Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 930097 times)

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: CC application advice
« Reply #1780 on: April 08, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »
You get a $200 statement credit on the Citi executive, so you'll only pay $500 in total for first year and it shouldn't make a difference if you have other Citi cards as long as you follow the 8/65 day rules.

Ok will look into that. Thanks for the advice all. Much more fun here when everyone plays nice :-)

Offline HP58

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »
Much more fun here when everyone plays nice :-)
Definitely for you ;) .

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1782 on: April 08, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »

This coming from the commenter who complained about what I wrote. Yes you clearly are smarter and know more than everyone here. I apologize for breathing your air. Now carry on with your intelligent conversation...
Acting like a jerk won't help you.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1783 on: April 08, 2014, 01:44:30 AM »

I read that. But if you have the card currently, you cant churn it. You cant churn a active card.
Someone reported IINM that they applied for 3 cards they already have with Amex and got approved for all.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 08, 2014, 01:47:51 AM »
Did anyone RTM to delete all but the first, and last few posts?
;-)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: April 08, 2014, 01:49:44 AM »
Another infopoint about the AA executive card.  Some have reported spending the 10K minimum within the first month and getting the 100K bonus on the first bill.  Then cancelling and getting a refund on the annual fee.  So adding this card to your app-o-ramma may not end up costing even the $550 mentioned above.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 08, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »

You are obviously entitled to your opinion about what I wrote. But quoting me out of context is a biased response. I wrote that after I was assaulted by someone who was annoyed that I didn't take the appropriate amount of time in his eyes to do my own research. As if he knew the answer and it was so simple, but he just didn't have the time and couldn't be bothered. Yet he then proceeded to have a completely useless and immature correspondence on this very thread, which showed me that the commenter in question was in fact just being snide and nasty on his own for no reason. So who's the jerk? I came here asking for information, some people were nice enough to respond intelligently, others like you are just looking to pick a fight.

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 08, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
Another infopoint about the AA executive card.  Some have reported spending the 10K minimum within the first month and getting the 100K bonus on the first bill.  Then cancelling and getting a refund on the annual fee.  So adding this card to your app-o-ramma may not end up costing even the $550 mentioned above.
Right I saw that. However I need this card (actually 2) for a new business that will be ongoing, so I can't cancel the cards.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:59 AM »
If your intention is not to use your legitimate spend to consistently churn new cards every few months, then consider the following.
1 - The best vpp will be SPG and UR
2 - Do you need any purchase protection for your purchases?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
CC application advice
« Reply #1789 on: April 08, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »
You are obviously entitled to your opinion about what I wrote. But quoting me out of context is a biased response. I wrote that after I was assaulted by someone who was annoyed that I didn't take the appropriate amount of time in his eyes to do my own research. As if he knew the answer and it was so simple, but he just didn't have the time and couldn't be bothered. Yet he then proceeded to have a completely useless and immature correspondence on this very thread, which showed me that the commenter in question was in fact just being snide and nasty on his own for no reason. So who's the jerk? I came here asking for information, some people were nice enough to respond intelligently, others like you are just looking to pick a fight.
I personally do not like when people open new threads because any question you have/had was probably discussed a multitude of times. Here for one being a good place to ask your question http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=266 or here http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=33101. That said, opening a thread shows a certain arrogance and attitude and people like myself and others are not willing to share information when you come with an attitude that it's coming to you and it's owed to you. Understand that you're not the only one with questions and if every person opened a new thread for every question they have, the forums would not be a fun place to hang out nor a place with useful- easily accessible information. For your own sake when called out by a respected member instead of arguing think that maybe he is right and you are wrong because arguing will just turn more people away from wanting to help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:30:21 AM by Super Speed »

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 08, 2014, 02:32:06 AM »
I personally do not like when people open new threads because any question you have/had was probably discussed a multitude of times. Here for one being a good place to ask your question http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=266. That said, opening a thread shows a certain arrogance and attitude and people like myself and others are not willing to share information when you come with an attitude that it's coming to you and it's owed to you. Understand that you're not the only one with questions and if every person opened a new thread for every question they have, the forums would not be a fun place to hang out nor a place with useful- easily accessible information. For your own sake when called out by a respected member instead of arguing think that maybe he is right and you are wrong because arguing will just turn more people away from wanting to help.
Yes, it's commenters like you that make this place so much fun to hang out in. Sorry I'm ruining your party.

All of you haters (who somehow are calling ME arrogant/attitude for asking a question, amazing) can just ignore my post and move on. You clearly are very busy people with a lot to do. Don't give me respected member garbage. I have no idea who the person who called me out is nor could I care less. I respect people who are decent and nice, not people who have more experience than I do writing on a forum but are miserable bashers.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
CC application advice
« Reply #1791 on: April 08, 2014, 02:33:44 AM »
Yes, it's commenters like you that make this place so much fun to hang out in. Sorry I'm ruining your party.

All of you haters (who somehow are calling ME arrogant/attitude for asking a question, amazing) can just ignore my post and move on. You clearly are very busy people with a lot to do. Don't give me respected member garbage. I have no idea who the person who called me out is nor could I care less. I respect people who are decent and nice, not people who have more experience than I do writing on a forum but are miserable bashers.
Im not trying to heap hate on you. Just continue doing what you're doing and you won't get far. I wrote a pretty civil post outlining what you did wrong and you don't want to hear you just want us to serve you. Sorry wrong place.

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:36 AM »
Im not trying to heap hate on you. Just continue doing what you're doing and you won't get far. I wrote a pretty civil post outlining what you did wrong and you don't want to hear you just want us to serve you. Sorry wrong place.

Honestly if when all I did wrong was pose a question, you calling me "arrogant", "come with an attitude that it's coming to you", "it's owed to you", and oh yeah, "jerk",  is your way of writing a civil post then you've just proved my point.

Dan please tell me I'm completely out of line and then I'll back down.

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 08, 2014, 02:48:47 AM »
Honestly if when all I did wrong was pose a question, you calling me "arrogant", "come with an attitude that it's coming to you", "it's owed to you", and oh yeah, "jerk",  is your way of writing a civil post then you've just proved my point.

Dan please tell me I'm completely out of line and then I'll back down.

Aw for crying out loud, stop already! Two senior members already told you off.
You're not a bad person, but you don't know the culture of the forum well enough yet. It's called a faux pas. You violated a social convention. Big deal. Live and learn. Hang around the forums and learn what kinds of posts people like and don't like, become a respected member yourself someday. Just let it go and stop talking about it.

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:59 AM »
If your intention is not to use your legitimate spend to consistently churn new cards every few months, then consider the following.
1 - The best vpp will be SPG and UR
2 - Do you need any purchase protection for your purchases?
I'm either thinking another SPG if I can get it, or the 100k Citi.
I don't need purchase protection these are for monthly business expenses. Thanks.

Offline es21729

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 08, 2014, 03:03:49 AM »
Aw for crying out loud, stop already! Two senior members already told you off.
You're not a bad person, but you don't know the culture of the forum well enough yet. It's called a faux pas. You violated a social convention. Big deal. Live and learn. Hang around the forums and learn what kinds of posts people like and don't like, become a respected member yourself someday. Just let it go and stop talking about it.
Finally someone that makes sense here :-)
Perhaps I don't know the culture here well enough. But where I come from, people (at least the nice ones) try to go the extra mile to make a newcomer feel welcome. Not start the first response to them with "oyyy" and then proceed to rip their head off. That won't earn my respect. Maybe that works for others here. And I still maintain that I could not care less how respected those individuals are in this forum. They did not act respectful to me in this instance and that's all that counts in my book.

In any case thanks for your advice and I will try to mind the proper conventions of the forum better.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:29 AM »
I think you should do an app-o-ramma if your credit can take it.  Base it on the cards you really want, the ones you want to keep.  But add in some interesting bonuses just because you can.
spg- amex, so another amex or 2
UR - Ink, united business
AA exec

Just reread your original posting, and I see that you may not be approved for more by Chase right now.  So substitute a Barclays app.
Then, after sign up bonuses revert to using Chase UR cards and SPG.

Then in another 3 months, different new cards for bonuses.
Granted, bookkeeping may be more complicated because all your expenses are not on the same website, but you can maximize your spending by getting bonuses.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:02:08 AM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1797 on: April 08, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
Good morning. So I see even though I left the arguments are still coming down. Did you figure out what you are doing yet?

Finally someone that makes sense here :-)
Perhaps I don't know the culture here well enough. But where I come from, people (at least the nice ones) try to go the extra mile to make a newcomer feel welcome. Not start the first response to them with "oyyy" and then proceed to rip their head off. That won't earn my respect. Maybe that works for others here. And I still maintain that I could not care less how respected those individuals are in this forum. They did not act respectful to me in this instance and that's all that counts in my book.

In any case thanks for your advice and I will try to mind the proper conventions of the forum better.

No one is trying to rip your head off here. We are just giving advice and knowledge. Different people take things different ways and there is no one way to say something to fit everyones needs. If something is said that you don't like the best is too ignore it. Like they say - "Sticks and stones will break my bones, But words will never harm me.". Finally, just keep in mind that the one way people can express their selfs here is by using caps which shows they are screaming.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #1798 on: April 08, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »

Show some love people.

Offline Iheartdan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card For Beginners
« Reply #1799 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
I am looking to open my first ever Amex. Which card has the best promotion and points program. TIA