportunity now. It's probably a lot more likely that another trip will have you stopping in LHR and you can always see more of it (London) then.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:17:03 PM by MC »

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
Or you can always get a BOS-DUB flight for not too many Avios.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
For me the allure of Ireland is not Dublin but the country-side/nature. I wouldn't do just for DUB. I'd rather spend more time in Paris and London
Any examples? Cliffs of Mohr ad discussed upthread?
Do things right. Spend the proper time in London and Paris and you'll come back to Ireland some other time
I've been to London before. Seen most of the attraction in the city (not the Dungeons though). That's why I'm thinking of spending shabbos there. Do you still think it's not worth it for me?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 02:43:01 PM »
I may be a little (or a lot) biased but I say go to Ireland. It's a beautiful country filled with the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Unless you know that you'll be going back for a proper visit, jump on the opportunity now
Yeah, maybe just a little  ;). I don't know if I'd be going back anytime soon.
It's probably a lot more likely that another trip will have you stopping in LHR and you can always see more of it (London) then.
That's exactly how I saw LHR the last time.

Or you can always get a BOS-DUB flight for not too many Avios.
True, but not too practical unless I move to the east coast.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »
True, but not too practical unless I move to the east coast.
Ah, yes. That would help.