Author Topic: Trip Report - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Thailand  (Read 18585 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Trip Report - Tokyo, Hong Kong, Thailand
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
For base room:

2465 HKD/ do they ID? / looks to be 2300HKD+1000spg / unfamiliar with this promo

I guess I could sell a HGP suite night to book a room here and *hope* for an upgrade...
You should be able to sell a HGP suite night to cover $317 and it'll be a whole lot nicer.
Do you have SPG Plat? They were great to me as a plat.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
You should be able to sell a HGP suite night to cover $317 and it'll be a whole lot nicer.
Do you have SPG Plat? They were great to me as a plat.

What'd they upgrade you to?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
What'd they upgrade you to?
Marvellous Suite.  Was out of this world.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:10 PM »
Wow.

(No pun intended.)

I'll probably do that then...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SavingsBigtime

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
When are we getting part 3?

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
working on it, hopefully soon :)

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
Part 3 - Thailand

So apologies in advance for taking so long to write the follow up , but here it goes.

As I mentioned earlier, all the flights from HKG to Thailand, within Thailand and back to HKG were done on Thai Airways Business, purchased via UA miles (35K pp). and I enjoyed every moment of these flight. Thai airways rocks big time. From their lounges to the excellent services. Even though the flighs were short (less than 3 hours each) their business product was great, with comfortable reclining seats and full meals even on 1 hours flights. They even had a Boeing 747 on a CNX to BKK route with fully lie flat beds (that’s a 55 minute flight). Also, when our HKG to CNX flight, with a 1 hour connection in BKK, was running 15 mins late, they had a driver with a cart waiting for us right outside of our gate, who quickly ushered us to the departure gate so we don’t miss our connection.

Now Chiang Mai was indeed great. Glad I took Dan’s and others advice on the forum and we spent 4 nights there at the Le Meridien. The hotel is located right next to the night bazaar in the center of town and is about 15 min drive from airport. The hotel is modern with great rooms and a great deal as a cat 2 SPG property. We are only SPG gold members, so no suite upgrade or comp breakfast for us, but the room provided was large enough and you can get breakfast right outside of hotel in a café called “café de siam” (non-kosher).  The “amircaz lemetaiel” café is also 5 mins walk from the hotel, but not sure if they are glatt kosher. The service itself at the hotel wasn’t amazing, but for a cat 2 property one can’t really complain.

In terms of activities in Chiang Mai, there a tour place at every corner (well there are actually 5 at every corner, combined with massage parlors), and you are always better off getting one of the organized tours if you are there for the entire day, as it comes out cheaper. We didn’t do the tour but rather hired a driver. We went to the tiger kingdom as the wife insisted, and then did the elephant show and riding at Maesa elephant camp. I would highly recommend Maesa, as it is the biggest, cleanest and most organized place, and there is no reason to venture to any of the other ones who are further (our driver drove us to one of the other camps as he was getting commission from them, but they were farther, and dirtier, so I asked him to take us to Maesa). Otherwise, we got massages and did shopping at the night bazaar. I do have to say that I totally disagree with the praises the Sunday market received in previous reports. I found nothing to buy at this market as its all really just souvenirs and other crap (no knockoffs). The night bazaar has a much larger assortment of items, just don’t forget to negotiate (remember 50 to 75 % off). Getting around the city is easy, and you can probably walk to most places, otherwise you can grab a tuk-tuk for 100 baht (even 80 if you feel arguing over 50 cents). Cab to airport will be roughly 150 baht or $5.

On our way from Chaing Mai to Phuket, we spent a day in Bangkok (didn’t want to be in Thailand and not see the capital). Note that under 24 hours is just a connection, so it cost us nothing as we flew in at 11am and flew out next day at 10am. We stayed at the sukumvhit aLoft using cash & points. It’s a cat 1 property so 1,250 points and $25. It Has great reviews on TA, which I can confirm, as the property is modern, staff was pleasant and is well located, especially since we were out all day touring the city and just used the hotel to sleep. In Bangkok, we tried to see the Grand Palace, but got there at 3:30 on the dot (when they close entry) and the guard wouldn’t let us in. later we learned that you have to be covered up, so we wouldn’t be able to get in anyways as I was wearing shorts, which is not allowed, oh well. We toured other city attractions such as Siam square / mall, Patpong (which is their red light district and has a decent night market). My advice is to avoid the Ping Pong shows, as it is quite disgusting (what a waste of 1 minute of my life), but there is a bar with a Muay Thai ring that’s not that bad, although I’m not sure how real were the fights. A taxi from / to airport is roughly 400-500 baht including the toll cost.

When we got to Phuket, we really just wanted to relax and take it easy before coming back to NY, so we decided to stay at a quiet resort instead of in the main happening area of Patong. We booked the Radisson Blu Cape Panwa resort for 4 nights using our Club Carlson points. We both have their credit card, so got the rooms for 50% off by booking 2 night on my name and 2 nights on my wife’s. Being a gold member, they upgraded us to the Radisson Suite with no charge, from where we further upgraded to the Ocean View Pool Villa for additional 2,000 baht a night. So overall, we spent 88K Club Carlson points and $260 for 4 nights in a pool villa during peak season (needless to say I was very happy with this). The resort is very nice and relaxing, the staff was great, but it is a hike to main attractions. The hotel does offer 2 daily shuttles to Phuket Town (nothing to do there in my opinion), and to Central Festival (nice mall, but pricey), otherwise, a taxi to Patong will run you about 800 baht.

In terms of activities in Phuket, we just mostly soaked up the sun and spent one night in Patong, where we went to see the Simon Cabaret show and walked around the Bangla road area, which is the main night life district in Phuket. Note that food and transportation in Phuket is much more expensive than in Chaing Mai and probably even more than in Bangkok. Taxi between airport and cape panwa was about 700-800 baht.

As we flew back to HKG, we were supposed to spend the night in Macau before our scheduled departure the next day to NYC. Unfortunately, due to weather disruptions in NY, our direct business/first flight on UA was cancelled which we found out when we got to the airport in HKG. United in their kindness automatically rebooked us on a 2 connection flight in economy 2 days after our original departure, which would be hilarious if it didn’t happen to me. Lucky for us, I was able to look up other alternatives not offered by United and found a flight on Singapore airlines leaving that night. After a bit of a hassle, when I had to run between the United and Singapore desks at HKG I convinced them to book us on the earlier flight and we decided to cut our trip short by one night and visit Macau next time. During this process I completely lost faith in United and will only fly them if I have to, but at least we got to experience Singapore airlines, which was just superb.

Hope a fellow traveler / DDFer can benefit from our experience, and please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
Now Chiang Mai was indeed great. Glad I took Dan’s and others advice on the forum and we spent 4 nights there at the Le Meridien. The hotel is located right next to the night bazaar in the center of town and is about 15 min drive from airport. The hotel is modern with great rooms and a great deal as a cat 2 SPG property. We are only SPG gold members, so no suite upgrade or comp breakfast for us, but the room provided was large enough and you can get breakfast right outside of hotel in a café called “café de siam” (non-kosher).  The “amircaz lemetaiel” café is also 5 mins walk from the hotel, but not sure if they are glatt kosher. The service itself at the hotel wasn’t amazing, but for a cat 2 property one can’t really complain.

In terms of activities in Chiang Mai, there a tour place at every corner (well there are actually 5 at every corner, combined with massage parlors), and you are always better off getting one of the organized tours if you are there for the entire day, as it comes out cheaper. We didn’t do the tour but rather hired a driver. We went to the tiger kingdom as the wife insisted, and then did the elephant show and riding at Maesa elephant camp. I would highly recommend Maesa, as it is the biggest, cleanest and most organized place, and there is no reason to venture to any of the other ones who are further (our driver drove us to one of the other camps as he was getting commission from them, but they were farther, and dirtier, so I asked him to take us to Maesa). Otherwise, we got massages and did shopping at the night bazaar. I do have to say that I totally disagree with the praises the Sunday market received in previous reports. I found nothing to buy at this market as its all really just souvenirs and other crap (no knockoffs). The night bazaar has a much larger assortment of items, just don’t forget to negotiate (remember 50 to 75 % off). Getting around the city is easy, and you can probably walk to most places, otherwise you can grab a tuk-tuk for 100 baht (even 80 if you feel arguing over 50 cents). Cab to airport will be roughly 150 baht or $5.

Thanks for the write-up!

Were you just hoping to get upgraded at the LM, or did you ask to be upgraded and were denied?

Aside from a day the tiger kingdom and elephant camp, what else did you occupy your 4 days with?

How much was Maesa elephant camp?

Also, interestingly enough, there are 4 elephant camps ranked before Maesa TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293917-Activities-Chiang_Mai.html -- why'd you choose Maesa?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the write-up!

Were you just hoping to get upgraded at the LM, or did you ask to be upgraded and were denied?

Aside from a day the tiger kingdom and elephant camp, what else did you occupy your 4 days with?

How much was Maesa elephant camp?

Also, interestingly enough, there are 4 elephant camps ranked before Maesa TripAdvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293917-Activities-Chiang_Mai.html -- why'd you choose Maesa?
Yes, i asked them if there was availability for a suite but was told that none was available. We were there during the flower festival weekend, and the hotel was very busy. and if i recall correctly, 2 of the 4 night were sold out. I didn't feel like arguing or switching rooms in the middle.

In terms of how we occupied our time, we were there for 4 nights, but got their late so truly we only spent 3 full days there. we got lots of massages (wife loves them), walking around the night market, laying out, sunday market (which i didn't like at all). biggest mistake i made was deciding to get a suit there. all those fittings were time consuming and the suit, well dont even get me started (but i'm very picky about suits). I learned a lesson tho, never again will i try to make a suit on a vacation :).

As to the elephant camp, those other camps are the ones where you have to spend the whole days there and take care of the elephants. i guess it depends what you are looking for, but we just really wanted a shorter / touristy experience. Plus, i dont think those other camps have the seats on the elephants for riding. so its 2 completely different activities. plus Maesa was recommended on this forum in the Thaliand thread, and i can confirm that out of the ones that offer the show and riding it was the nicest. We saw the show, which was 200 baht each, and than a 30 min ride for 2 (which was about 15 min too much for us)and was another 800 baht total. so all in all $40.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
Great, thanks for the info.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
Great TR.
Thoughts.

-I negotiated tuk-tuks as low as 20 baht. Just depends how much negotiating you want to do :D
-Never ask a tuk-tuk or taxi where to go as they all will take you to commission joints. Always tell them beforehand exactly where you want to go or else you may be in for a world of misery.
-50-75% off the market isn't enough. You can get 90% off asking price if you try hard enough.
-Doesn't sound like BKK was worthwhile.
-You can make a suit on vacation, just do it in a place like HKG or PVG where they know what they're doing ;)
-UA wouldn't book you on Singapore for the next night?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
Great TR.
Thoughts.

-I negotiated tuk-tuks as low as 20 baht. Just depends how much negotiating you want to do :D
-Never ask a tuk-tuk or taxi where to go as they all will take you to commission joints. Always tell them beforehand exactly where you want to go or else you may be in for a world of misery.
-50-75% off the market isn't enough. You can get 90% off asking price if you try hard enough.
-Doesn't sound like BKK was worthwhile.
-You can make a suit on vacation, just do it in a place like HKG or PVG where they know what they're doing ;)
-UA wouldn't book you on Singapore for the next night?

- 20 bahts? wow that sounds really low (but i guess if anyone could, it would be you :)). was that for one of those shared red vans? because the one time i had decided to negotiate (was just curious how low i can bring them down to) i had to ask 5 different drivers until 1 agreed to go for an 80 baht fare, and i just gave him the extra 20 as a tip anyways because i felt bad.
- I agree here, i always gave tuk-tuks and taxi's a specific destination.
- again, you probably could, but everything is so cheap that i felt guilty. i would usually try to buy from the sellers that seemed more "honest" and nice to me, not the ones that looked or acted like complete shaisters. plus paying a dollar or two more was insignificant to me, but for that person it was more significant, so i didn't care. but i agree, you could negotiate more, but if you go down 50-75% you are probably not getting screwed (depends on which item of course).
- we enjoyed BKK, but mainly because in my reasoning i figured if i came all the way to thailind, might as well see the capital. but yes, just another asian big city...
- true, my preference was to make it in HKG, but i was only there for 2.5 days really, and thought i wouldn't have enough time. plus its just a hassle, especially if you are trying to relax on vaca.
- well they didn't want to book us on Singapore at all, as they preferred we fly with UA, with 2 connections in economy. plus flying the next night was no good for us, as we both had to be at work on Monday. our original flight was on sunday at 11:30am with 2pm arrival in NYC. taking the Singapore flight on Sunday night will bring us to NY on Monday morning around 8am.

in retrospect, there are few things i would do differently, but hey, you live and you learn right?