Author Topic: Combining an award booking with a paid leg  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Combining an award booking with a paid leg
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »
Is anyone familiar if it is possible and how to go about making a booking for an itinerary that is all on miles and adding a leg that is a paid fare so that it should all be on one itinerary (for baggage forwarding purposes etc...)

For example, lets say I want to book BA from Miami to LHR but can only find availability from NYC and no award availability from MIA to NYC on any of the partners. Can I buy a paid fare from MIA-NY and combine on the same itinerary with the NYC-LHR award booking?

Offline Traveler

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Combining an award booking with a paid leg
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »
When you check in show them your reservation for the next leg and they should allow you to check your bags all the way to that destination

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
Is anyone familiar if it is possible and how to go about making a booking for an itinerary that is all on miles and adding a leg that is a paid fare so that it should all be on one itinerary (for baggage forwarding purposes etc...)

For example, lets say I want to book BA from Miami to LHR but can only find availability from NYC and no award availability from MIA to NYC on any of the partners. Can I buy a paid fare from MIA-NY and combine on the same itinerary with the NYC-LHR award booking?

If its the same airlines (or airline alliance) it will show your whole itinerary in the system when you check in. If not, just print out both e-tickets and show it to them

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
If its the same airlines (or airline alliance) it will show your whole itinerary in the system when you check in.
Not in my experience.  I needed the printout of the onward flights the past couple times.

But with the printout there won't be any problem having your bags checked to your final destination.

Beware that in case your earlier flights are delayed you may be SOL if you don't get a caring rep with the 2nd carrier on the 2nd ticket.  Since it's a separate ticket both sides can legally say they're not responsible.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
Not in my experience.  I needed the printout of the onward flights the past couple times.

But with the printout there won't be any problem having your bags checked to your final destination.

Beware that in case your earlier flights are delayed you may be SOL if you don't get a caring rep with the 2nd carrier on the 2nd ticket.  Since it's a separate ticket both sides can legally say they're not responsible.
If the first paid leg is on AA and the award is on BA- can it be combined beforehand so there are no issues in case of delays?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
If the first paid leg is on AA and the award is on BA- can it be combined beforehand so there are no issues in case of delays?
No.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
No, not even when they are both the same airline.
Sending through the luggage probably won't be an issue.
Actually two paid tickets can't be joined together, even from the same airline.