Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 226788 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
And pay the 10% cash advance fee? Are you offering to sponsor? 😅

this is turning out to an endless  conversation!-- when your  ready to go - ask then

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
And pay the 10% cash advance fee? Are you offering to sponsor? 😅
That was two different things
A) use cc
B) take out cash with debit obviously

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
On that note
am i not understanding you or are you saying you took a cash advance with your CC? paying ridiculous fees?
Bump

Offline Wafflemuffins

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
That's what I thought you were referring to by saying "take out money with cc."

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
How much do you spend in one day? Bring cash with you for 24 hours.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #405 on: July 02, 2015, 11:57:21 PM »
 I'm right now in Greece, going all over the country...

I'm not sure why are you guys going crazy about the cash thing, most big expenses like hotels and rental cars are payed by CC anyway. The Kosher restaurants take CC as well as some of the guys stations and all the big chain stores. So you might need a few euros to buy Bottles of water and to pay for different activities but yes for 24 hours and especially in Athens I don't think it's crazy at all (you never carry 100$ with you?).

Btw something interesting, I was yesterday in a certain Mid-size city and I was told that as of now they were only able to  take out 50€ Because they ran out of 20€ bills....  :-[

On another note, I'm going around with my Yarmulka and Tzitzis and didn't meet any type of anti Semitism or anything like that. to the contrary, most people are very relaxed and nice and many of them told me "Greek and Jewish people is one"...

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #406 on: July 03, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »
Waiting for a trip report.
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
the Greeks probably have 'more" cash at home then most on dans have in the bank  -- where do you think the 40 billion that was withdrawn from banks went --hint -- where one sleeps   lol!

So instead of checking off "rob a bank" on my bucket list, I should probably just go rob some homes in Greece?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 03, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
So instead of checking off "rob a bank" on my bucket list, I should probably just go rob some homes in Greece?
Definitely better than robbing a bank in Greece!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 03, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »

The Greeks have this habit of keeping cash around  even b4 the current situation -- not unusual to be standing in a bank line and someone in front you of pulls out a big wad of cash -- people have 100 bills in pocket all the time ( most people do not have a credit card) ---  always hear on TV  of an old person who was robbed  or a business person and they say 50k -100k etc was stolen -- I can never understand why want to have so much cash  --last week an old person took 150k out of the bank and he was robbed at home -he thought it would be safer than in the bank 

do not misunderstand--- Greece is a very safe country , and that is why when a home is robbed it makes it to the TV -- in the states many murders never make the news 

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
$10 AIR FARES IN GREECE

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/flights-from-e4-99-within-greece-and-30-off-tofrom-greece-with-ryanair/

ALSO Citi sent me and others this

For our customers traveling in Greece
We're actively monitoring the situation in Greece. We want to let you know that we're here for you and understand you may be facing special circumstances when using your credit card.

We have a team to help you
Our customer service representatives are available for your questions or concerns. You can contact them 24/7 by calling the number on the back of your Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve card-- ASSUME ALL CITI CARDS . From 6/28/15 until 7/7/15, UP DATED WITH LATER DATE we can help you with these services and solutions while you are in Greece:

If you need to get cash using your credit card while in Greece, we'll refund those cash advance fees and interest charged by Citi.

If you need additional purchasing power to continue making purchases with your card, just call us and we may be able to give you a credit line increase.*

If you make purchases using your credit card while in Greece, we'll refund those foreign transaction fees and interest charged by us.

Citi is on your side before, during and after your travel

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »

ALSO Citi sent me and others this

For our customers traveling in Greece
We're actively monitoring the situation in Greece. We want to let you know that we're here for you and understand you may be facing special circumstances when using your credit card.

If you need to get cash using your credit card while in Greece, we'll refund those cash advance fees and interest charged by Citi.

ms opportunity?

Offline Einstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »
I'm right now in Greece, going all over the country...

I'm not sure why are you guys going crazy about the cash thing, most big expenses like hotels and rental cars are payed by CC anyway. The Kosher restaurants take CC as well as some of the guys stations and all the big chain stores. So you might need a few euros to buy Bottles of water and to pay for different activities but yes for 24 hours and especially in Athens I don't think it's crazy at all (you never carry 100$ with you?).

Btw something interesting, I was yesterday in a certain Mid-size city and I was told that as of now they were only able to  take out 50€ Because they ran out of 20€ bills....  :-[

On another note, I'm going around with my Yarmulka and Tzitzis and didn't meet any type of anti Semitism or anything like that. to the contrary, most people are very relaxed and nice and many of them told me "Greek and Jewish people is one"...
Very nice to hear, I have a trip planned very soon, and was nervous
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »
ms opportunity?
Cash advances aren't purchases

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Cash advances aren't purchases
+10

Wish they were-in this case!!

Offline David1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2015, 11:26:02 PM »
I am going to athens in a couple of weeks, i plan on visiting Parthenon, Acropolis, The Ancient Agora Anafiotika, Mount Lycabettus etc... Should i book a tour or is it better to go on my own. If so which tour is recommended. any help would be appreciated.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #416 on: August 23, 2015, 11:36:17 AM »
I am going to athens in a couple of weeks, i plan on visiting Parthenon, Acropolis, The Ancient Agora Anafiotika, Mount Lycabettus etc... Should i book a tour or is it better to go on my own. If so which tour is recommended. any help would be appreciated.

i would recommend a tour to give it some context

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:55 PM »
Hello All,

I am going to Greece for 6 days. I was thinking of Shabbos in Athens and was wondering which hotel is the best one that is nice and close to chabad? The close ones do not seem to be part of a chain brand (Hilton/Hyaat/SPG/etc).

Monday - see athens
Monday night - boat to santorini or flight (monday night sleep on boat or hotel)
Tuesday - Santorini
Wednesday - fly to rhodes two days
friday fly to athens
maybe Thessalonika for Sunday
fly to barcelona on Monday

In Santorini I was thinking about SPG Vedema. For Rhodes - any suggestions? For Thessalonika - there is the SPG there. Would love to do Hyaat or Hilton or Whyndam or UR hotels as well. I will need to use the Hyaat before they die in either Athens or Barcelona/Spain.

Also, can I get food for the week from the kosher store? Maybe a quick stop for dinner and then pick up food and on to the boat/airport for the islands?

TIA!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:25:21 PM by raccah »

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
They have a list on their site I believe of close accommodations. The spg isn't to far though as I very nice. They can provide food for the week

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 24, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
Hello All,

I am going to Greece for 6 days. I was thinking of Shabbos in Athens and was wondering which hotel is the best one that is nice and close to chabad? The close ones do not seem to be part of a chain brand (Hilton/Hyaat/SPG/etc).

Monday - see athens
Monday night - boat to santorini or flight (monday night sleep on boat or hotel)
Tuesday - Santorini
Wednesday - fly to rhodes two days
friday fly to athens
maybe Thessalonika for Sunday
fly to barcelona on Monday

In Santorini I was thinking about SPG Vedema. For Rhodes - any suggestions? For Thessalonika - there is the SPG there. Would love to do Hyaat or Hilton or Whyndam or UR hotels as well. I will need to use the Hyaat before they die in either Athens or Barcelona/Spain.

Also, can I get food for the week from the kosher store? Maybe a quick stop for dinner and then pick up food and on to the boat/airport for the islands?

TIA!
I stayed in hotel Cecil for shabos in Athens. It's on Chabads website. It's a bit dumpy but they're really nice and accommodating for shabos plus it's a 3 minute walk from Chabad. In Rhodes there's a nice sheraton for 10k spg