Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 932302 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #4280 on: February 14, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
there is a rumor that the chase ink preferred will be offering a 100k sign up bonus soon so you might want to wait a bit before you go over 5/24
I think it's going to be targeted.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: February 14, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
Im looking to open some new credit cards because I recently past my 24 months for chase.

I've been approved over 24 months ago for the:
CSP (Still active but would like to close)
Chase freedom (Still active)
Chase BA
Chase SW Plus - personal
Chase SW Premier - personal
Citi AA
Amex SPG - personal
Amex PRG - personal
Barclays USAirways

I've been approved for - less than 24 months ago:
CSR (Still active)
Chase United Business card (Still active)
Amex everyday card (Still active)

Any suggestions of what card/cards I should open next?
Make sure you do chase cards that are affected by 5/24 before any other personal cards.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Mr. CC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: February 14, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
Make sure you do [more] chase cards that are affected by 5/24 before any other personal cards.

Offline Traveller

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: February 14, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
The ink preferred especially with a 100k Signup Bonus would be a no-brainer, especially because it doesn't count against 5/24. Any idea how soon they'll be rolling out this offer?

I'm now holding at 2/24 according to my calculation, any specific suggestions of cards to go for?

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #4284 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:56 PM »
The ink preferred especially with a 100k Signup Bonus would be a no-brainer, especially because it doesn't count against 5/24. Any idea how soon they'll be rolling out this offer?

I'm now holding at 2/24 according to my calculation, any specific suggestions of cards to go for?
chase Marriott Sapphire preferred and i would get a united card to as they have valuable perks. Or if you think a companion pass would be useful you can go for the 2 southwests.

Offline Traveller

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: February 14, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
chase Marriott Sapphire preferred and i would get a united card to as they have valuable perks. Or if you think a companion pass would be useful you can go for the 2 southwests.
Thank you!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: February 14, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
I would get the Ink Preferred first since it most likely won't count against 5/24, then get another two chase cards, wait 3-6 months and get two more, then move on to other personal cards.

Offline Willie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 06, 2017, 07:02:21 AM »
Have a flight on british airways and dont want the avios points to go to waste, what is the best way to hold onto them, if it is getting a avios card which is the best avios card with no annual fee?

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 06, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »
Have a flight on british airways and dont want the avios points to go to waste, what is the best way to hold onto them, if it is getting a avios card which is the best avios card with no annual fee?
There's Only one avios card, the ba card, which comes with a $95 AF.
Amex chase and citi have cards that earn points that can be transferred to avios.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 06, 2017, 10:19:50 PM »
There's Only one avios card, the ba card, which comes with a $95 AF.
Amex chase and citi have cards that earn points that can be transferred to avios.
Citi?

Offline hide4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: April 07, 2017, 01:13:10 AM »

Offline INTELLIGENTBLONDE

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
My annual fee for spg business just hit. Is there another card I can downgrade to? Are there any cons to closing this card like when I close a personal card? Thanks

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: April 23, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
My annual fee for spg business just hit. Is there another card I can downgrade to? Are there any cons to closing this card like when I close a personal card? Thanks
Can't downgrade, closing won't affect your CR.

Offline Moshe26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: April 24, 2017, 08:27:16 PM »
Are there any higher offers than 50k +100$ for the IHG personal? If yes can you pls share link? Thanks

Offline INTELLIGENTBLONDE

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: May 01, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »
Can't downgrade, closing won't affect your CR.

Thanks! Should I call or secure message?

Also, separate question.. when  downgrading a spg personal card.. what do u write in the secure message?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »
Thanks! Should I call or secure message?

Also, separate question.. when  downgrading a spg personal card.. what do u write in the secure message?
Call or chat, doesn't matter. Can't downgrade SPG personal either.

Offline smart man

• View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:56 PM »
Which bonus should I go for that has a 3k spend or less? I'm under 5/24. But it doesn't have to be a chase cause of 5/24 as I barely signup for cards. Thinking of the united or amex delta maybe southwest. Thoughts?

Offline BP16

• View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: June 15, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »
Which bonus should I go for that has a 3k spend or less? I'm under 5/24. But it doesn't have to be a chase cause of 5/24 as I barely signup for cards. Thinking of the united or amex delta maybe southwest. Thoughts?
United at 50k is worth the most

Offline jds

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:01 AM »
Approximately how long of an effect will shutting down a credit card with a $25K limit (approximately 20-25% of my total credit available) have on my credit score? Shutting it down to avoid fee. (It's a chase card and I'm above the 5/24 rule, so I cant open another card and transfer the CL). Or, is it worth it to just pay the $95? (I, personally, don't care about short term effects. I currently have score of apx 750).