Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 932791 times)

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: My first Credit Card??
« Reply #680 on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »
@Achas Veachas I know thanks ive read that they will call you up on it. I was wondering if I would use AP like this:
September 1st send $360
september 14th send $513
September 23rd-  send $127

t/f i spent a total of $1000 throughout the month but not on one charge. Do you think AMEX would still call someone out for that?

Also so which card(s) should i start out with? SPG? one of the Ink cards?

Offline mmermss

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 09, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
@Achas Veachas I know thanks ive read that they will call you up on it. I was wondering if I would use AP like this:
September 1st send $360
september 14th send $513
September 23rd-  send $127

t/f i spent a total of $1000 throughout the month but not on one charge. Do you think AMEX would still call someone out for that?

Also so which card(s) should i start out with? SPG? one of the Ink cards?
Its YMMV with Amex..more to the side of an F/R.

If your going to be doing alot of AP- Why not go for 2-3 Chase cards first?

Hows your score?

Do you currently have any other CC's?
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 09, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
So ive tried looking all over but the F/R abbreviation isnt on the wiki....whats F/R mean  :P

I dont have any other cards and I dont have a score I was planning on being an authorized user with my wife because she has very good score t/f eventually building my credit to let me get my own cards.

I'm a little hesitant to get more than one card because I dont fully understand how to only use AP while meeting 3 spending thresholds for the 3 cards. I thought you can only spend max $1000 on AP? How do you get multiple AP accounts if you have to put in your SSN for the account? wouldnt they pick up that 3 accounts have the same SSN?
i.e. - can you please explain how i would have 3 cards while meeting each spending threshold while only using AP?
And which chase cards would you recommend?

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
So ive tried looking all over but the F/R abbreviation isnt on the wiki....whats F/R mean  :P

I dont have any other cards and I dont have a score I was planning on being an authorized user with my wife because she has very good score t/f eventually building my credit to let me get my own cards.

I'm a little hesitant to get more than one card because I dont fully understand how to only use AP while meeting 3 spending thresholds for the 3 cards. I thought you can only spend max $1000 on AP? How do you get multiple AP accounts if you have to put in your SSN for the account? wouldnt they pick up that 3 accounts have the same SSN?
i.e. - can you please explain how i would have 3 cards while meeting each spending threshold while only using AP?
And which chase cards would you recommend?

This wiki has many important discussions you should read

This thread discusses what an F/R is.  Search there and read the wiki.

This thread disccuses all about AP.  Search there and read the wiki.

So are you currently an AU on your wifes card?
For how long?
Do you not spend any money on anything that all your CC spending will have to be done via AP?

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:42 AM »
thanks so much.

and I'm not an AU with my wife yet I just was told on this thread that being an AU of my wife (who has great credit) will get my foot in the door to eventually allow me to get my own cards.

we don't technically need credit cards yet were fine using our paychecks but I want to use the credit cards to build credit for the future t/f I want to pretty much get a credit card and not have to spend my own money I.e. AP

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 10, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
This wiki has many important discussions you should read

This thread discusses what an F/R is.  Search there and read the wiki.

This thread disccuses all about AP.  Search there and read the wiki.

So are you currently an AU on your wifes card?
For how long?
Do you not spend any money on anything that all your CC spending will have to be done via AP?

Thanks I read the links. When you said to just get chase cards would that get rid of the F/R or does every bank do that?

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 10, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
Thanks I read the links. When you said to just get chase cards would that get rid of the F/R or does every bank do that?
Chase does not have an F/R,  They whats called an A/A= Adverse Action.  You can read about it here.  AP does not trigger an A/A with Chase.

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
K great so im going to 2BM two different cards which chase cards should i apply for? I have Chase Checking btw, ive read around that having a checking account might be beneficial....
TIA

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
K great so im going to 2BM two different cards which chase cards should i apply for? I have Chase Checking btw, ive read around that having a checking account might be beneficial....
TIA

Again..sorry I'm not following it so much.

Is it for you or wife?

First you need to be an AU on her cards for a while, then you apply for cards for yourself.  Once you have good credit you can go for a freedom and SP

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
My bad:

I'm thinking of getting two starwoods ( one each for my wife and me) because i was told they approve most people if theres no hot deal going on (so that would be good for me) and another for my wife because Im reading that SPG is a great card in general.
Since I'm in Israel now for the year and i cant do the bluebird/vanilla reload card and i want to stick to trying to not actually spend money so im bound pretty much to AP right now till i get back to america in the summer.
Good idea?
Also is there any benefit to me applying through the dansdeals link then just applying?

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 12, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
My bad:

I'm thinking of getting two starwoods ( one each for my wife and me) because i was told they approve most people if theres no hot deal going on (so that would be good for me) and another for my wife because Im reading that SPG is a great card in general.
Since I'm in Israel now for the year and i cant do the bluebird/vanilla reload card and i want to stick to trying to not actually spend money so im bound pretty much to AP right now till i get back to america in the summer.
Good idea?
Also is there any benefit to me applying through the dansdeals link then just applying?
1) AP is a FR trigger. 

2) Applying through dansdeals link supports the site where you get all this valuable info from.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 12, 2013, 01:30:15 PM »
My bad:

Good idea?

If you dont have any cards currently then I would suggest you build your credit by being an AU on your wifes cards a bit.  SPG is a great card but while shes going to be getting a hard pull might as well apply for another Amex card for example the Plat or PRG.  Or go for Chase cards...SP and Freedom or United Explorer..not at same time as going for Amex

There is a benefit by applying through DD links as it supports the site thats helping you out  :)

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 12, 2013, 01:45:04 PM »
@MEIR613 - i hear that im going to get SPG in the summer when i could use it not just for AP and when SPG is offering better signup deals. Thanks

@mmermss- thanks so much for walking me through this is have a much better understanding of all this now.

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
@mmermss- thanks so much for walking me through this is have a much better understanding of all this now.
YW
GL  :)

Online Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2013, 08:44:57 PM »
Another way to start is becoming authorized user on parents' cc (one that they have low utilization). That will help u build credit very quickly, even if they don't give you the card that comes in mail...

Offline YakovT

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: credit card for beginers
« Reply #695 on: January 13, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
I finally got into chase (freedom a month ago). Tried for the amex platinum last week for the 100k but got denied. 2 questions. How long to wait for to go for another chase? And how do i get into amex? Prepaid?

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 13, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »
I finally got into chase (freedom a month ago). Tried for the amex platinum last week for the 100k but got denied. 2 questions. How long to wait for to go for another chase? And how do i get into amex? Prepaid?
Wait another 5 - 7 months. Then do a 2bm with chase and Amex.  With chase you can call recon and you should at least get one card. Hopefully for Amex too. Try to get someone whose had a cc for a long time an AU for you.

If you want to be safe skip the Amex and wait another 3 months.

Offline YakovT

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 13, 2013, 07:27:01 AM »
thanks. my credit score is 717 (freecreditreport.com) wouldn't that be high enough (for at least their lowest card) and all amex would want to see is history? 5-7 is awfully long

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 17, 2013, 03:08:40 AM »
Q- so I applied for my wife the chase SP and the chase United club 2bm and both browsers said they will get to us in about 10 days after they evaluate our case. does that generally mean they won't accept us? or if there is a. of getting accepted is there something we can do to speed up the process?

Offline lcyitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
credit card for beginers
« Reply #699 on: January 17, 2013, 03:35:50 AM »
Q- so I applied for my wife the chase SP and the chase United club 2bm and both browsers said they will get to us in about 10 days after they evaluate our case. does that generally mean they won't accept us? or if there is a. of getting accepted is there something we can do to speed up the process?
Wait, or if you don't want to wait call reconsideration and try to get approved.