Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 223005 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
starwood has a  nice hotel , if want to spend the points( 30k a nite ) -- with such a short time-- plus  u will be out most of the day  i would stay in a place like u selected  and not spend the points and pay with c.c.-- in aug i will be staying in the starwood htl for 5 nites  and use 80k  points( b4 they raised the point price ) cost about $600 a night so for me it is worth the 80k as i have more time
Wow good for you that you got such a good deal. Great value on your SPG points at 3 cents per point!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
any feedback on the kosher restaurant in athens?   hows the food?  hows the hechsher?   

in terms of location, which of the 3 spg hotels are best (king george, arion and grand bretagne)?

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
any feedback on the kosher restaurant in athens?   hows the food?  hows the hechsher?   

in terms of location, which of the 3 spg hotels are best (king george, arion and grand bretagne)?

grand bretagne BY FAR

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

grand bretagne BY FAR
What would you say between the Grand Bretagne or the Hilton? Hilton U can get for 20K HH points and 75 USD, the Grand Bretagne is 110 USD and 6k SPG points.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
What would you say between the Grand Bretagne or the Hilton? Hilton U can get for 20K HH points and 75 USD, the Grand Bretagne is 110 USD and 6k SPG points.

forget hilton --- not that hilton is bad --just that GB -- Is by far the best hotel in athens .. when it opened a few years ago , I said now we have   a 5 star like most European cities --- never stayed ( do not  need a hotel in Athens since I live in A.)-- all based on public areas  that I have used many,many  times --- also location is much better -- hilton does have a nice swimming pool -- 

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
forget hilton --- not that hilton is bad --just that GB -- Is by far the best hotel in athens .. when it opened a few years ago , I said now we have   a 5 star like most European cities --- never stayed ( do not  need a hotel in Athens since I live in A.)-- all based on public areas  that I have used many,many  times --- also location is much better -- hilton does have a nice swimming pool --
We won't have much time in the hotel, getting in at 8pm and leaving the next morning but if it's in a different league it's worth the splurge I guess.

Anywhere in Herakalion that you can recommend? Looking to stay near the port for the ferry. Looking at the Lato Boutique Hotel and the Kronos now. Ever stayed in that area?

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »

grand bretagne BY FAR
ehh, it seems like GB is completely sold out for my dates.  hilton looks like a great option for 20k points and $90 though.           i'm arriving in athens at 9am and leaving athens the next night at 1040pm... any ideas on the best way to work out the hotel situation to be covered for the stay?     

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
We won't have much time in the hotel, getting in at 8pm and leaving the next morning but if it's in a different league it's worth the splurge I guess.

Anywhere in Herakalion that you can recommend? Looking to stay near the port for the ferry. Looking at the Lato Boutique Hotel and the Kronos now. Ever stayed in that area?

Sorry can not help --

hilton is like so many hiltons built in i guess 60's 70's ( was fully renovated 2004)-- GB is an old world hotel that u find in London and most European cities   -- i think 6k pts and $ 100 is great deal --JUST NOT SO SURE  if it is just to sleep over night worth it since u feel hilton is cheaper

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
Sorry can not help --

hilton is like so many hiltons built in i guess 60's 70's ( was fully renovated 2004)-- GB is an old world hotel that u find in London and most European cities   -- i think 6k pts and $ 100 is great deal --JUST NOT SO SURE  if it is just to sleep over night worth it since u feel hilton is cheaper
Ok. For now I booked both and I guess when the trip gets closer I will decide. My flight out of Athens is at 2 pm. I would like to see the Acropolis in the morning right when it opens. Can that work? Also what's the best way to get to the airport? Short on time and will have my wife and baby with me so don't want to do a difficult public transport run unless it's fairly simple.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
ehh, it seems like GB is completely sold out for my dates.  hilton looks like a great option for 20k points and $90 though.           i'm arriving in athens at 9am and leaving athens the next night at 1040pm... any ideas on the best way to work out the hotel situation to be covered for the stay?     

what is ur question ?"any ideas on the best way to work out the hotel situation to be covered for the stay?"     

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Ok. For now I booked both and I guess when the trip gets closer I will decide. My flight out of Athens is at 2 pm. I would like to see the Acropolis in the morning right when it opens. Can that work? Also what's the best way to get to the airport? Short on time and will have my wife and baby with me so don't want to do a difficult public transport run unless it's fairly simple.

metro works great to -from airport -- with a baby and luggage not sure it is way to go , but if u did it in other places ,no different in greece -- when buy ticket ask about round trip and how long is r/t good for and get timetable -- taxi about 50- euros or less
i would guess u need to be at airport at noon for 2pm flt depending on airline and if international or inter-Europe need to fig one hour for train

train station is  less than a 3  minute walk to GB  5 min, walk hilton

Acropolis-- i guess opens at 9:00 am  so  have time for a"QUICK" look if all packed and checked out or ready to check out -- but with a baby not so sure ??? as if i remember plenty of steeps to climb and walking  -- to tell u the truth -- i know nothing about travel with a baby other than i see need to carry plenty of "extras" -- but u are a young guy and guess can handle

train info

http://www.athensairporttaxi.com/en/busmetro_metro_en.htm
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:06:28 PM by SPLP »

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »
Acropolis hours etc

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/open.htm

anything else u can google ur self

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
Amazing, thank you so much for all the information I think we are pretty much set. Seems like the Acropolis opens at 8 actually so that should give us some breathing room. The train looks pretty simple I think that would be a good choice.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
Very decent food. The hechsher is from the Rabbi Hendel himself, and the food was very decent and the hosts too.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Very decent food. The hechsher is from the Rabbi Hendel himself, and the food was very decent and the hosts too.
What's the atmosphere like? May come in straight from the airport with my suitcases unless that's a bad idea.

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
What's the atmosphere like? May come in straight from the airport with my suitcases unless that's a bad idea.
Great idea. They are the nicest Jews in Greece (That doesn't say much though!), and they literally make you feel at home. The Restaurant is in the Chabad house, you can even let your kids to play with the toys....

I felt like I was visiting my first cousins!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Great idea. They are the nicest Jews in Greece (That doesn't say much though!), and they literally make you feel at home. The Restaurant is in the Chabad house, you can even let your kids to play with the toys....

I felt like I was visiting my first cousins!
Thanks I am happy to hear that. Landing late so wouldn't want to waste time plus a cab fare to go to the hotel first.

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
What is the best way to get from Athens to Crete? Are there some small regional airlines that fly that route?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile