Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 227162 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »

My baby is 8 months KaH.
After looking around a little I think I would like to do 1 day in Athens to tour and the rest on the islands to relax. Maybe a boat ride to get from island to island. What do you think? Also how should I get from Athens to the islands, fly/train?
Any other tips for our Greece trip would be appreciated. We have 2.5 weeks to spend there.
Tia

Spend shabbos in Athens if you can work it out with your child.
You can't take a train to the islands. Especially if you are on a budget you should definitely consider taking an overnight ferry to the islands. That way you don't waste any vacation time (which you have plenty of so shouldn't he an issue) and that saves you on the cost of a hotel room.
Don't go island hopping, most are the same style, pick 2 plus the mainland and stick with that.

Offline Zevi16

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 20, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »

Spend shabbos in Athens if you can work it out with your child.
You can't take a train to the islands. Especially if you are on a budget you should definitely consider taking an overnight ferry to the islands. That way you don't waste any vacation time (which you have plenty of so shouldn't he an issue) and that saves you on the cost of a hotel room.
Don't go island hopping, most are the same style, pick 2 plus the mainland and stick with that.
Mainland being Athens etc? What  other cities are a must see if I'm there. We dont like museums.

Offline tmendy226

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #522 on: July 25, 2016, 03:16:44 AM »
There's a new Chabad that just opened up in Crete (apparently he'll take care of the other islands too)

you can reach him at: chabadcrete@gmail.com or PM me for his #

Offline MANDMMOM

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
Has anyone been to Santorini in the winter, like end February/beginning March? Its the only time I can go and I'm wondering if it will be too cold there to enjoy it? Also will all attractions be closed? I don't need many attractions since I want a more relaxing Honeymoon, but still want to be able to fill a 4 day stay there.
TIA

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Has anyone been to Santorini in the winter, like end February/beginning March? Its the only time I can go and I'm wondering if it will be too cold there to enjoy it? Also will all attractions be closed? I don't need many attractions since I want a more relaxing Honeymoon, but still want to be able to fill a 4 day stay there.
TIA

It'll be 50/60 degrees

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »
Any suggestions for hotels in Santorini? Doesn't need to be points (but not more than $350-$400/night. Looking for private pool and view of the sea.

Also need to book a hotel that's in a good location in Athens. Thinking about the New Hotel (SPG) but open to suggestions.

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #526 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Any suggestions for hotels in Santorini? Doesn't need to be points (but not more than $350-$400/night. Looking for private pool and view of the sea.

Also need to book a hotel that's in a good location in Athens. Thinking about the New Hotel (SPG) but open to suggestions.

I didn't make it to Santorini but I stayed at the Boutique Athens AirBnb in Athens for Shabbat. It was close to the chabad which was the main draw. The streets there are all very small and narrow and navigating is very tough without a map

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 08, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

Not in Santorini but check out Westin Costa Navarino, never been there though.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »

Not Santorini but check Domes of Elounda (Marriott 45K) in Crete. Looks beautiful and every room either has private pool or jacuzzi.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 08, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
Not in Santorini but check out Westin Costa Navarino, never been there though.
Not Santorini but check Domes of Elounda (Marriott 45K) in Crete. Looks beautiful and every room either has private pool or jacuzzi.
But I'm going to Santorini...

Offline Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
SPG has some nice ones....they all overlook the beach if i recall correctly, dont really know much about private pools
If you think nobody cares about you... just forget to pay your credit card bill

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 09, 2017, 06:03:05 AM »

best hotel in  Athens Hotel Grande Bretagne, - great hotel with great location

as far as Santorini only stayed at Starwood Vendema - excellent! - has nice swimming pool by breakfast area  and it was never crowded - but if want beach it will  requires shuttle that hotel offers - only place in Greece I stayed at that had private pool was in Creta also very nice-- but Vendema gets u santorini  without private

stayed Venedma 3-4 years ago- stayed creta 2-3 years ago

Maybe thiss will help you

https://www.santorini.com/hotels/outdoorjacuzzihotels.htm
pool

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 09, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
I figured once we started listing other places...  ;D

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »

Thinking about the New Hotel (SPG) but open to suggestions.
Just mentioning that its going down one category soon if you plan to book with points.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 09, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
Just mentioning that its going down one category soon if you plan to book with points.
Thanks!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »
Thinking about making a reservation here: http://www.voreinasuites.gr/

Friend of mine stayed here and said it was incredible. Would book one of the superior suites with a private pool.

Pros: Apparently on a remote part of the island, full kitchen for heating up POM meals, free breakfast, free airport pickup.

Cons: Doesn't seem like the hotel is right on the water so the views seem like they're all of land with the sea in the distance, some other hotels look much nicer (not that this one doesn't look nice).

Are my cons ridiculous?  ;D

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 09, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »
From hotel web cam looks far from the sea---if sea not important to you it is no problem just that the sea is a big reason many go to Greece  --

if beach is important -how do you get to it - do they have a "decent" private type of beach or is it a public type that anyone who buys a cup of coffee gets lounge chairs umbrella etc

hotel page short on real info about hotel and room --but your friend gave you first hand info and that is helpful

saw no photos of rooms hotel etc

web site --they are not specific on anything about hotel -

I live in Greece and talk from experience just be sure of what you are getting b4 you pay

one other thing - when I stayed with "private" pool  --yes it was only for us to use-BUT - right next to us was the next rooms 'private" pool and we could see and converse with each other face to face - not really private
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:16:08 PM by SPLP »

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2017, 02:18:27 PM »
From hotel web cam looks far from the sea---if sea not important to you it is no problem just that the sea is a big reason many go to Greece  --

if beach is important -how do you get to it - do they have a "decent" private type of beach or is it a public type that anyone who buys a cup of coffee gets lounge chairs umbrella etc

hotel page short on real info about hotel and room --but your friend gave you first hand info and that is helpful

saw no photos of rooms hotel etc

web site --they are not specific on anything about hotel -

I live in Greece and talk from experience just be sure of what you are getting b4 you pay

one other thing - when I stayed with "private" pool  --yes it was only for us to use-BUT - right next to us was the next rooms 'private" pool and we could see and converse with each other face to face - not really private
Thanks for all the info! Really helpful.

Offline Kabrams1618

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 06, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
What is the best ing or Hilton hotel in athens walking distance to sites and chabad House.
We want to stay on points at one of these two hotel Groups

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
What is the best ing or Hilton hotel in athens walking distance to sites and chabad House.
We want to stay on points at one of these two hotel Groups
Based on what I've been told, the Hilton Athens is about a 20 minute walk from the main attraction sites and Kosher restaurant. I'm booked to stay there in the summer.