Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 226856 times)

Offline raccah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 24, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »
Thanks guys - I saw the list, the A hotel looks like the best compromise between price and quality. I was hoping for folks with experience in these places. Cecil is not my cup of tea, there are clearly super expensive ones, like Grand Britain - but that is NOT the point of this forum :-)

So, if there are no other ideas around hotels close to Chabad, maybe we skip Athens for Shabbos and go with Thessalonika for Shabbat - @jm1428 you spent shabbos in Thessalonika - did u like it more than Athens for Shabbos??

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Thanks guys - I saw the list, the A hotel looks like the best compromise between price and quality. I was hoping for folks with experience in these places. Cecil is not my cup of tea, there are clearly super expensive ones, like Grand Britain - but that is NOT the point of this forum :-)

So, if there are no other ideas around hotels close to Chabad, maybe we skip Athens for Shabbos and go with Thessalonika for Shabbat - @jm1428 you spent shabbos in Thessalonika - did u like it more than Athens for Shabbos??
I spent shabos in both. I enjoyed both very much. I stayed in the met hotel in Thessalonika. Very new modern hotel about 20 min frm chabad

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:16 AM »
The King George in Athens is a nice place for shabos but it will run you 25k Spg iirc

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:59 AM »
The King George in Athens is a nice place for shabos but it will run you 25k Spg iirc

Thanks but the King George does not look close to Chabad. Hoping to use Hyaat for the rest of the days or ritz/Marriot - when not for shabbos. Really right now looking for the best hotel, with points or reasonable price for quality for a hotel close to chabad at either Thessalonika or Athens. TIA

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 25, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
Thanks but the King George does not look close to Chabad. Hoping to use Hyaat for the rest of the days or ritz/Marriot - when not for shabbos. Really right now looking for the best hotel, with points or reasonable price for quality for a hotel close to chabad at either Thessalonika or Athens. TIA
The King George is really not too far. About 15-20 min and very easy directions. Don't recall exactly which ones but Thessalonika has a bunch of decent hotels right near Chabad. Also Thessalonika Chabad has very nice walking areas along the water near Chabad which is good for shabos (as opposed to Athens where the closest things are changing of the guards and monistiraki sq, neither of which are very Shabbos'dik)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 25, 2015, 04:48:21 AM »

I have been to Thessaloniki and Athens. Athens was in my top 5 shabbos experiences anywhere. Not worth it to miss it over a 15 minute walk to a beautiful hotel. Its not a bad walk. I personally made a mistake of booking a Hilton around 35 minute walk away. Wasn't ideal but still loved it

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Hello All,

I am going to Greece for 6 days. I was thinking of Shabbos in Athens and was wondering which hotel is the best one that is nice and close to chabad? The close ones do not seem to be part of a chain brand (Hilton/Hyaat/SPG/etc).

Monday - see athens
Monday night - boat to santorini or flight (monday night sleep on boat or hotel)
Tuesday - Santorini
Wednesday - fly to rhodes two days
friday fly to athens
maybe Thessalonika for Sunday
fly to barcelona on Monday

In Santorini I was thinking about SPG Vedema. For Rhodes - any suggestions? For Thessalonika - there is the SPG there. Would love to do Hyaat or Hilton or Whyndam or UR hotels as well. I will need to use the Hyaat before they die in either Athens or Barcelona/Spain.

Also, can I get food for the week from the kosher store? Maybe a quick stop for dinner and then pick up food and on to the boat/airport for the islands?

TIA!

SPG G.B IS THE BEST HOTEL IN GREECE  AND 15 MINUTE WALK TO C-- HAVE NOT STAYED BUT SINCE I LIVE IN ATHENS - GO REGULARLY FOR A DRINK OR AFTERNOON  NOON TEA 

SPG Vedema ALSO GREAT -- STAYED 10 DAY AND LOVED IT

CAN NOT USE HYATT IN ATHENS -- ONLY ONE  HYATT HOTEL IN GREECE AND HEARD IT IS VERY NICE

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 25, 2015, 11:16:18 AM »
SPG G.B IS THE BEST HOTEL IN GREECE  AND 15 MINUTE WALK TO C-- HAVE NOT STAYED BUT SINCE I LIVE IN ATHENS - GO REGULARLY FOR A DRINK OR AFTERNOON  NOON TEA 

SPG Vedema ALSO GREAT -- STAYED 10 DAY AND LOVED IT

CAN NOT USE HYATT IN ATHENS -- ONLY ONE  HYATT HOTEL IN GREECE AND HEARD IT IS VERY NICE

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 25, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 25, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
Thanks guys!!! Really appreciate the help. Booked the GB (Hotel Grande Bretagne) - ONLY 12K a night - CRAZY! The KG is also only 12K a night - for a level 5! The GB is far better according to all the posts on TA. Finally, very interesting fact that UR hotels are a TOTAL dud in Greece and Spain - other than the Hyaat in Thessalonika.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 25, 2015, 03:57:01 PM »
Thanks guys!!! Really appreciate the help. Booked the GB (Hotel Grande Bretagne) - ONLY 12K a night - CRAZY! The KG is also only 12K a night - for a level 5! The GB is far better according to all the posts on TA. Finally, very interesting fact that UR hotels are a TOTAL dud in Greece and Spain - other than the Hyaat in Thessalonika.

GB at 12K - great deal

do not understand why you say UR hotels are a dude in Greece? - UR points are like paying $ for a hotel

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 25, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
Really? You think UR hotels are all crap because of how they are so heavily devalued (meaning 80K for a night at the Ritz)? Hyatt is not like that - they are as close to SPG as there is actually. And the Ritz Carlton miles + vacation are great too if you got in on two Ritz cards. Anyway, just saying UR totally dropped the ball in Spain and Greece - which SUCKS!

I have two nights of Hyaat which will die unless I find a way to ue them in Europe - and so far I am at a loss, unless I go to Thessalonika.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 25, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Really? You think UR hotels are all crap because of how they are so heavily devalued (meaning 80K for a night at the Ritz)? Hyatt is not like that - they are as close to SPG as there is actually. And the Ritz Carlton miles + vacation are great too if you got in on two Ritz cards. Anyway, just saying UR totally dropped the ball in Spain and Greece - which SUCKS!

I have two nights of Hyaat which will die unless I find a way to ue them in Europe - and so far I am at a loss, unless I go to Thessalonika.

"You think UR hotels are all crap because of how they are so heavily devalued (meaning 80K for a night at the Ritz)"-- I truly lost you???? who said UR points are crap????--they great ---- "EVEN" FOR HOTELS - maybe not high end 5 star but many times it will take less points to use ur than Hilton, Marriott etc -- depending on time of reservation and cost in dollars for the room

PLEASE share how you got GB 12k? price is 16k

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
I think I misunderstood what you said - "do not understand why you say UR hotels are a dude in Greece? - UR points are like paying $ for a hotel" - I thought you meant to say that UR points for a hotel is a waste of points. I guess I misunderstood you.

I have no idea, for me it comes up as 12K points

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 25, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
I think I misunderstood what you said - "do not understand why you say UR hotels are a dude in Greece? - UR points are like paying $ for a hotel" - I thought you meant to say that UR points for a hotel is a waste of points. I guess I misunderstood you.

I have no idea, for me it comes up as 12K points

Just be sure u have a confirmation at the hotel you think you have for 12k -this is a 4 1/2 star hotel so 12k or 16k -excellent price

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 25, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »

I stayed in the Hyatt in Thessaloniki. Got the biggest suite they had and was one of the greatest Hyatt stays I ever had.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 25, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
I think they still pick up to and from the  airport free plus  other free transportation around the city

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
I stayed in the Hyatt in Thessaloniki. Got the biggest suite they had and was one of the greatest Hyatt stays I ever had.

@Emkay - did Thessaloniki have kosher food to buy? If I stay at the Hyatt - how far was it to chabad - I think u said 25 min - correct? Maybe go there for shabbos, spend my Hyatt certs, and get kosher food in Thessaloniki - does they have a store? TIA

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
@Emkay - did Thessaloniki have kosher food to buy? If I stay at the Hyatt - how far was it to chabad - I think u said 25 min - correct? Maybe go there for shabbos, spend my Hyatt certs, and get kosher food in Thessaloniki - does they have a store? TIA
Chabad of Thessaloniki has a kosher restaurant but it's not really much. You can def stock up on schnitzel or something there though.

Offline raccah

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Can you get cold cuts, cheese, challah and wine? That is all I would need for a shabbos?