Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 934220 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Which credit card approves easily?
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Depends on what state you live in.
But if you're referring to NY, BofA pulls TU.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline yankel55

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 18, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »
Good to know about BoA but since their Aeroplan transfer option is ending in Jan, I'll prob go with US Airways card from Barclays

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
Good to know about BoA but since their Aeroplan transfer option is ending in Jan, I'll prob go with US Airways card from Barclays

BOA has HA which is 35k transfer to hilton with a grand total of 140k(as AsherO said just by mistake double click the app:) )

Offline Gahus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Noob: Need Beginner Card, Points/Rewards, Build Credit, Start This Week?
« Reply #623 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
Looking to open a credit card and get rewards/points for purchases.

What's a good card to start with that won't pull my credit score (or it doesn't matter since I have no credit) too much and lose point (how does that work), so I can build my credit history?  I have a ING Debit/CD accounts.  I believe ING were just bought (partially?) by Capital One.  I don't know if I get a Capital One account when they become official. 

Located in NYC (some people were asking, so if this helps :) ).

Would it be possible to apply and approved before Black Friday this Thursday?  Even if I don't get the card in the mail, can I pay with the CC# at the cashier?  (I know it's late...)

I'm a little wary about opening up cards, cause I don't want to ruin my credit if I forget to pay.  I know that by having no credit is no good in the long run as well.  Any tips/tricks to help would be great.
I have no CC, no credit.  I ran a credit score report a while back from top 3 companies and got back empty reports.

I hope I posted in the right place, I didn't see a beginner thread.

Thanx for your time and help!

Offline CholentTheTraveler

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, United, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
Re: Noob: Need Beginner Card, Points/Rewards, Build Credit, Start This Week?
« Reply #624 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »
Firstly welcome to DDF and I would suggest spending some time just reading through all the threads and posts that are here as there is indeed a wealth of information that can benefit you greatly moving forward.

If you have no credit at the moment the best thing to do is get added to a family members account. This will "lend" you a long standing credit history(depending on how good the person you are piggy backing off is).

You can sign up to sites such as creditkarma and creditsesame as well to monitor your credit somewhat and keep track to make sure it is going in the right direction.

The easiest card which would suck in terms of rewards would be a department store card(such as Macys) which is easier to be approved for or a discover card and from there over the coming months you can build up your credit history. This will help in more ways than you know(such as mortgage rates, car loans and even potentially employment).

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #625 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
If they approve you for the higher tier HA card. The lower one gets you a 10k bonus.
They do bait n switch.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 18, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
I like how you call yourselve a noob. !no credit card provider will tell you the credit card number over the phone, so good luck with that. What you can do is have them overnight the card. Chase/amex does it free bbarclay chages $18+ (not sure exact #) what i do to remember to pay is set all my duue dates on the same day, so if it is the 5th (lets say) so when the 1st comes around i know that i need to find $ to pay.... Good luck

Offline netzih

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 19, 2012, 04:24:31 AM »
Some credit cards will give you the number as soon as you are approved (e.g. Usaa credit cards and more)

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 19, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »
Some credit cards will give you the number as soon as you are approved (e.g. Usaa credit cards and more)
Via phone?

And what's "and more"?
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »
Please inform me... Chase/wellsfarg/amex/cap1/TD/ will not

Offline netzih

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »
No when approved online it tells me the cc info so I can immediatly use it for online purchases (though only upto a certain amount)
I'm not sure about others but I heard that there were others

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
No when approved online it tells me the cc info so I can immediatly use it for online purchases (though only upto a certain amount)
I'm not sure about others but I heard that there were others
You're saying that you can see the whole cc number online?

Well, as yeki said, with most banks its not that way.

Offline Gahus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
..What you can do is have them overnight the card. Chase/amex does it free bbarclay chages $18+ (not sure exact #) what i do to remember to pay is set all my duue dates on the same day, so if it is the 5th (lets say) so when the 1st comes around i know that i need to find $ to pay.... Good luck

Thanks guys.

@Yeki89: I'm a noob, so it makes most sense to state it.

Which Chase is best to sign up for?  I see so many options when I go here: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-card-search.aspx

"0% Intro APR† See Pricing and Terms link below. for 15 months and No Annual Fee†" 
Can I cancel or downgrade it after 15 months?

I tried piggy backing on my mom's card a while back, but never made any purchase but I had a card.  Is that recorded anywhere?

What's the best way to start?  Sign up on the website, over the phone?  Any direct links would be awesome!

Also, since I'm new I don't mind starting with a few on a few different browsers (IE/FF/Chrome).  I'm tech-savy, so this shouldn't be a problem, only the technique to use.

You can sign up to sites such as creditkarma and creditsesame as well to monitor your credit somewhat and keep track to make sure it is going in the right direction.

The easiest card which would suck in terms of rewards would be a department store card(such as Macys) which is easier to be approved for or a discover card and from there over the coming months you can build up your credit history. This will help in more ways than you know(such as mortgage rates, car loans and even potentially employment).
@CholentTheTraveler: I'm employed, but I'll need a mortgage one day.  I'll check out these websites, thanks for suggesting them.

I'm wary of all these 'Department store' cards.  I feel like i don't know enough and will get suckered into paying much more than the actual product cost me.  If its easiest to get approved then *maybe* I'll try it.  Right now if I want to rack up points for Black Friday purchases (online and in store) I need a card that won't rape me.

Shkoyach!

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
@gahus
Your trying to get a cc that has a spend requirements (for a bonus amount of points),  or just a basic that'll earn you base points on your purchases?

Offline Gahus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »
@gahus
Your trying to get a cc that has a spend requirements (for a bonus amount of points),  or just a basic that'll earn you base points on your purchases?

@Saver2000: Most important is to build my credit.  If its too confusing to handle and if I miss a payment and it'll ruin my credit in the long run, the points don't matter. 

If "bonus amount of points" means what I think: points for signing up/reaching a predetermined spending level (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the card isn't too confusing to manage (APR/APY, annual fee, no interest first X months, etc.). 

I'm assuming base points are points per each purchase with no incentives to spend X amount of dollars.

I prefer the card with more points/miles options, this way i can benefit from my transactions.

Also, a CC that I can sign up tonight and get the card in the mail in a day or two.

Shkoyach!

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 19, 2012, 02:36:14 PM »
Apply for the Capital One Journey card.
Very easy approval, 1.25% cashback, no foreign transaction fee.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #636 on: November 19, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
Along with 3 credit pulls.

Personally I started by becoming an AU on a good card and getting a Gap card and within a couple months I was good to go.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gahus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 19, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

Personally I started by becoming an AU on a good card and getting a Gap card and within a couple months I was good to go.

@Dan: Can you explain the credit pulls. I think its for them to pull all your credit reports: TransUnion, Experian, Equifax. 
Am I right?  Is there a way to influence it, ie. how do I know if they're doing 3 pulls?

Apply for the Capital One Journey card.
Very easy approval, 1.25% cashback, no foreign transaction fee.

@meshugener: Do/did you have the Capital One Journey card?  What's the benefit of chashback and is there a high spending limit?

Shkoyach!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:52:33 PM by Gahus »

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 19, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »

do you think that makes a difference to him at this point?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 19, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
@Saver2000: Most important is to build my credit.  If its too confusing to handle and if I miss a payment and it'll ruin my credit in the long run, the points don't matter. 

If "bonus amount of points" means what I think: points for signing up/reaching a predetermined spending level (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the card isn't too confusing to manage (APR/APY, annual fee, no interest first X months, etc.). 

I'm assuming base points are points per each purchase with no incentives to spend X amount of dollars.

I prefer the card with more points/miles options, this way i can benefit from my transactions.

Also, a CC that I can sign up tonight and get the card in the mail in a day or two.

Shkoyach!
Okay here goes -

If you don't have any credit, you gotta start small. That means starting with a card that you don't really like/dont have any use for/doesn't earn (worthwhile) points.

An example of a card like that would be a store card. E.g. gap, target, macy's, etc.

The reason for this, is bec generally those cards are much easier to get approved for than a regular bank credit card - especially one that earns decent points.

There are regular bank cards that are relatively easy to get approved for, but they may not be your best option as far your credit report is concerned.

For example, the crap1 cc that meshugener mentioned is easy to get approved for, but they pull from all 3 credit bureaus - which is not something a beginner wants on their profile.

If your a student, you try for the citi student card. (But then again, it won't earn too much in regards to points)

Another option for building credit - which was mentioned a few times in this thread - is piggybacking.

In summary: Its not realistic to think you could build credit in a half a week, although it is possible to get approved for a starter card so you can get your black friday shopping done  :)

Hope this helps.
Good luck