Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 931945 times)

Offline Mendelssohn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #3620 on: January 26, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
My wife was approved for a Chase card with a $15K limit with only AUs reporting. It was an instant approval though, which is your only chance in this scenario. If an UW looks at it, it won't be approved.

Offline PillanSmye

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:41 PM »
My wife was approved for a Chase card with a $15K limit with only AUs reporting. It was an instant approval though, which is your only chance in this scenario. If an UW looks at it, it won't be approved.
Did she have an other previous credit history reporting, or just those AU's?

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 26, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
Did she have an other previous credit history reporting, or just those AU's?

Nothing. We started with a blank slate.

She had 4 open and 4 closed AUs reporting IIRC.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Which card ?

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: January 26, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »
Which card ?

BA 100K offer.

She was denied for a Freedom a month prior for too many new accounts (all AUs).

Offline PillanSmye

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
Nothing. We started with a blank slate.

She had 4 open and 4 closed AUs reporting IIRC.
Well, then there you go.  I guess its possible if you get an auto approval.  :)  I HUCA'd 5 times for her.  Zero debt, decent income, high scores...they weren't having any of it.  I supposed Citizenship/newness of SSN could have played a factor as well, although it was never mentioned.  Or posiibly since it was a CSP, maybe they enforce that rule more strictly than a co-brand?

Some people have snuck in under the 5/24 rules with auto approvals as well.

Offline Mendelssohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »
Well, then there you go.  I guess its possible if you get an auto approval.  :)  I HUCA'd 5 times for her.  Zero debt, decent income, high scores...they weren't having any of it.  I supposed Citizenship/newness of SSN could have played a factor as well, although it was never mentioned.

Some people have snuck in under the 5/24 rules with auto approvals as well.

My wife is a permanent resident, not citizen.

IMO it has to do with getting an instant approval.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: January 26, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »
People have had success with co-branded cards. Its CSP & freedom that's so difficult.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: January 26, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »
People have had success with co-branded cards. Its CSP & freedom that's so difficult.
That's 5/24, nothing to do with this (no personal history).
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:52 PM »
In order for a FICO score to be generated, an undisputed account has to be on your reports for a minimum of six months, and updated within six months.  My source for these links are Experian and a former FICO employee.

https://blog.smartcredit.com/2011/10/03/why-do-i-have-a-credit-report-but-no-credit-score/
http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/2012/09/26/application-declined-because-score-cant-be-calculated/

My wife got her SSN in Feb 2015.  She was an AU on $300K in my credit lines.  Her listed income is $100K.  At six months, when she could generate a FICO score (EX 750), Chase and Citi declined to give her cards.  Both stated "lack of personally responsible card history".  AMEX, BofA, Sync were no problem.  My source is me.

No backdated accounts? As long as there is six months of history, it matters when exactly you opened the AU card?
And myself, like others I know, got my first card from chase. I had zero history, but was a banking customer with them for years, and others had just AU history.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: January 26, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
That's 5/24, nothing to do with this (no personal history).
What about the au's reporting ?

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: January 26, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »
If you opened an AU in December, but that AU is backdated and shows history from 2010, there shouldn't be any 5/24 problems. (I'm not sure what you're asking, I may have missed your question.)
JTZ

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:49 PM »
isn't as strict on co-branded . The 5/24 is much more about the chase branded cards

Offline Yhgfkj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: January 26, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
relative got approved for freedom with only AUs reporting vie "recon''
it was a few years ago, and he was banking with chase
I remember the details as I made for him the recon call ,
remember rep asking if he is actually using the cards,   

Offline Avromi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »
If your friend has had AU cards reporting to the CRA's for six months minimum, he will have credit files and the ability to generate a credit score.

AMEX will approve cards with no personally liable cards reporting.  An ED, or BC or OBC revolver with a PRG tends to be a great starting combo.

Synchrony Bank has several store cards that will be obtainable for him, and these cards can be raised to very large credit limits with monthly soft pull CLI requests through the UW #.  The Sync Amazon card offers 5% cash back to Amazon Prime members for all Amazon purchases and is one of the most appealing store cards that I am aware of.  Sync also has a Walmart card and a Lowes card.  Many people can achieve $30,000 credit limits on the Walmart or Lowes cards within a year.

A Capital One QS is another card obtainable with clean, thin files.

Discover is wishy-washy about approving people with no personally liable accounts for an unsecured card.

Chase and Citi will want six months of history with personally liable unsecured cards prior to approvals for their unsecured products.

I personally would have your friend apply for the two AMEX cards, and either the Synchrony Amazon card (assuming they shop at Amazon) or CapOne card.  Then wait six or seven months.  Have themselves removed from all AU accounts, and make sure all the AU accounts are removed from the CRA's.  Then apply for a Freedom and/or CSP to beat Chase at their 5/24 rule.  From there, they can march steadily forward in credit pimpdom.

If AMEX declines, the secured card route is always a viable option.  It just ties up funds, and takes a year before the cards graduate to an unsecured status.  BofA, Citi and Discover all have secured card options that graduate.
Can you elaborate on the Amex part (ED, BC, Revolver etc.)? I'm unfamiliar with some of those terms.

He has been an authorized user on an Amex for over 5 years, will that help him get Amex approval?

I guess for the sake of clarity and brevity, what you you advise I tell him? Amex and Synchrony and CO? One of them? Which to start with?

Thanks!

Offline Avromi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: January 26, 2016, 08:01:03 PM »
-2 these are both made up
Thanks for getting involved. Can I ask what you would advise in a nutshell?

Offline Avromi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:16 PM »
I could not have elaborated any more clearly.   To apply for any Chase cards subject to the 5/24 rules.
Can someone elaborate on what the 5/24 rule is (thankfully this is for beginners so I can be annoyingly pesky for details )?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
Can someone elaborate on what the 5/24 rule is (thankfully this is for beginners so I can be annoyingly pesky for details )?
If you have or had 5 cards, any & all banks included,  in the last 24 months they won't approve a CSP or freedom.

Offline Avromi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »
If you have or had 5 cards, any & all banks included,  in the last 24 months they won't approve a CSP or freedom.
So if I have this right, they won't approve you if you don't have any primary cards, and won't approve you if you have opened more then 5 in the last 24 months?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:49 PM »
So if I have this right, they won't approve you if you don't have any primary cards, and won't approve you if you have opened more then 5 in the last 24 months?
The freedom they might without any prior cards. YMMV