Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 223071 times)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #660 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »
Domes of elounda. I actually rented a car through the hotel as they had a better rate than anywhere else.

Why’d you pick blue palace over domes of elounda?

Lol was about to ask you same thing.
I haven’t gone yet, but I got blue palace for cash and points, seemed like a better deal and than domes. But I am having second thoughts...

How did u like it?
How much did u rent the car for?

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »
Lol was about to ask you same thing.
I haven’t gone yet, but I got blue palace for cash and points, seemed like a better deal and than domes. But I am having second thoughts...

How did u like it?
How much did u rent the car for?

Domes was 45k Marriott = 15k SPG, & I got 5th night free. Blue palace is 25k SPG, don’t know what’s its c&p is but can’t imagine it’s a better value than 15k SPG. Regardless domes also seemed better.

I forgot how much I paid for the car I’ll try to check but it was expensive because I made the reservation quite close to my trip & I needed automatic, but the best rate I was able to get was through the hotel.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 25, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »
Domes was 45k Marriott = 15k SPG, & I got 5th night free. Blue palace is 25k SPG, don’t know what’s its c&p is but can’t imagine it’s a better value than 15k SPG. Regardless domes also seemed better.

I forgot how much I paid for the car I’ll try to check but it was expensive because I made the reservation quite close to my trip & I needed automatic, but the best rate I was able to get was through the hotel.

Blue palace is 10k + $180

I guess i’ll have to look into Domes...I’m hearing mixed reviews for blue palace

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »

Blue palace is 10k + $180

I guess i’ll have to look into Domes...I’m hearing mixed reviews for blue palace
The pools by the Marriott hotel are more private than the SPG one's. The rooms are significantly larger also. The average porch by Marriott is the size of the SPG room. A single upgrade by Marriott will get you a 2 room suite, an upgrade by SPG will get you another 7 feet.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 25, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
The pools by the Marriott hotel are more private than the SPG one's. The rooms are significantly larger also. The average porch by Marriott is the size of the SPG room. A single upgrade by Marriott will get you a 2 room suite, an upgrade by SPG will get you another 7 feet.

So I guess your saying to cancel blue palace and go with domes of Elounda?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 25, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
So I guess your saying to cancel blue palace and go with domes of Elounda?
I don't say anything. I do think though that Domes of elounda is a better value. If you are going with kids it's a no brainer.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 25, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
I don't say anything. I do think though that Domes of elounda is a better value. If you are going with kids it's a no brainer.

Just me and my wife.

Any here stay at blue palace that can comment on it?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 26, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »

Were the private pools in Domes heated?

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 27, 2018, 01:16:04 AM »
Were the private pools in Domes heated?
Not sure. There definitely was no need in the summer.

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 27, 2018, 01:53:24 AM »
Not sure. There definitely was no need in the summer.

My pool in domes was not heated & there were days (mid August), it wasn’t so comfortable.

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 29, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
Anyone stayed at Fresh Hotel in Athens? Was thinking of staying there for 1 night

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:51 PM »
anyone try this for airport transfers in crete?

https://www.hoppa.com/

Offline ebfonehome

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 12, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Just stayed at domes of noruz chania.. weird room (sink in middle of room)  great pool. Free breakfast (gold spg-amex plat)(brought my own pan for eggs but they couldnt use it because of some heating element wouldnt conduct the heat or something). Other than that this awesome guy  Christos at front desk/guest relations had no problem heating/freezing  my pom meals . Nice views and each room has a plunge pool,  but no hot tub.  Other than that  nice stay decent service.  Going to santorini next (no spg availability ) will be staying at Canaves oia. Feel free to message me for more questions.

P.s i rented a car from herlakion audi a3 for ~230 euro and i drove to the west side of island. Made sense as a cab one way was 130 euro..heads up at the rental car place Sixt rental car wouldnt gove me the car because “you dont have an international license”. So I did what any DDealer would do. I walked away and I literally went to the lady next to her at buget rent a car and they had a comparable car and price from the one i had reserved online, so I just booked it there. The lady at budget warned me if I were caught I would be finded 1k euro. ..I took the risk.I also used the car to go to elofonisi beach and it was great..kinda windy road but well worth it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:50:44 PM by ebfonehome »
SUS PONEY flyer

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #673 on: June 12, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
Just stayed at domes of noruz chania.. weird room (sink in middle of room)  great pool. Free breakfast (gold spg-amex plat)(brought my own pan for eggs but they couldnt use it because of some heating element wouldnt conduct the heat or something). Other than that this awesome guy  Christos at front desk/guest relations had no problem heating/freezing  my pom meals . Nice views and each room has a plunge pool,  but no hot tub.  Other than that  nice stay decent service.  Going to santorini next (no spg availability ) will be staying at Canaves oia.
were the pools private or could you see in from next door?

Offline ebfonehome

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 12, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »
Private in some respects. Like you can see through if you are really trying to see through it. Hard to describe..its like slotted wood ..umm like 2x4’s on their sides. Also there is a machine operated shade that allows you to control privacy. I’ll take a picture before I check out tomorrow. I can email it to you if you want to see. Another alternative is to have them put you on an elevated floor so that wont be an issue.
SUS PONEY flyer

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #675 on: June 12, 2018, 10:08:04 PM »
Just stayed at domes of noruz chania.. weird room (sink in middle of room)  great pool. Free breakfast (gold spg-amex plat)(brought my own pan for eggs but they couldnt use it because of some heating element wouldnt conduct the heat or something). Other than that this awesome guy  Christos at front desk/guest relations had no problem heating/freezing  my pom meals . Nice views and each room has a plunge pool,  but no hot tub.  Other than that  nice stay decent service.  Going to santorini next (no spg availability ) will be staying at Canaves oia. Feel free to message me for more questions.

P.s i rented a car from herlakion audi a3 for ~230 euro and i drove to the west side of island. Made sense as a cab one way was 130 euro..heads up at the rental car place Sixt rental car wouldnt gove me the car because “you dont have an international license”. So I did what any DDealer would do. I walked away and I literally went to the lady next to her at buget rent a car and they had a comparable car and price from the one i had reserved online, so I just booked it there. The lady at budget warned me if I were caught I would be finded 1k euro. ..I took the risk.I also used the car to go to elofonisi beach and it was great..kinda windy road but well worth it.

How are you getting from chania to santorini? are you going 2 hours to port of HER?
Was the car a convertible?
Did you go athens at all or straight to crete?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile

Offline zagguru

• View Profile

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 20, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »
Any islands in Greece have flights direct to TLV

besides JMK?

& JTR
?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:06:32 PM by davidmal »
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 20, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
Any islands in Greece have flights direct to TLV

besides JMK?

I’m doing from JTR