Author Topic: United award flights  (Read 804092 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: United award flights
« Reply #1380 on: June 09, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Is there a point to checking in online for a UA flight in J? I don't really need to worry about a long line at priority checkin or about overhead space.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1381 on: June 09, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
Is there a point to checking in online for a UA flight in J? I don't really need to worry about a long line at priority checkin or about overhead space.

If you don't check in and get there late, they could give away your seat.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
If you don't check in and get there late, they could give away your seat.
Ooo ok then good to know.
2 seats together on a UA 767-400 - can either be first row (bulkhead) or last row (close to bathroom). From seatguru it looks like there's a galley in front and in back. Is bulkhead annoying bc you can't have any bags down during takeoff/landing? Will the lie-flat be limited bc of it?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
Couldn't check in. Got an email saying my passport needs to be verified at the airport. Any ideas?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 09, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
Couldn't check in. Got an email saying my passport needs to be verified at the airport. Any ideas?
New passport?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: June 10, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
I'm looking on United.com for a flight for two, one-way from Israel to NYC in saver business/first somewhere around 1/25/15-1/27/15. I have a CC, but no other status.

This is not a request for help with the flight per se, but rather a request for help understanding my options in the process. If anything that I'm asking is of a don't-discuss-in-public nature, please let me know here or PM me (or both).

1. For my dates, I see nothing in saver business/first except on partners, and they all seem to have moderate (5h+) layovers or mixed-cabin booking, or both. How risky is it to wait and see? Is United (or the partners) known to open things up x days or weeks prior?

2. Let's say I want to book something now and see if something better comes up. Do I have any chance of switching a Standard award to a Saver on a different date? The CC doesn't give me a higher status for change fees, right? If I book something and change the date 21+ days before, it will be $75/ticket, within 21 days, $100/ticket, both assuming I keep the same beginning and end points? But would they let me pocket the difference in miles in those cases, if I found saver availability? $200/ticket to cancel and redeposit the miles, right? Ew.

3. Would I have any other options if I didn't want to redeposit the miles?

4. I'm intrigued to try Plan B on United itself, but I don't see any saver availability for them at all for my dates.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
I'm looking on United.com for a flight for two, one-way from Israel to NYC in saver business/first somewhere around 1/25/15-1/27/15. I have a CC, but no other status.

This is not a request for help with the flight per se, but rather a request for help understanding my options in the process. If anything that I'm asking is of a don't-discuss-in-public nature, please let me know here or PM me (or both).

1. For my dates, I see nothing in saver business/first except on partners, and they all seem to have moderate (5h+) layovers or mixed-cabin booking, or both. How risky is it to wait and see? Is United (or the partners) known to open things up x days or weeks prior?

2. Let's say I want to book something now and see if something better comes up. Do I have any chance of switching a Standard award to a Saver on a different date? The CC doesn't give me a higher status for change fees, right? If I book something and change the date 21+ days before, it will be $75/ticket, within 21 days, $100/ticket, both assuming I keep the same beginning and end points? But would they let me pocket the difference in miles in those cases, if I found saver availability? $200/ticket to cancel and redeposit the miles, right? Ew.

3. Would I have any other options if I didn't want to redeposit the miles?

4. I'm intrigued to try Plan B on United itself, but I don't see any saver availability for them at all for my dates.

Thanks in advance.
It's very very hard to find UA direct availability to TLV. You will get back the difference in miles if saver opens up. They may wanna ask you for a change fee.

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 10, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »
Will United switching to revenue based miles effect the availability of award seats or will it only effect earning miles?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1389 on: June 10, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
Will United switching to revenue based miles effect the availability of award seats or will it only effect earning miles?

Latter (technically).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 10, 2014, 03:15:04 PM »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 10, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
Meaning it shouldn't have anything to do with it, but when you're losing $600MM a quarter and you're making changes like these, other things may change as well in practice.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 10, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
They should really consider hiring some DDF'rs in their Executive board.

And hire a new CEO ASAP.

And they will stop loosing $600MM. Copying what DL does (and ignoring the good products that DL offers as Dan wrote) will not help you. Sorry Jeff.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1393 on: June 10, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »

They should really consider hiring some DDF'rs in their Executive board.

And hire a new CEO ASAP.

And they will stop loosing $600MM. Copying what DL does (and ignoring the good products that DL offers as Dan wrote) will not help you. Sorry Jeff.

+1. Flew delta economy AMS-MSP and was a GREAT flight. I would do it again
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 10, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »
If I am flying Tlv-x-x-cle
Which flights need to be ua metal to get the lower rate and does the same hold true if there is a stopover or a third x (Tlv-x-x-x-cle)?

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
United award flights
« Reply #1395 on: June 10, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »
If I am flying Tlv-x-x-cle
Which flights need to be ua metal to get the lower rate and does the same hold true if there is a stopover or a third x (Tlv-x-x-x-cle)?

The flight over the water needs to be Ua metal and the tlv-europe flight lets say needs to be one class lower
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 10, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »
It's very very hard to find UA direct availability to TLV. You will get back the difference in miles if saver opens up. They may wanna ask you for a change fee.

Thanks very much for the reply. *From* technically, though I imagine the availability is pretty much the same. :)

Quick poll: Given the choice, and using your miles (not free-boating on mine! :) ) would you take:

A. Partner Saver Economy (42.5k miles) with a sub 2h connection somewhere, total time under 15.5 hours.

B. Saver Business or mixed cabin Business+First (80k or 90k miles) with a 5 hour connection in Brussels with lounge availability, total time 18h or so. Is First across the Atlantic worth the extra 10k up each from Business?

C. Standard Non-Stop United Business (175k) and hope Saver availability opens up, total time 12h15m.

Two adults, no kids, no health reasons to push in one direction or the other.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:40:10 PM by HDS »

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 10, 2014, 05:14:46 PM »
The flight over the water needs to be Ua metal and the tlv-europe flight lets say needs to be one class lower
I have TLV-MUC LH and MUC-EWR-CLE UA and im getting 80k (not 70k)...

Offline chucksterace

• View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
« Reply #1398 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »

I have TLV-MUC LH and MUC-EWR-CLE UA and im getting 80k (not 70k)...

Is TLV-MUC also J? If the UA flights is J TLV-MUC would need to be Y

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 10, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Is TLV-MUC also J? If the UA flights is J TLV-MUC would need to be Y
all I = 80k
first X then I= 82.5k  :o :o :o