Author Topic: Software to lock a computers use before payment?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Software to lock a computers use before payment?
« on: November 16, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
This is the story: A client purchased a golf simulator that runs off a laptop connected to a projector. They want to charge for using it. We thought that the simulator itself would have a feature like that but it seems they don't. (They suggested to physically lock the laptop and only allow access after payment is made which a purely manual process  ::))

I've googled and googled but I can't find anything yet. Does something like this not exist? We need something that can "lock" a laptop on a software level and only allow access after payment. Similar to an arcade that will only work after inserting the token.

I reached out to a place that makes internet cafe software figuring this is the same idea except we don't want to open/close internet access, we want to open/close the golf simulator. But, they weren't very helpful.

I hope I'm coming across clearly, anyone have any suggestions?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
Re: Software to lock a computers use before payment?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
FedEx has something similar this, not sure what software they use. It doesn't kick out the user but charges for the time they are logged in.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »

When I was in yeshiva in Israel I used to use an internet cafe in beis yisroel where they had some sort of software that gave each person a username and password and you loaded it with money, and you used that username/password to log into a computer and it tracked usage, locked out if balance went to zero, etc. I think they also had one-time use cards which had a computer-generated username and password, which might be what you need.

Maybe that kind of software can help you? A quick google search shows tons of options:

https://windowsreport.com/internet-cafe-software/

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »
When I was in yeshiva in Israel I used to use an internet cafe in beis yisroel where they had some sort of software that gave each person a username and password and you loaded it with money, and you used that username/password to log into a computer and it tracked usage, locked out if balance went to zero, etc. I think they also had one-time use cards which had a computer-generated username and password, which might be what you need.

Maybe that kind of software can help you? A quick google search shows tons of options:

https://windowsreport.com/internet-cafe-software/

I reached out to a place that makes internet cafe software figuring this is the same idea except we don't want to open/close internet access, we want to open/close the golf simulator. But, they weren't very helpful.

The first entry in your link was the place that I had already asked. I'll see if any of the other 4 are helpful.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
The first entry in your link was the place that I had already asked. I'll see if any of the other 4 are helpful.
The one that I had seen did lock users out of the computer, not just internet access. When I googled there were also other articles listing many more than just those 5. I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs.

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 02:11:46 AM »

Offline jfish227

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
Based on the title it sounded like you were looking for ransomware