Author Topic: AA same day changes  (Read 2428 times)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
AA same day changes
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
officially it's only same calendar day, has anyone been able to get them to change to a flight within 24 hours but on the next calendar day?       

Offline Afight4ever

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AA same day changes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »
its 12 hours before. i have always had success.

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 04:15:07 PM »
officially it's only same calendar day, has anyone been able to get them to change to a flight within 24 hours but on the next previous calendar day?     
bump same Q

any updated info on this?

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 08:20:38 AM »
You can now make changes 24 hours in advance and it doesn't have to be the same calendar day.
Note it has to be 24 hours from the flight you're trying to change to. This has a couple of interesting implications. For example, if you were booked on a 6:00 PM flight on Saturday and want change to a 2:00 PM flight that Saturday instead, you can make that change at 2:00 PM on Friday, even though it's more than 24 hours from your initial flight time. Same thing in reverse if you want to fly later, you get less than 24 hours from your original flight. Also, if you're looking to change a second or later flight in a multi-segment itinerary the 24 hours is from the specific flight you're trying to change, not your initial check-in flight time.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »
So once again, Delta has the most restrictive elite benefits

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
So once again, Delta has the most restrictive elite benefits
One restriction AA has which can be pretty big is that you have to fly the same routing, including any intermediate stops. It's a nice trick with other airlines to book the cheaper connecting flight and use the same day standby to get the direct. You can't do that with AA. Also annoying when you just want to take an earlier flight but cant because it connects in DFW and your original connected in ORD, for example.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 08:45:15 AM »
One restriction AA has which can be pretty big is that you have to fly the same routing, including any intermediate stops. It's a nice trick with other airlines to book the cheaper connecting flight and use the same day standby to get the direct. You can't do that with AA. Also annoying when you just want to take an earlier flight but cant because it connects in DFW and your original connected in ORD, for example.
DL requires connection to be connection and direct to be direct
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:14:51 AM by moko »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
I was booked LAX-ORD-CLE on an award and upgraded via CPU. Changed to LAX-EWR-CLE on a 787 and kept the upgrade despite the route not being CPU eligible.
UA does a great job with same day changes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 09:16:00 AM »
UA does a great job with same day changes.
the best. Too bad my BOS options are AA/B6 & DL

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:20 AM »
the best. Too bad my BOS options are AA/B6 & DL
B6 is good with Mosaic, no?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 09:59:28 AM »
still deciding to focus on AA or B6. Currently DL plat (don't have enough spend for Diamond and have plat for the next few years with rollover) currently focused on AA with Plat Pro status.
I've had quite some mazel with comp upgrades on DL and on my recent AA trips it's been 100% upgrades (though I suspect it's a status match tease). Though I've done well with rucs for D1 BOS-LAX.

Offline Baglach

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 10:17:57 AM »
Mosaic same day is great. For example I book cheap lga-mia and can change to hpn-fll/pbi for free and those are always sold for a premium

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
You can now make changes 24 hours in advance and it doesn't have to be the same calendar day.
Note it has to be 24 hours from the flight you're trying to change to. This has a couple of interesting implications. For example, if you were booked on a 6:00 PM flight on Saturday and want change to a 2:00 PM flight that Saturday instead, you can make that change at 2:00 PM on Friday, even though it's more than 24 hours from your initial flight time. Same thing in reverse if you want to fly later, you get less than 24 hours from your original flight. Also, if you're looking to change a second or later flight in a multi-segment itinerary the 24 hours is from the specific flight you're trying to change, not your initial check-in flight time.
thanks for your reply.

...but the q was, can I change from a 6am flight on Monday to a 7pm flight on Sunday?

P.s. from the phone reps it sounds like it is not possible

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 08:35:34 PM »
thanks for your reply.

...but the q was, can I change from a 6am flight on Monday to a 7pm flight on Sunday?

P.s. from the phone reps it sounds like it is not possible
Yes you can, I do this all the time. The deprture time of the segment you're changing to just needs to be within 24 hours of the original segment departure time. It definitely does not need to be the same calendar day.