Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 929333 times)

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #1460 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »
If one does not have a SSN yet and puts himself as a AU would that build up his credit? If yes how would they know it's me?
IINM Chase doesn't require SSN for AUs. They have their ways of knowing who you are (e.g. address).

Offline dudi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
« Reply #1461 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
IINM Chase doesn't require SSN for AUs. They have their ways of knowing who you are (e.g. address).
Tnx

Offline Barryg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 21, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
If one does not have a SSN yet and puts himself as a AU would that build up his credit? If yes how would they know it's me?
You won't have a credit score without a social, I once had a phone company check my credit in another country as I didn't have a social, and it worked, but nothing will trasfer to your social if you don't have one... (<--- IMO)

Offline Twin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 21, 2014, 01:19:10 AM »
NO IT WIULD NOT BULID YOUR CREDIT, being a au without a ss# is nothing it's just your name on the card

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »
NO IT WIULD NOT BULID YOUR CREDIT, being a au without a ss# is nothing it's just your name on the card
So basically the only way to do it is wait till I get my SSN# and then add my name as a AU?

Online zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »

Very questionable statement to be putting in all caps... Depending who you ask,  chase can (and does) report the account on your social even if you don't give it to them.  They find you based on your name and address.

Offline Twin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »
So basically the only way to do it is wait till I get my SSN# and then add my name as a AU?
correct

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 21, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Very questionable statement to be putting in all caps... Depending who you ask,  chase can (and does) report the account on your social even if you don't give it to them.  They find you based on your name and address.
he doesn't even have an ss #
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline raphy781

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 21, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
He was referring to a case where you dont have a social, not a case that you didnt give it to chase.

Offline AnonymousUser

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 22, 2014, 12:15:57 AM »
I have a bunch of personal CCs (Chase Freedom, BA, UMPE, Barclays US Airways, Lufthansa, BoA, and CapitalOne Venture), a Chase IB, and a biz SPG, both of which are for sole proprietorships. I tried several times to open more Chase CCs, personal and business, and recon told me that they don't want to give me more CL for the amount of personal and business income I reported.
I am doing consulting for a tzedakah organization which has an annual gross income of around 300k. They asked me to open a biz CC for them under my name, preferably with a CL of around 25k, to be used mainly for airline tickets and rental cars around that amount annually around Purim time.
1. Can I open another Chase card based on the organization's income even though they don't want to add CL based on my own income? What about AMEX; would I be able to pass an FR with that?
2. What would be the best cards for me to open at this point to maximize points with sign up bonuses and spending? I'm not sure if they would use the points or sell them.
TIA.

Offline dudi

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:47 AM »
He was referring to a case where you dont have a social, not a case that you didnt give it to chase.
Correct
Just forgot to mention one thing that its in the process of getting a SSN# so when do I need my SS now or when I apply for a new one?
And will it automatically go on when I get it?

Online zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 22, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »

Sorry. I should have read more carefully.

Online thejerseyguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 22, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Is there any benefit to an Amex gold over an Amex green. I have a gold and am thinking of downgrading to green.

Offline Shmulyg

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 23, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
Is there any benefit to an Amex gold over an Amex green. I have a gold and am thinking of downgrading to green.
3 points for airline purchases and 15k after spending 30k to name a few.

Offline HP58

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 23, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
Every card automatically gets 15k bonus for $30k spend?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 23, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Every card automatically gets 15k bonus for $30k spend?

He's referring to the gold rewards card.

Online thejerseyguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 23, 2014, 07:38:28 AM »

So is there any advantage to the regular gold over the green?

Offline HP58

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17:55 AM »
That's PRG?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

Offline yakov.ziki

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Which is a good card to start with.....
« Reply #1479 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
I am new to the credit card world amd I will like to know which cats would be great to start with. ....
I am not a traveler but that does not mean I am not going to fly. ..
And also I am looking for a card that rewards me well. ... Good mile rewards. ...If you have any suggestions please feel free to write.....thanks