Author Topic: AA non-refundable ticket  (Read 6015 times)

Offline dirah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
AA non-refundable ticket
« on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
I recently booked a non-refundable domestic fare with AA, for week of Dec 20-27.
I have to cancel :(

The two options I am aware of:
  • Cancel the ticket and get a credit with airline. I would have to take two hits. The first being a $150 penalty. The second, since I don’t anticipate any use for this credit under my own name, I would need to get a credit voucher that anyone could use. To do this, I would have to book a ticket in my name (cheapest I can find) that I will not use, and then get the rest as a credit voucher that anyone can use
  • Hope and pray for a schedule change between now and then.
What would you do?
[Downside of option 1 means that I lose money. Downside of option 2 is that if there are no schedule changes, I would have only about one month remaining to use the credit.]
Also, does anyone have any other creative ideas?
I actually thought I had booked a refundable ticket, my mistake, would AA have any mercy in that regard? Or, is it a waste of time to go down that track?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: AA non-refundable ticket
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
if booked not to long ago -- try telling them u just realized u booked it in opposite!! direction -- lets say u booked ATH-JFK AND SHOULD HAVE BOOKED IT JFK-ATH --- ask them to cancel so you can re-book in right order --- worked for me --had to get supervisor to approve --may take more than one call --- good luck

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
Def wait for a schedule change.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »
I would have to take two hits. The first being a $150 penalty.
I spoke with another AA rep, and she said that the ticket carried no penalty, so if I do make a change, I won't take that hit.
if booked not to long ago -- try telling them u just realized u booked it in opposite!! direction -- lets say u booked ATH-JFK AND SHOULD HAVE BOOKED IT JFK-ATH --- ask them to cancel so you can re-book in right order --- worked for me --had to get supervisor to approve --may take more than one call --- good luck
I tried this, said I booked the ticket recently and just noticed this now.
The rep told me, "Well, you've had this ticket for over a month, so I can't really do that now. But its not a big deal anyway, because you can just change your ticket without penalty."
 :(
I guess I will try again a couple more time, but I am not too hopeful...
Either way, thanks for the idea, it is something to keep up my sleeve if the future necessitates it.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »
I canceled a AA ticket within 24 hours of the booking 13 days ago. I have yet to see a refund to my CC. Is this normal? When I canceled online it didn't say anything about a refund or a charge/penalty. Am I getting screwed?

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »
I canceled a AA ticket within 24 hours of the booking 13 days ago. I have yet to see a refund to my CC. Is this normal? When I canceled online it didn't say anything about a refund or a charge/penalty. Am I getting screwed?
i had the same thing a month ago, canceled a ticket within 24 hours and they didint refund my CC, i had to call and talk to 2 reps + a maneger to get the refund.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
i had the same thing a month ago, canceled a ticket within 24 hours and they didint refund my CC, i had to call and talk to 2 reps + a maneger to get the refund.

I was told I am getting a refund from a CSR. But IME a refund has never taken so long to come through.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »
Def wait for a schedule change.
One of the flight segments changed, it departs 1 hour later than the original time, and lands 55 minutes later.
I saw on AA website that they only give a refund if change is more than 2 hours out.
Is it still worth calling for a full refund, are they flexible in this regards, are there any particular "arguments" I should present them?

This is what they have on their website:
When schedule changes are implemented by American Airlines that are unacceptable to the customer and result in a change of 61-120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a voucher for the ticket value. For schedule changes of more than 120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a refund to original form of payment.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:06:49 AM by dirah »

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
One of the flight segments changed, it departs 1 hour later than the original time, and lands 55 minutes later.
I saw on AA website that they only give a refund if change is more than 2 hours out.
Is it still worth calling for a full refund, are they flexible in this regards, are there any particular "arguments" I should present them?

This is what they have on their website:
When schedule changes are implemented by American Airlines that are unacceptable to the customer and result in a change of 61-120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a voucher for the ticket value. For schedule changes of more than 120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a refund to original form of payment.
I just called AA.
The agent insisted that since the schedule change is 60 minutes, I am not entitled to any refund or voucher.
She also insisted that a supervisor wouldn't be able to do anything, and she would not transfer me to one.
Is this a case for HUCA, or just a waste of time.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »
I just called AA.
The agent insisted that since the schedule change is 60 minutes, I am not entitled to any refund or voucher.
She also insisted that a supervisor wouldn't be able to do anything, and she would not transfer me to one.
Is this a case for HUCA, or just a waste of time.
Definitely HUCA
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
Definitely HUCA
+1.
Explain you were going in for a meeting, it was already going to be tight but now is impossible, etc.
Worked for me with changes smaller than that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
+1.
Explain you were going in for a meeting, it was already going to be tight but now is impossible, etc.
Worked for me with changes smaller than that.
Back in June, I called a couple more times, and AA reps were being difficult about it.
I wasn't in such a rush for the refund, so I decided to give it a wait.
Checked today, and there was another schedule change, involving new flight numbers, and an additional 40 minute delay, bringing the total delay to 1H 40M.
So I called in again, and rep immediately agreed to cancel the ticket, for refund to credit card - no questions asked.
Finalized in less than two minutes.

I asked for some confirmation or record for my refund to credit card request, but rep says they do not provide that.
So I just hope I get the refund to credit card as she said, and not an airline credit.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
So I called in again, and rep immediately agreed to cancel the ticket, for refund to credit card - no questions asked.
Finalized in less than two minutes.
I asked for some confirmation or record for my refund to credit card request, but rep says they do not provide that.
So I just hope I get the refund to credit card as she said, and not an airline credit.
Refund did not yet show up on credit card account.
When I check the itinerary on www.refunds.aa.com, it shows the ticket status as "RFND".
Do I just need to wait a bit more patiently, or should I contact AA to find out where the refund is?
Thanks

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:16 AM »
Refund did not yet show up on credit card account.
When I check the itinerary on www.refunds.aa.com, it shows the ticket status as "RFND".
Do I just need to wait a bit more patiently, or should I contact AA to find out where the refund is?
Thanks

AA refunds take a couple of days to post. Always.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
AA refunds take a couple of days to post. Always.
But it is two weeks. Is that normal?

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »
But it is two weeks. Is that normal?

No

Offline aj26

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
Refunds post in 3 biz days ime.
Call back

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 11:42:33 AM »
Had a minor schedule change for an upcoming trip from LAX to JFK. Called AA to switch me to a nonstop and earlier flight. Had success on the first try, and the agent upgraded my fare class to full-fare Y on the flight!

Should I stick with Y and stay in Main cabin extra for the red-eye back, or how much would it be to upgrade to J or F?

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »
Had a minor schedule change for an upcoming trip from LAX to JFK. Called AA to switch me to a nonstop and earlier flight. Had success on the first try, and the agent upgraded my fare class to full-fare Y on the flight!

Should I stick with Y and stay in Main cabin extra for the red-eye back, or how much would it be to upgrade to J or F?
5000 miles to biz

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
5000 miles to biz

Will probably do that. At 1k miles per hour, a bed may be worth it.