Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 223009 times)

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:55 AM »
maybe google a little and then ask

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:09 AM »
maybe google a little and then ask
maybe I did. But since I don't want to go the islands bec I am only there for 2 days I want to know in athens specifically.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2013, 04:20:05 AM »
maybe I did. But since I don't want to go the islands bec I am only there for 2 days I want to know in athens specifically.
i believe athens can be googled as well...

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »

Are u for real!!--i do not mind helping with info -- but it appears that u are to lazy to just google , and get some basic info and then ask --- ur on ur own --  ENDLESS INFO if u want to read

http://www.visitgreece.gr/en/main_cities/athens

http://www.visitgreece.gr/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/athens/sights

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/athens/sights

http://www.athensguide.org/

http://www.athensguide.com/

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
Ok my tickets to Greece are now on hold.

Here's the itinerary:

Sunday TLV - HER (Herkalion, Crete) land at 1pm

Tuesday Boat HERKALION to THIRA, Santorini with SeaJet depart at 830 am arrive at 10:30am

Wednesday JTR (santorini) to ATH, flight is 7pm arrive at 8

Thursday
ATH - ZRH - NYC depart Athens at 2pm with 1.5 hour connection.

Sunday and Monday we will rent a car and see as much of Crete as possible, Tuesday rent a car in Santorini see the sights, stay in Oia on the caldera, Wednesday find a nice beach, walk around and chill on the island till our 7pm flight. Land in Athens at 8 and hit the kosher restaurant, which is rated as #2 of all the restaurants in Athens! Thursday morning see the Acropolis in the morning and then go to the airport for our 2pm flight.

Does this sound good? Any changes on the flight times or anything before my tickets are final? Debating between the 7pm and 830 flight from JTR to ATH, the early flight misses sunset (which I will have seen the first day there) the later flight cuts dinner close (they close at 11).

Thank you (and thanks SPLP for all your help with which islands to visit and in which direction to see them etc).

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:29 AM »

Here's the itinerary:

Tuesday Boat HERKALION to THIRA, Santorini with SeaJet depart at 830 am arrive at 10:30am

Thursday

Sunday and Monday we will rent a car and see as much of Crete as possible, Tuesday rent a car in Santorini see the sights, stay in Oia on the caldera, Wednesday find a nice beach, walk around and chill on the island till our 7pm flight. Land in Athens at 8 and hit the kosher restaurant, which is rated as #2 of all the restaurants in Athens! Thursday morning see the Acropolis in the morning and then go to the airport for our 2pm flight.

Does this sound good? Any changes on the flight times or anything before my tickets are final? Debating between the 7pm and 830 flight from JTR to ATH, the early flight misses sunset (which I will have seen the first day there) the later flight cuts dinner close (they close at 11).

Thank you (and thanks SPLP for all your help with which islands to visit and in which direction to see them etc).

i did nothing, forget thank you

YOUR   GOOD TO GO!! -- I would not change a thing---you land Athens at 8:00 PM . By the time you deplane get luggage hop a taxi or train , check into hotel ,you will just make it to dinner -- as it is you have an enthusiastic schedule ,  ENJOY!!

PS  let me know how it all went and how was dinner

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »
for me personally its too whirlwind. but if thats how you like to travel, go for it

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
Coming from the guy who did a 12 set flight with 2 kids to AUS and New Zealand. :)
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

Here's the itinerary:

Thursday

Wow, i might just copy you. I was planning on doing a Greece trip soon. A post TR would help. Enjoy
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
i did nothing, forget thank you

YOUR   GOOD TO GO!! -- I would not change a thing---you land Athens at 8:00 PM . By the time you deplane get luggage hop a taxi or train , check into hotel ,you will just make it to dinner -- as it is you have an enthusiastic schedule ,  ENJOY!!

PS  let me know how it all went and how was dinner
Happy to hear that, we are set in that case. Gonna go and get it ticketed now!

Very excited about dinner the restaurant looks really cool, people were saying that even non kosher eating ppl should eat there, and of course I will let you guys know how it all went.

for me personally its too whirlwind. but if thats how you like to travel, go for it
It's a lot  but I have to work with my dates and if I am anyways going to Israel for Sukkos I thought this was something I just had to do on the way home. I think it could have been worse at least this way there are no wasted connections or extra trips to Athens etc. It's been on my bucket list for to long. At least this summer I will have a relaxing vacation with 9 days in Bali  :)

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Coming from the guy who did a 12 set flight with 2 kids to AUS and New Zealand. :)
i spent time in each place i went. each trip was 3 weeks

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
It's a lot  but I have to work with my dates and if I am anyways going to Israel for Sukkos I thought this was something I just had to do on the way home. I think it could have been worse at least this way there are no wasted connections or extra trips to Athens etc. It's been on my bucket list for to long. At least this summer I will have a relaxing vacation with 9 days in Bali  :)
i hear ya, but if i were you i would at least choose between crete and santorini, not try to "do" both

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
i hear ya, but if i were you i would at least choose between crete and santorini, not try to "do" both
Agreed. Angle was that I always wanted to see Santorini, I would not have done this trip for just Crete, however to get there from TLV you need to either connect in Athens which is out of the way flying wise and an extra flight, or go TLV to Crete and from there get over to Santorini. Once I am anyways there I may as well spend a day and a half there.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
We rented Mopeds to get around for relatively cheap. I guess it depends if you're taking along wife and kids.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2013, 07:08:50 PM »
We rented Mopeds to get around for relatively cheap. I guess it depends if you're taking along wife and kids.
My wife would go for it but not with out baby  :)

Got a car rental in Santorini for 55 EUR for 2 days automatic trans.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »
My wife would go for it but not with out baby  :)

Got a car rental in Santorini for 55 EUR for 2 days automatic trans.

do not know where u booked car from  -I have found , calling back to states always gets  me better rate than booking in Greece -- also i blv u may need int'l drive license

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2013, 11:51:33 PM »
do not know where u booked car from  -I have found , calling back to states always gets  me better rate than booking in Greece -- also i blv u may need int'l drive license
I booked with santorini car rentals.  http://www.santorini-car-rental.com/ they gave me a price of 55 EUR for 2 days with automatic trans. They asked me if I would make a deposit and then sent me an invoice after I said no, which was weird but they came back and said I can pay when I arrive. The car will be waiting for me at the port and I can return to the airport which is nice. Didn't like their customer service though so I may try to find a better company.

Gonna look into International drivers license, didn't realize I may need one.

Any tips on what to do in Crete? Assuming I will stay in Herakalion, as that's my point of entry and departure, does that make sense? Trying to decide if I can rent a car and see the scenery and some villages. On TA they are impossible as all they say is you have so little time just sit in a café and visit Knossos!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
I booked with santorini car rentals.  http://www.santorini-car-rental.com/ they gave me a price of 55 EUR for 2 days with automatic trans. They asked me if I would make a deposit and then sent me an invoice after I said no, which was weird but they came back and said I can pay when I arrive. The car will be waiting for me at the port and I can return to the airport which is nice. Didn't like their customer service though so I may try to find a better company.

Gonna look into International drivers license, didn't realize I may need one.

Any tips on what to do in Crete? Assuming I will stay in Herakalion, as that's my point of entry and departure, does that make sense? Trying to decide if I can rent a car and see the scenery and some villages. On TA they are impossible as all they say is you have so little time just sit in a café and visit Knossos!

Greeks are not the best when comes to service!!-- i have found large and int'l companies  offer the best service in Greece , though it also depends on individual dealing with, worth a  call and find out if required intl drive lic? , maybe varies from co to co

forget what people say -- ur  young ( can do anything!!)-- ur on vacation and with ur family , how can u not have a good time -- sure it is always nice to have more time , better to see some than none

can not offer any input on Crete other than food is excellent   

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/crete/things-to-do
 55  euro does not sound like a bad rate , just watch the gas gauge when u pick it up and when u return it , they have a habit of  trying to take advantage
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:45:51 AM by SPLP »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2013, 01:04:46 AM »
Greeks are not the best when comes to service!!-- i have found large and int'l companies  offer the best service in Greece , though it also depends on individual dealing with, worth a  call and find out if required intl drive lic? , maybe varies from co to co

forget what people say -- ur  young ( can do anything!!)-- ur on vacation and with ur family , how can u not have a good time -- sure it is always nice to have more time , better to see some than none

55  euro does not sound like a bad rate , just watch the gas gauge when u pick it up and when u return it , they have a habit of  trying to take advantage

Good pointer on the gas, and in a way happy to hear this car company isn't an exception. Going to ask about the intl license.

I like that attitude!!

Trying to find  a nice hotel now in Santorini. Oia seems like a good area, so far booked this http://www.onarvillas.com/  for 160 EUR,
although my search is far from over :)

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2013, 07:53:06 AM »
starwood has a  nice hotel , if want to spend the points( 30k a nite ) -- with such a short time-- plus  u will be out most of the day  i would stay in a place like u selected  and not spend the points and pay with c.c.-- in aug i will be staying in the starwood htl for 5 nites  and use 80k  points( b4 they raised the point price ) cost about $600 a night so for me it is worth the 80k as i have more time