Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 935112 times)

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #3460 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »
So your score goes down. Not fatally.

That would depend on where your score was initially, your credit needs while you're carrying the high utilization etc.  Going from 810->770 isn't a big deal.  Going from 700->660 is.

Offline Cappy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
Does a chase slate balance transfer ruin your credit like not paying a credit card for 18 months?

Not paying your credit card will put you into delinquent status.

By keeping a high balance on the Slate can hurt your score because of high utilization.

The Slate typically gives low approvals, so it's best to reallocate some credit from other Chase Cards so it decreases the damage plus you'll be able to do a higher transfer onto the BT.

Offline Kabrams1618

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: November 24, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
If I downgrade by phone will I still get the bonus associated with the downgraded card or am I better off just applying online for the downgraded card and then later transfer the credit line and close the card with the annual fee.  I am looking at barclay arrival plus to barclay arrival

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: November 24, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
If I downgrade by phone will I still get the bonus associated with the downgraded card or am I better off just applying online for the downgraded card and then later transfer the credit line and close the card with the annual fee.  I am looking at barclay arrival plus to barclay arrival

By downgrading, you will not get sign up bonus of the downgraded card. You would have to apply for it as a new card. Also, the Regular Arrival, not the + is not available to apply for and I wouldn't recommend it even it were to be.

For Barclays, you have to have an offer available to downgrade. I wasn't eligible and I just closed my arrival +.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: November 24, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
Why do you say the regular arrival is not avail. to apply for? It's listed on their site

Offline PillanSmye

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »
By downgrading, you will not get sign up bonus of the downgraded card. You would have to apply for it as a new card. Also, the Regular Arrival, not the + is not available to apply for and I wouldn't recommend it even it were to be.

The standard Arrival is definitely available to apply for:  Barclay std Arrival landing page

No, you will not get the sign up bonus.

Offline Cappy

• View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
The standard Arrival is definitely available to apply for:  Barclay std Arrival landing page

No, you will not get the sign up bonus.

Weird. Barclays told me that they took it off the site about a month ago...

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #3467 on: November 25, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »
Anyway to get the airline to refund to a different cc/account? (if I tell them the original payment cc has been cancelled...)
You can get a refund to a cancelled cc.
^^^

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: November 25, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »

For Barclays, you have to have an offer available to downgrade. I wasn't eligible and I just closed my arrival +.
-.5 with the arrival you can often get a 10k bonus after $1k spend by downgrading from the arrival+

Offline D93

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: November 25, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
-.5 with the arrival you can often get a 10k bonus after $1k spend by downgrading from the arrival+

+1

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: November 30, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »
I've spent 1.5 years collecting miles and now I'm ready to try and spend them.  Is there a thread like this one in Up In The Air?

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: November 30, 2015, 05:45:04 PM »

I've spent 1.5 years collecting miles and now I'm ready to try and spend them.  Is there a thread like this one in Up In The Air?

Look. There are a million talking about all the different hotel/airline programs. You need to read up a bit and know what you'd like to do and if you have any further questions, there are many here that are happy to help.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: November 30, 2015, 05:49:26 PM »
Look. There are a million talking about all the different hotel/airline programs. You need to read up a bit and know what you'd like to do and if you have any further questions, there are many here that are happy to help.

Did you read my post?  I am 'read up a bit' and know exactly what I'd like to do and I have further questions and was asking if there was an appropriate thread in Up In The Air for beginner questions.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: November 30, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »

Did you read my post?  I am 'read up a bit' and know exactly what I'd like to do and I have further questions and was asking if there was an appropriate thread in Up In The Air for beginner questions.

I read your post saying u accumulated miles and want to use them. There are threads about everything, from searching hotels, best ways to book, looking for flights and more. You are not very specific as to what your questions are.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: November 30, 2015, 05:55:15 PM »

Were you taught to ignore everything after the first period?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: November 30, 2015, 06:01:51 PM »

Were you taught to ignore everything after the first period?

Have you even opened that board up? I have literally pointed out what threads would be helpful to you ( taking it as a given that this is referring to that board). I don't need this rude crap you feel the need let go of. You come for help and when it is given you can't appreciate it. You are able to accumulate oh so many miles and can't open a board you are aware of to look and read for yourself? Ohhhkkkaayy. Whatever.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: November 30, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »
Have you even opened that board up? I have literally pointed out what threads would be helpful to you ( taking it as a given that this is referring to that board). I don't need this rude crap you feel the need let go of. You come for help and when it is given you can't appreciate it. You are able to accumulate oh so many miles and can't open a board you are aware of to look and read for yourself? Ohhhkkkaayy. Whatever.

I have opened the Up In The Air board and looked through the first 4 pages and searched.  I did not find a thread that was obviously dedicated to general beginner questions of the Up In The Air nature. 

I asked a straight-forward question which you seem to have missed.  You launched into a speech that began with "Look."  You have a reading comprehension problem and an attitude.  Thanks anyways.  I'm sure someone will come along and understand what I'm looking for and point me in the right direction.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
I have opened the Up In The Air board and looked through the first 4 pages and searched.  I did not find a thread that was obviously dedicated to general beginner questions of the Up In The Air nature. 

I asked a straight-forward question which you seem to have missed.  You launched into a speech that began with "Look."  You have a reading comprehension problem and an attitude.  Thanks anyways.  I'm sure someone will come along and understand what I'm looking for and point me in the right direction.
Your question should really be asked here
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12138.msg1333146#msg1333146

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: November 30, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
my cousin doesn't have any credit cards yet. she wants to start building her credit. i know this has been discussed a million times, but hear me out.
i obviously told her to try and start with a Chase Freedom as she already has a Chase checking account and it will likely be easier to manage everything from the same bank. i told her that this is one of the best cards because of the points and because it's a no fee card.
she went to Chase yesterday and they told her that the Freedom card is a cashback card. it doesn't earn any points for miles, hotels, etc. i told her she must have misunderstood. she said she asked the guy twice...

am i missing something here??
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes