Topic Wiki

If you are here reading this forum/thread, you probably have heard, seen or know someone who has been leveraging credit card points for free or very low cost travel and want to get involved. While it may be very tempting to jump right in and apply for a bunch of credit cards, it is advisable to read through the forums before doing so.

For those who have no credit history, building your credit score is strongly recommended and may even be needed before applying for any credit cards.

Step 1 - Try and get added as an Authorized User (AU) on an established credit card. This card should be kept in good standing and preferably have a low credit utilization ratio.
Some have had success with Amex to get your card backdated to the primary cardholders "member since" date. Having this done will increase your credit history to that of  the account holders first Amex card.
UPDATE Amex no longer backdates any cards. Any authorized user card will show up on the AUs report as a new account, opened on the date that the AU was added. Amex is now one of the worse choices to get added as an AU to, for credit building purposes.
Chase, Citi, Bank of America and others are more likely to show the full history of the primary cardholder on the authorized user's report than Amex is.

Additional Option - In conjunction with being added as an AU, you can  sign up for a secure credit card.
A secured credit card works almost like a debit card (you need to lay out your credit limit), but this functions as a regular credit card and will help build your credit score.

Step 2 - Once you are setup as an AU, it is best to wait a few months before applying for your first card.

Your first card should be a store credit card, which are easier to get approved for, especially with very limited credit history.
Some of the store cards people apply for are Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Kohl's, Macy's, Target etc. While these cards will not give you major signup bonuses to travel with, they do give you access to exclusive promotions and other perks when purchasing from the store.

Additional Options - The CapitalOne Journey card seems to be easier to get approved for, though understand they will pull your credit from all three agencies, while most banks only pull from one.

Discover has a student card you can apply for here. This can also be an easier option to getting approved for your first card. Their regular IT card (not student) seems to be pretty easy to get approved for with little to no credit history as well.

Step 3 - Pay your bill before your statement closes (cut off date), but leave a minimal amount remaining to be paid after your statement closes. This will help ensure that you have both a low CC utilization while establishing a good credit payment history. (This applies to new spending from this month.  Anything already 'due' should be paid in full.)

Step 4 - After using your first card for a few months, you will be ready to apply for the cards you will have read and heard so much about. Remember that getting accepted for a credit card is a combination of many factors like credit history and your credit score, but it is also dependent on the income that you claim* you make.  Income is not part of your credit report or score.

Step 5 - This is a brief synopsis of what to do when applying for credit cards. There are additional factors one should understand before applying for credit cards. DDF is a great resource and there are many people willing to answer your questions (which you should ask, albeit after attempting a search) 

*If you are under 21, you are legally only allowed to report personal income. Personal income, however, can include allowances and scholarships.
If you are over 21, you can claim any income which you have reasonable access to in order to pay back the bill, which includes the income of others in the household (spouse/parent), or anyone supporting you. Additionally, while most banks will not have you verify your income, it does happen and you should be prepared to show them. This is particularly prevalent with American Express, and is known as a Financial Review (FR).
« Last edited by S209 on September 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »

Author Topic: Credit Card For Beginners  (Read 914747 times)

Offline Emily

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
HELP!!! HOW DO U BUILD UP UR CREDIT??!!
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
I'm trying to get my first credit card and the citi turned me down because of "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report. And the consumer reporting agency serving your area has reported only a limited credit history for you." WHAT COULD I DO FOR THIS??!! I WANT MY MILES ALREADY!!!!!

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! HOW DO U BUILD UP UR CREDIT??!!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »
I'm trying to get my first credit card and the citi turned me down because of "Too few satisfactory credit references were recorded on your credit bureau report. And the consumer reporting agency serving your area has reported only a limited credit history for you." WHAT COULD I DO FOR THIS??!! I WANT MY MILES ALREADY!!!!!

First, calm down.

Second, have your mom or dad add you to their older CC accounts as a joint account holder. Only do this if they have good credit themseleves.
Add yourself to several of their accounts if possible.

Third, wait a little bit, maybe 1-2 months and then try again to apply for a new card.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
First, calm down.

Second, have your mom or dad add you to their older CC accounts as a joint account holder. Only do this if they have good credit themseleves.
Add yourself to several of their accounts if possible.

Third, wait a little bit, maybe 1-2 months and then try again to apply for a new card.

Yup do that and try to get a store card, like at Gap, to build up your credit before applying for a real credit card.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emily

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
Thanks so much for ur answers... Appreciate u taking the to answer. Here's the problem- we just tried to do that and add me as a card holder but they didn't ask for my social so WHAT'S THE POINT?!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
Thanks so much for ur answers... Appreciate u taking the to answer. Here's the problem- we just tried to do that and add me as a card holder but they didn't ask for my social so WHAT'S THE POINT?!
Ask to be an authorized user on the account.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emily

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »
we did and the lady had no problem giving me a card but it would just have my name and none of my information at all. not even social :(

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »
we did and the lady had no problem giving me a card but it would just have my name and none of my information at all. not even social :(
I think its called a responsiblity user or something like that - just tell them you want to give them your social they'll understand

Yup do that and try to get a store card, like at Gap, to build up your credit before applying for a real credit card.

Or you can get a card from citi - whatever they'll give you - and build a history with them so you'll get there faster

good luck

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »

Right because you want to be a "Joint account holder", and not an authorized user. Sometimes being an AU helps but usually you have to be a joint account holder. And like Dan said, having a store credit card is a good way to start as well.

Also make sure this is done on a personal account and not a business account.

Offline steinl321

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
credit card for beginers
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »
Which credit card is good for beginners? Babies R us didn't approve me.

Offline moe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: credit card for beginers
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
try macys

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
Gap

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »
try capital one they just approved my b-i-l after getting rejected from 10 other cc

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
I'd suggest if u have some money u don't need right now or better said u can spare for the next 18 month's then open a citi secure card i started off like that about 5 yrs ago it works amazingly within 2-3 months i was getting offers for other secure card's which i of course didn't apply for cause i didn't need it and after a couple of more months i got a pre approved capital one so i'd certainly recommend going  this way to start off credit

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
You can also get added as a joint account holder or an authorized user on a parent/siblings credit card to improve your own credit.

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
if you get a student card from a bank they'll be quicker to approve you for their regular cards afterwords, ie citi/chase

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
You can also get added as a joint account holder or an authorized user on a parent/siblings credit card to improve your own credit.
  didn't they stop that. Iow that it doesn't help for ur own score

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
if you get a student card from a bank they'll be quicker to approve you for their regular cards afterwords, ie citi/chase
its almost as hard to get approved for a student card as a regular card for someone that has no credit at all

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
  didn't they stop that. Iow that it doesn't help for ur own score
Joint account holder has always worked, but I've read that authorized used works again as well.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
Joint account holder has always worked,
just btw how do u open a joint account cc whos credit do they check ?

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
its almost as hard to get approved for a student card as a regular card for someone that has no credit at all

everyone i know did it that way no prob - could be if you have a bank account with them its easier