Topic Wiki

Trip Reports, notes and reviews:

Airports:
Foreign visitors staying for more than 24 hours would be expected to pay 350 pesos ($18.50), although giving to the fund is completely Optional.

From airport you can take a private car or shuttle but book it before from someone with 5 star rating from TripAdvisor or Yelp. Many scam artist in the airport.

Getting around town there’s car rental, taxi, bus and Uber. But Uber might not be allowed in your lobby.

Where to stay:  Points?
Hilton Points
Waldorf
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Los Cabos

Marriott Points
Solaz, a Luxury Collection Resort (RECENTLY CLOSED)
JW Marriott
Westin
Fairfield inn

Hyatt Points
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
Ziva-All inclusive

IHG
Holiday Inn Express Cabo San Lucas

Kosher:
Reb Benny +52 624 133 0489
Baja Kosher (covid currently closed)

"Costco has tuna fish, OU Glatt sausages, Chalav Yisrael Natural and Kosher cheeses, salmon etc.
Walmart, La Comer, Soriana, Chedraui have smoked salmon, fruits, veggies, pastas, eggs, sugars rice, cereal, ketchup, mustard, Dolores brand tuna (not bishul yisrael), etc.
Corn tortillas fresh are usually kosher and they’re shehakol.
Yogurts, milk, and spreads can be found here but they are cholov akum.
If you want Cholov Yisrael milk, we get ours from the farm so let us know earlier and we will try to get you some.
Wine is available at La Europea.
For those looking for ice cream shops that are OUD, there is a Ben and Jerry's and a Haagen Dazz. " -Chabad

Chabad:

What to do:

PLEASE UPDATE

« Last edited by davidmal on March 23, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »

Author Topic: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread  (Read 93525 times)

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Los Cabos, Mexico Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »
Rabbi Benny & Sonia are the best!
Nuff said.

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
BIG NEWS!

Cabo is about to have a glatt kosher restaurant! But they need your help to get it started... please give to the go fund me campaign to help them cover the start up costs.

This restaurant is run by Chabad and it won't make lots of money, they are doing it purely to HELP provide kosher food for people that are looking for a place to vacation!

https://www.gofundme.com/baja-kosher-restaurant-in-los-cabos

LET'S PUT CABO ON THE KOSHER MAP! It's a really beautiful place... and the chabad shluchim are awesome.

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Has anyone gone late December?  Is it packed then?  Is it worth going there for 2 days if we can't go to beaches with non tznius people there.
Not looking to spend all day at the beach, don't mind going in the early morning to a non touristy spot.
Is there other things to do besides the beach?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline lifetimedeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
How is cabos vs cancun? I have been to cancun already. any major difference? Thanks.

Offline brooklyndan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
Has anyone gone late December?  Is it packed then?  Is it worth going there for 2 days if we can't go to beaches with non tznius people there.
Not looking to spend all day at the beach, don't mind going in the early morning to a non touristy spot.
Is there other things to do besides the beach?

Just got back from Cabo last week. Rabbi Benny can answer any questions about what to do and where to go etc.
There are beautiful empty beaches on the Pacific side of Cabo about 20 minutes outside the city. you could put your feet in the water, but that's it because it's rough and dangerous.
If you want beautiful swimming/snorkling beaches, earlier to mid morning Chileno Beach will be pretty empty as long as it's not a weekend or holiday. By late morning or afternoon it'll have plenty of non-tznius. Swimming beaches are on the sea of cortez side of Cabo.

Offline brooklyndan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2017, 11:44:13 PM »
How is cabos vs cancun? I have been to cancun already. any major difference? Thanks.

Cancun feels like Miami Beach. Cabo feels like chilled out Mexico, but safe - seems like police are everywhere. 
Cabo also has a very good cheap Kosher restaurant run by the Chabad Rabbi, who's very nice.

Offline enwhycee

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
Just booked airfare for Feb.

SNA-SJD 10K SW + $94 Tax

Got plenty of HH to burn for room..

Any other lodging suggestions?

Offline ganizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
got back from Cabo last week.

a few things: the mafia runs the taxis so its way overpriced and theres no competition. no free hotel shuttles from the airport. it seems like you need to book round trip transportation from the airport before you arrive. shuttles is the cheapest. i think its about $21 a person for a shuttle each way and taxis are $60 or more one way. (not a set amount, price will go up with the amount of passengers) there is a local bus that the locals use. its $5 US from the airport to cabo. takes about an hour as opposed to the 35- 40 minute drive by car. not sure how long a shuttle takes. i guess it depends on how many stops they have to make

the city is very safe, people are pretty helpful.

you almost dont need pesos - in the tourist areas, they take US dollars for everything. but take cash, u never know if there will be fraud on your cc, though they have atm's all around if u need.

expect to tip for everything. the initial prices are pretty cheap though.

many beachfront hotels  - you actually cant swim in the water as its not safe.

i asked earlier on this thread about tznius. overall i found that it was fine. since we took our own boat for the tour we didnt have anyone in their bathing suits on the boat with us. for parasailing - its gets windy so most people are wearing stuff over their bathing suits. sunset cruise it can actually get a bit chilly, everyone is dressed. as for the Marina and walking around. I found it to be the same as walking in California in the summer. most dressed normally, a few not.
the Mexicans dress pretty modestly especially considering the temp.
we didnt stay at a resort so cant answer for that

if youre going to rent a car - look on trip advisor, they list a few trustworthy places. apparently there is a required daily mexican insurance charge (third party) on top of the regular insurance. most rental places will make you pay the regular insurance unless you argue or bring proof that your cc covers. so online you can find very cheap rentals, but you wont end up paying that.
with the trusted places it will be about $50 a day for a compact to standard card. everything included.
book in advance as they get booked pretty fast

for the activities to do there - theres plenty stuff you can book online in advance, but you can also book from the marina while youre there. prices arent too much different. as soon as you get to the marina (and even before) theres people trying to sell you stuff

things to do
basic boat tour to the popular beaches, lands end arch, ....
a glass bottom boat or water taxi will cost you $10 a person. some may charge you a bit more if you want to get out and swim or snorkel and then get back in. one of the spots - pelican cove - is clear waters with all theses beautiful fish. you have to rent the snorkelling stuff from the marina. to me it seemed, many were just swimming with goggles. you can even see the fish from the boat. its a small area, and during busy season it was jammed
we got a boat for just us 2, for $15 each. the basic tour is around 40 minutes

parasailing - costs about $40 each

whale watching - price depends on the size of the boat and how many you go with. we were offered $100 for a boat with just us.
usually about 2.5 hours

sunset cruise - again depends on the boat, there is 15 people boats and much bigger ones. about 2 hours. most offer open bar and light supper.

fishing trips - again depending on size. i think these are 5 hours

they also have tubing and banana boats, jet skis...

other activities is swimming with dolphins, horseback riding, electric bikes, scuba diving
and atving - that seems to be big there

i found on trip advisor - glass blowing factory. not too many people knew about it and 3 taxis we asked didnt know where it was as the address says the main street but its not on that street.
was nice place, you can watch them make the stuff and you can make requests or actually help make your own piece.
keep in mind that you will have to come the next day to pick up the stuff if its made on the spot. and they stop making things by 3:30 so you need to go there earlier. its about a 5 minute drive from the marina.

the kosher restaurant is in the "mall" right near the marina. easy to walk there. great food! friendly helpful staff. Rabbi Benny is very helpful and has ideas, tips and contacts (disclaimer - i am related)

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »

Thank you, good info.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »

a few things: the mafia runs the taxis so its way overpriced and theres no competition. no free hotel shuttles from the airport. it seems like you need to book round trip transportation from the airport before you arrive. shuttles is the cheapest. i think its about $21 a person for a shuttle each way and taxis are $60 or more one way. (not a set amount, price will go up with the amount of passengers) there is a local bus that the locals use. its $5 US from the airport to cabo. takes about an hour as opposed to the 35- 40 minute drive by car. not sure how long a shuttle takes. i guess it depends on how many stops they have to make

the city is very safe, people are pretty helpful.

you almost dont need pesos - in the tourist areas, they take US dollars for everything. but take cash, u never know if there will be fraud on your cc, though they have atm's all around if u need.

expect to tip for everything. the initial prices are pretty cheap though.

i asked earlier on this thread about tznius. overall i found that it was fine. since we took our own boat for the tour we didnt have anyone in their bathing suits on the boat with us. for parasailing - its gets windy so most people are wearing stuff over their bathing suits. sunset cruise it can actually get a bit chilly, everyone is dressed. as for the Marina and walking around. I found it to be the same as walking in California in the summer. most dressed normally, a few not.
the Mexicans dress pretty modestly especially considering the temp.
we didnt stay at a resort so cant answer for that

if youre going to rent a car - look on trip advisor, they list a few trustworthy places. apparently there is a required daily mexican insurance charge (third party) on top of the regular insurance. most rental places will make you pay the regular insurance unless you argue or bring proof that your cc covers. so online you can find very cheap rentals, but you wont end up paying that.
with the trusted places it will be about $50 a day for a compact to standard card. everything included.
book in advance as they get booked pretty fast

for the activities to do there - theres plenty stuff you can book online in advance, but you can also book from the marina while youre there. prices arent too much different. as soon as you get to the marina (and even before) theres people trying to sell you stuff

things to do
basic boat tour to the popular beaches, lands end arch, ....
a glass bottom boat or water taxi will cost you $10 a person. some may charge you a bit more if you want to get out and swim or snorkel and then get back in. one of the spots - pelican cove - is clear waters with all theses beautiful fish. you have to rent the snorkelling stuff from the marina. to me it seemed, many were just swimming with goggles. you can even see the fish from the boat. its a small area, and during busy season it was jammed
we got a boat for just us 2, for $15 each. the basic tour is around 40 minutes

parasailing - costs about $40 each

whale watching - price depends on the size of the boat and how many you go with. we were offered $100 for a boat with just us.
usually about 2.5 hours

sunset cruise - again depends on the boat, there is 15 people boats and much bigger ones. about 2 hours. most offer open bar and light supper.

fishing trips - again depending on size. i think these are 5 hours

they also have tubing and banana boats, jet skis...

other activities is swimming with dolphins, horseback riding, electric bikes, scuba diving
and atving - that seems to be big there

i found on trip advisor - glass blowing factory. not too many people knew about it and 3 taxis we asked didnt know where it was as the address says the main street but its not on that street.
was nice place, you can watch them make the stuff and you can make requests or actually help make your own piece.
keep in mind that you will have to come the next day to pick up the stuff if its made on the spot. and they stop making things by 3:30 so you need to go there earlier. its about a 5 minute drive from the marina.

the kosher restaurant is in the "mall" right near the marina. easy to walk there. great food! friendly helpful staff. Rabbi Benny is very helpful and has ideas, tips and contacts (disclaimer - i am related)

Nice little TR. Add it to the wiki
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
Anyone ever spend Shabbos in Cabos?

Offline enwhycee

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »

Awesome write up!!

I booked a car on hotwire from the Europcar in the SJD Terminal.

I also got the insurance but everything seemed very cheap...

Am i gonna regret that?

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »

why not?

ps. is there uber?
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline ganizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »
Because of the under currents.  Not safe

No uber as of now

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
I grew so accustomed to using uber
I can't believe how many countries have uber these days....
-DMC

Offline brooklyndan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
why not?

ps. is there uber?

On Pacific side dangerous to swim. There are SOME swimmable beaches on the gulf side within easy driving distance of downtown. Also, by downtown along parts of Playa El Madano, the beach is swimmable, but choppy.

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Whats the weather like in the summer? does it get very humid?
Also is the kosher restaurant open all year?

Offline msl2008

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
Going there for a bachelor party in October.  Any recs on all inclusive resorts and things to do?

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2018, 11:16:07 PM »
Planning a trip. Anyone use uber from airport ? Seems it’s available when I looked on the app.