Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 929642 times)

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Credit card for older relative with Thin credit file best way to go?
« Reply #400 on: May 04, 2012, 03:18:02 PM »
I just got off the phone with chase, the rep told me that in order for him to be added as joint account need to fill out paper forms, and that approval process for that is just like his applying for a credit card on his own.

Does she know what she is talking about? because if so i cant see what i'm gaining by going this way

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 04, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
I am new to this whole adding joint to. but i spoke to 2 reps and  1 of them told me what you mentioned, and the other rep told me that they will add it (it seemed like they automatically do it), i think meshuganer mentioned  that they only pull your credit report for address and stuff so its like a soft pull, but not confirmed.

Offline netzih

• View Profile
I am new to this whole adding joint to. but i spoke to 2 reps and  1 of them told me what you mentioned, and the other rep told me that they will add it (it seemed like they automatically do it), i think meshuganer mentioned  that they only pull your credit report for address and stuff so its like a soft pull, but not confirmed.
AFAIK they automatically add him as a AU than they send you papers to fill out to make him a joint cardholder (but I know people that would never be approved by chase for their own card be approved as joint so I don't think its like a regular credit card)

Offline lcyitz

• View Profile
Credit card for older relative with Thin credit file best way to go?
« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
AFAIK they automatically add him as a AU
True.

Offline KidOOO

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
Is there anyone here who know for sure?

Offline netzih

• View Profile
Is there anyone here who know for sure?
well that's what they did by me do if that's counted as for sure...

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Student Credit Card
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Hey anyone know a good credit card to get if your a student and not making enough for a regular credit card?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Student Credit Card
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
Hey anyone know a good credit card to get if your a student and not making enough for a regular credit card?

I know Capital One approves easily but I wouldn't do it.

Try getting a store card first and then applying for a Chase Freedom?
And have a Chase bank account.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #408 on: May 30, 2012, 04:30:12 PM »
Gap, Sears, Macys are good.

This may help among other threads http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15983.msg219999#msg219999
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 30, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
I know Capital One approves easily but I wouldn't do it.
Why not? Thats how a friend of mine started from scratch, and is doing very well with his current apps since...

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 30, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
Why not? Thats how a friend of mine started from scratch, and is doing very well with his current apps since...

You can. Capital One just isn't my favorite bank. And they do 3 hard pulls for one application.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #411 on: May 30, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
Not all of their cards.
Go for the Journey.
Report at least some income of $30+, say you have checking account, say you're employed, and you're approved.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 30, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
  Try getting a store card first and then applying for a Chase Freedom?

Thanks but are you able to get approved for a store card without any income? I was denied on the freedom because of income

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 30, 2012, 05:51:33 PM »
Gap, Sears, Macys are good.

This may help among other threads http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15983.msg219999#msg219999

Thanks, I searched student card so I didnt see the card for bachurim thread

Offline lcyitz

• View Profile
Student Credit Card
« Reply #414 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
Does that really help with recon?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 30, 2012, 06:10:20 PM »
Not all of their cards.
Go for the Journey.
Report at least some income of $30+, say you have checking account, say you're employed, and you're approved.

Which card doesn't pull all 3?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #416 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Misunderstood my deep words.
I meant not all Cap1 cards are that easy to get approved for.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Best retail card for building credit?
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2012, 12:03:47 AM »
I am trying to help someone with no credit. It's been mentioned that a retail card is the best route to build credit. What's the best retail card to get? Are any more likely to get approved for?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best retail card for building credit?
« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
depends where he shops a lot
if at target then there card is pretty good because you get the 5% back every purchase and free shipping online

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
Re: Best retail card for building credit?
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »
Try the macys card.
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!