Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 929340 times)

Offline meadows6

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #1320 on: October 18, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
I need some advice for applying for multiple credit cards. 

Currently have: Chase SP, AMEX Spg (just authorized user on husband's account), Wells Fargo CC  (stopped using because points redemption is horrible), and a Citi Thank You (not premium) regular card (authorized user on husband's account).

I applied for Chase SP and Chase United the same day at the end of August. They wouldn't give me both since "i had no established relationship with them" yet, so I chose the CSP.

Is it too soon to apply for 4 or 5 credit cards? And since I don't have history with that many places should I ramp up slowly? Have had the wells fargo cc for 8 years, citi for 3 years, amex for 8 years (had blue sky prior).

Really want the Chase Ink and to try for the southwest companion pass, but from reading threads it seems like I'd be better off waiting until 90 days from the last app. So looking at the AMEX Biz Gold, Club Carlson, Citi Hilton. Planning to eventually do the SPG card, but figured I would wait until next summer since we have over 120K points with them right now anyway.

Main travel goals are to get to se asia every year and possible another international flight every other year for a family of four in business or better. It seems like collecting points that can be transferred to united is my best bet since SFO is my airport.

I would love any advice.

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »
I need some advice for applying for multiple credit cards. 

Currently have: Chase SP, AMEX Spg (just authorized user on husband's account), Wells Fargo CC  (stopped using because points redemption is horrible), and a Citi Thank You (not premium) regular card (authorized user on husband's account).

I applied for Chase SP and Chase United the same day at the end of August. They wouldn't give me both since "i had no established relationship with them" yet, so I chose the CSP.

Is it too soon to apply for 4 or 5 credit cards? And since I don't have history with that many places should I ramp up slowly? Have had the wells fargo cc for 8 years, citi for 3 years, amex for 8 years (had blue sky prior).

Really want the Chase Ink and to try for the southwest companion pass, but from reading threads it seems like I'd be better off waiting until 90 days from the last app. So looking at the AMEX Biz Gold, Club Carlson, Citi Hilton. Planning to eventually do the SPG card, but figured I would wait until next summer since we have over 120K points with them right now anyway.

Main travel goals are to get to se asia every year and possible another international flight every other year for a family of four in business or better. It seems like collecting points that can be transferred to united is my best bet since SFO is my airport.

I would love any advice.
Shouldn't be too soon with any company besides Chase. It's possible to get another card, but you may as well wait until at least, the three month window with them. As far as other cards, it all depends on score. You may want to pay off balances before the cycle ends to lower utilization. It's prob too late now, but you could have called Chase recon after the first statement closed with your new SP and assuming you spent money and paid back, they may have accepted your second app (good to know for the next time)... Good luck!

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 19, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »
is that free?
Annualcreditreport.com is free. You can see report from each bureau once per year. Best idea is to stagger and see 1 report every few months. I'd start with equifax (since noone pulls them anyways) as you have not many recent apps to worry about. Creditkarma is also free, you can see Tr info once a week and they give you FAKO score. citi identity monitor is $1 for first month.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 20, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »
Just got a first credit card from wells fargo with 1000$ limit. Before that i was an Au on my dads cc for 8 months and when they pulld my expirien score it was 779. Im planing on using 10$ a month untill i build credit history and go for a major card.
How long do i have to wait for amax, chase?
I prefer a card with no forex fees for use in israel.
Tia
BUMP

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 20, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
Just got a first credit card from wells fargo with 1000$ limit. Before that i was an Au on my dads cc for 8 months and when they pulld my expirien score it was 779. Im planing on using 10$ a month untill i build credit history and go for a major card.
How long do i have to wait for amax, chase?
I prefer a card with no forex fees for use in israel.
Tia
BUMP
Sometimes when you go along as AU it counts it from date card was opened, check your credit (see my last post) to see how yours is being reported. What you think about your credit isn't what the 3 bureaus see which could explain your high score. If you still have score anywhere close to 779 you should be able to go for it...

Offline Vosizderneias

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
Recently did a 3bm with amex (spg personal, business and gold) i want to move along to a 3bm with chase how long should i wait.
Either a answer or im sure this was mentioned before just had hard time finding it on thread. Thanks

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 20, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »
Recently did a 3bm with amex (spg personal, business and gold) i want to move along to a 3bm with chase how long should i wait.
Either a answer or im sure this was mentioned before just had hard time finding it on thread. Thanks
90+ days

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 20, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »
90+ days

Why is that necessarily true? The banks are different banks, so why not just try right away for the Chase 3bm? From what I've read on other sites, the hit from a credit pull is very minimal. Also where does 90 days come from, if the hit stays on your report for 2 years?

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 20, 2013, 01:33:41 PM »
My friend has had a Wells Fargo cc for 2 years but never used it. CS is 728 but that's basically useless since there's no payment history on it, just some student loans. Odds for getting a new cc approved? Was thinking of suggesting Freedom.

Offline Vosizderneias

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 20, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

Why is that necessarily true? The banks are different banks, so why not just try right away for the Chase 3bm? From what I've read on other sites, the hit from a credit pull is very minimal. Also where does 90 days come from, if the hit stays on your report for 2 years?
i want to agree with yehuda! Any objections before i take the dive?

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 20, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »
Sometimes when you go along as AU it counts it from date card was opened, check your credit (see my last post) to see how yours is being reported. What you think about your credit isn't what the 3 bureaus see which could explain your high score. If you still have score anywhere close to 779 you should be able to go for it...
what your saying is only partly correct. Even tough i was backdated on the AU card and my cr said i had the card for 18 years chase rejected my 3bm and multipule huca only got me the same answer: not enogh credit history.
The rep told me that chase dosent look at AUs even with a high credit score and they will consider u only if u have history on a card that u were liable for.

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 20, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »
Why is that necessarily true? The banks are different banks, so why not just try right away for the Chase 3bm? From what I've read on other sites, the hit from a credit pull is very minimal. Also where does 90 days come from, if the hit stays on your report for 2 years? The 90 days is becuse allthogh the hit stays on your report for 2 years the more time goes by it becomes less meningfull. If you have 2 pulls from a year ago it wont make a difrence but if you have 3 pulls from last month it could.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:36:54 PM by shimino1 »

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 20, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »
Can someone help me out on the...
1) best use(s) of amex mr points?
2) transferable programs?
A thread that talks about thus already would also b appreciated

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
what your saying is only partly correct. Even tough i was backdated on the AU card and my cr said i had the card for 18 years chase rejected my 3bm and multipule huca only got me the same answer: not enogh credit history.
The rep told me that chase dosent look at AUs even with a high credit score and they will consider u only if u have history on a card that u were liable for.
A few Q's (sorry for my part, but it's not over yet)
Is the high score FAKO or FICO?
AFAIK Recon and Huca by a live person goes by the details, which they can see AU etc, but the original auto accept or decline should go mostly to score. Now, as you apply it counts as a credit pull (I think) and your score goes a bit lower, but shouldn't be 80 points...
Did you notice if you were speaking to the same person in multiple HUCA? (I think they try to route calls from same phone to same cs agent, therefore you may get same answer)
You should have 30 days to HUCA so take your time, but when you call talk about the good parts of credit score (never miss payment, not many pulls etc)
Good luck...

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
i want to agree with yehuda! Any objections before i take the dive?
Object... YMMV... continue...
Oh yeah, and as far as avg age of credit lines, it may matter too...

Offline shimino1

• View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: October 21, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
A few Q's (sorry for my part, but it's not over yet)
Is the high score FAKO or FICO?
AFAIK Recon and Huca by a live person goes by the details, which they can see AU etc, but the original auto accept or decline should go mostly to score. Now, as you apply it counts as a credit pull (I think) and your score goes a bit lower, but shouldn't be 80 points....
Did you notice if you were speaking to the same person in multiple HUCA? (I think they try to route calls from same phone to same cs agent, therefore you may get same answer)
You should have 30 days to HUCA so take your time, but when you call talk about the good parts of credit score (never miss payment, not many pulls etc)
Good luck...
Score of 779 is fico from EX and EQ.
I spoke to at least 4 difrent ppl with difrent names and voices and got the same replay.
I prefer not to huca more cus i dont want another pull and prefer to wait awhile and try again after building credit HISTORY.
Thanks anyway.

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:51 AM »
Can someone help me out on the...
1) best use(s) of amex mr points?
2) transferable programs?
A thread that talks about thus already would also b appreciated
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/28651?wpmp_tp=1
 http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3419.msg35882.msg#35882
Anything else? I would like to cancel my mb plat and am trying to decide what to do with points...

Offline Racer7400

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 21, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/28651?wpmp_tp=1
 http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3419.msg35882.msg#35882
Anything else? I would like to cancel my mb plat and am trying to decide what to do with points...
depends if you want short haul flights or longer flights short flights I would transfer to BA.

Offline AvrumyW

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 21, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
i got aproved for a chase card freedom!!

Offline rcarentals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz 1# Plat, Sabre, Travel Agent
« Reply #1339 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
i got aproved for a chase card freedom!!
Congrats!
Do not boast for tomorrow, Because you do not know what the day will bear.(Mishlei C27.V1)