Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 223028 times)

Offline yg99

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: August 24, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »
It is visually a very interesting place, most do not come for the rooms , we stayed at the VEDEMA-- rooms very nice and would never call them "quaint"--never heard anyone say -"sorry  I went" --it is probably the number one destination in the Mediterranean

think post above is right - not for you

Unfortunately, I agree. It's not for me. I went and I have no idea how they can call the Vedema a "Luxury" hotel. Yeah, it's clean.... but Luxury? Far from it.

My first room there reeked from mold. When I asked for another room they said they were sold out. I went online and saw otherwise. Told them and they reluctantly switched me (problem was it was a nicer room).

They told me that since I didn't pay for that room, I would have to switch to another in the morning if this type is rented.

In the morning they said that room type is booked and I need to switch to what I paid for. I again looked online and caught them lying. They came up with an excuse that the room was just now booked over the phone.

And this is for a Gold SPG member that is entitled to an upgrade anyway.

Whatever.

Back to Santorini in general..
The sunset (which is the best part of the island) is a regular seaside sunset. Yeah, it's nice but you can get that view anywhere.

The only beach I went to is the Vedema part of the black beach. Very very interesting.

The water, there is no regular water on the entire island. It's all salt water. The desalinate sea water but it's still very salty. You cannot drink it, showers and swimming is in salt water.

The island is extremely rocky and mountainous. It's not at all lush and green (which I expected)

I'll admit that it is an unique landscape and it beautiful in it's own way. But, if people would have been honest and told me all this before I went, I would have chosen another island.

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 21, 2017, 05:18:04 AM »
thinking about doing a trip next week for 2-3 days should i go to athens and the surroundings or Barcelona? should i do both ? is there enough to do in athens and the area for 3 days ? any help would be appreciated 

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 21, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
I used a very good Jewish tour guide. He has a lot of places of interest on his multiple itineraries. If that's your thing, contact him. (Maybe just for ideas)

Haim Ischakis  ischakis@yahoo.com

Offline Chaim#1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 24, 2017, 05:17:04 AM »
so I will be flying Tomorrow to Athens I know it's not the time to fly there but can any 1 tell me what to visit i'll be there from Monday morning till Wednesday night or Thursday morning and should i go to any island near Athens at all? how about Thessaloniki is that a place to check out ? what hotels are nice and not very expensive ?

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #604 on: December 25, 2017, 02:19:02 AM »
so I will be flying Tomorrow to Athens I know it's not the time to fly there but can any 1 tell me what to visit i'll be there from Monday morning till Wednesday night or Thursday morning and should i go to any island near Athens at all? how about Thessaloniki is that a place to check out ? what hotels are nice and not very expensive ?
1.  Acropolis. A hill in the centre of city, with ancient temples and buildings. The biggest and most important is the Parthenon, which is dedicated to the goddess Athena. But it’s not only Acropolis. Across the city there are temples, libraries, bridges and a lot of other monuments. And of course there are two museums that you can’t miss : the Archaeological museum and the museum of Acropolis, one of the most astonishing in the world.Near Acropolis you can find the ruins of the theatre of Dionysus, the biggest in the city on its Golden Era. If you are lucky, you can also watch a play on the Roman theatre of Irodis and feel like taking part in these ancient festivals.

2. The  Monastiraki, Plaka or Thisio, with an excellent view of Acropolis. Shops,bars , cafes etc.

3.There are so many places around Athens that you can reach within a few hours. The closest one is the ancient Temple of Poseidon in Sounio (1 hour), where you can enjoy the amazing sunset over the Aegean Sea.
4. If you want to have a longer trip, you can go to the Mikines (2 hours) to watch the remains of one of the most glorious ancient Greek cities and Nafplio (just 30 – 45 minutes from Mikines), a beautiful town with two fortresses (the one on an island), which was the first capital city of Modern Greece. Near Nafplio there is also the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus. And if it happens to come in winter, you can visit the traditional village of Arahova (2 hours) and the ski centre of mountain Parnassos.
Greeks are very friendly, hope you enjoy your trip.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 14, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
Where should I visit. Athens, Thessaloniki or Crete ? Would be coming from Barcelona, going to Tel aviv. 2 days lets say

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:38 PM »
what time of year?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 15, 2018, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline yg99

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 15, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Not everything is open and it's still too cool for an Island vacation. So I would skip Crete.

I have never been to Thessaloniki. I have heard that there are a number of Jewish sites there.

Athens has plenty for 1-2 days. Plus that's were the main airport is. Read through the thread and you'll find enough things to do.

I used a Jewish tour guide, if that's your thing.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2018, 04:06:02 AM »
Mykonos & Santorini are the main attractions in Greece. There should be direct flights from Israel at some point this summer
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Mykonos & Santorini are the main attractions in Greece. There should be direct flights from Israel at some point this summer

OK my sisters are willing to do Italy and Greece with me in the summer. What other parts of Greece are good and how is the cheapest way to fly

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
ok I see olympic air is super cheap inter island. How would I phase island travel, say Corfu, Crete, Mykonos & Santorini. What cities in greece mainland are worth a visit ?

Offline mimb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »
ok I see olympic air is super cheap inter island. How would I phase island travel, say Corfu, Crete, Mykonos & Santorini. What cities in greece mainland are worth a visit ?

I've only been to Athens in the mainland and it's good for 1-2 days max. Can do the major sights in one day.

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
Any Kosher in mykonos? (from experience not from Google)
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 20, 2018, 04:32:04 PM »
Any Kosher in mykonos? (from experience not from Google)
Chabad of Athens can ship and there is a Kosher French group in August at the Myconian hotels
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline zagguru

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this trip? My wife and I want to take 2 weeks in the summer to go to Israel, but she really wants to do a stop over for maybe 5-7 days in Greece. What would be the best way to book the flights? Would prob want to do 2 different stops in Greece (also looking for recommendations which 2 places in greece to stay)

If anyone has already done this trip, a small TR would be amazing!

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 18, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this trip? My wife and I want to take 2 weeks in the summer to go to Israel, but she really wants to do a stop over for maybe 5-7 days in Greece. What would be the best way to book the flights? Would prob want to do 2 different stops in Greece (also looking for recommendations which 2 places in greece to stay)

I did a 5 day trip to Greece from Israel last summer. I’ll do my best to post a mini tr in the next day or two. Don’t feel bad nudging me to get it done.

Online Kabrams1618

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 18, 2018, 09:12:35 AM »
I would also be interested in 5 day trip information from Israel.  Thinking about it for this summer.

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:50 PM »

I would also be interested in 5 day trip information from Israel.  Thinking about it for this summer.

I went to crete for 5 days. I settled on crete as opposed to the many other islands mainly because of points hotel availability & ease of getting there.

Flights - I was first checking the standard Priceline kayak… the options weren’t great price wise & scheduling. I was then directed to 3 Israeli deal sites bo nauf (בא נעוף), hulyo (חוליו) & daka90. Bo nauf does not have a website they have an app. Every wed morn at 9am Israel time (iirc) they release deals which are available for 24 hours. Hulyo is an app as well as a website & pretty much every day they release new deals. Daka90 is like an Israeli Priceline - app & website. I ended up calling daka90 & booking over the phone with them & I was very happy with their cs. All these sites mentioned show flights which you won’t find on the standard Kayak Priceline etc. If you have more questions about this pm me I’ll be happy to share more details.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/not-el-al-the-smaller-israeli-airlines-that-will-get-you-there-for-cheap/
Just saw this, some more options to look into, although they don’t mention the deal sites I used which also have small Greek airlines that I couldn’t even find websites for.

Hotels - I looked at all the points hotel options on the different islands, Hyatt & Hilton both don’t have, SPG has a bunch of random & Marriott has 2 in crete. After going through the options, Domes of elounda seemed like our best choice for a few reasons. Flying direct into crete as opposed to other islands seemed the easiest & with a baby that was a priority, standard rooms were pricing at €850 & we would be paying just 45k Marriott for 4 nights & 5th night free. The standard rooms are suites with a balcony & private jacuzzi & we were hoping for an upgrade which we got to a room with a private pool as well (in my request for an upgrade to a room with a pool, I asked that I be given one high up so that it is completely private & nobody can see in - b”h they pulled through). If you’re going without kids it might be worth looking into domes noruz Chania which is an all adult hotel. Do a drop of research into domes of elounda & you’ll see all the great things about the hotel, pools, on the beach, all suites…

I’ll get another post out soon about what we did & try to add some pics as well.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 22, 2018, 06:56:15 AM »
How much were the flights?