Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 934700 times)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #540 on: August 11, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
Why don't you just apply for Crap1? Just don't put 15,000 as income and you should get approved for at least $500.
My wife got it about a year ago and spent a little every month, and she now has 6 other cards besides that.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »
I'm getting annoyed.
Why do you say its not an option for you to add yourself as a joint? Did you even try??
Is it just because you accept the holy words of a underpaid chase rep?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline statusmiles

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis, Hertz PC, National Exec, SIXT Plat
Getting Started
« Reply #542 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »
I'm getting annoyed.
Why do you say its not an option for you to add yourself as a joint? Did you even try??

Why would you get annoyed over a young girl trying to figure out how to get a credit card

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #543 on: August 12, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »
I'm getting annoyed.

why is minimum wage underpaid....it just means paid :-D
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #544 on: August 12, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Why would you get annoyed over a young girl trying to figure out how to get a credit card
Cuz he cares. Some people are just nice like that. ( could be just the crazy ones are, but I know a few who aren't crazy and also care)

@ meshug and that's the best compliment you'll get out of me :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #545 on: August 12, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
I love you, my dear jj.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 13, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
seems like acc to dan that an au helps a lot for credit score (http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23410)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
seems like acc to dan that an au helps a lot for credit score (http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23410)
Of course it helps your score. It has been proven many times over.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 13, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
haha guys i'm wayy too innocent for this stuff... will it be a problem that my credit was checked? like that i was rejected? how long should i wait before applying again, to target or to Gap?
thank you so much

Have you tried calling the rejection letter? Try asking them to reconsider your application due to your good credit blah blah, tell them your personal income is $15k and you live at home with no expenses, tell them your parents make $100k blah blah and that you're willing to take a small credit line if they'll approve you.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Racheli

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 16, 2012, 10:23:01 AM »
I'm getting annoyed.

i"m very sorry if i'm annoying you. i understand that there is no way that i need credit to become joint account holder...i believe u but the reps (notice the plural) don't seem to agree so its just not an option for me...

better?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
speak to dan, hes the one who just posted that on dansdeals.com

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23410   (its towards the end)

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »
speak to dan, hes the one who just posted that on dansdeals.com

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23410   (its towards the end)

Posted what?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #552 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »
Posted what?
posted this " You can especially use this to your advantage by adding yourself as an AU to one of your parents cards, but that’s for another article…" what rots5 missed is that we are discussing joint account holder and Dan said an AU.Plus he didn't mention needing credit score (to the negative or positive) at all.

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 16, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
posted this " You can especially use this to your advantage by adding yourself as an AU to one of your parents cards, but that’s for another article…" what rots5 missed is that we are discussing joint account holder and Dan said an AU.Plus he didn't mention needing credit score (to the negative or positive) at all.

i see, i mixed it up, thanks jay, why wouldnt the OP just be added on as an AU

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
and again: did you even try to add yourself as a joint, and they responded that you're not approved?

Offline rots5

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
and again: did you even try to add yourself as a joint, and they responded that you're not approved?

if ur talking to me; no, i was successfully added as a joint with spg

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:19 PM »
Guys read upthread. S/he was added added as an AU and said to have tried being added as a joint user but got denied because of no credit history....

Offline glasses dude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
You could try signing up for a student card through discover, No great benefits but a good way to get in. Good Luck!

Offline Kool Deals

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 23, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
I have
Transunion: 2 pulls ( banana republic, chase) (1. week ago, 2.  6.5 months ago) its strange i thought after 6 month it would go to 1 pull
Experian:     1 pull   (neighborhood bank)  (4 months ago)
very soon i will be able to be added as an AU on a siblings card  but i want to work quick and get good credit so
i can apply for good cards and get good rewards
does it make sense to apply for a target CC and say i make $30k? or somewhere else? or its too late? and also how long should I stay as an AU before applying for a CC and to where should i apply? if its too late or should i do both? I am a bit confused and new around here sorry for all the questions i tried to research on the forums but i am still a bit unclear
I think i was denied to all the above because I have no credit history and i wrote low income
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:35:20 AM by Kool Deals »

Offline Kool Deals

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 23, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
?