Topic Wiki

Greece Master Thread
Chabad has an awesome restaurant (and a cool chabad house) in Athens (Rated Number 2 of all restaurants in Athens on TA).
They also ship to all islands which you can warm up in your hotel. The food is awesome as as well!
Find them on facebook or on their website

Bunch of kosher travel related info here: http://koshergreece.com

Trip Reports: CS91's Santorini & Athens

Zaggurus TR: zagguru's

Sam28 TR Santorini : Sam28's

Athens:
Hotels
Hotel Grande Bretagne (Starwood)
King George Palace  (Starwood)
Both hotel's are right near each other, grand Bretagne is a little more upscale.
Both are walking distance to Chabad (Around 10 min) and to most of the action in Athens.
Other hotel's are a little further out of all the action.

Stuff to do
GOSTIJO kosher restaurant (They have a small grocery where you can get a variety of Israeli products) [See above]
Acropolis (Akropolis) and the Acropolis (Akropolis) Museum
Anafiotika (old town with some shopping)
Plaka 
Monastiraki
Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) first modern Olympics game.
Day trip to Delphi
Water-skiing in the Aegean Sea

Athens Chabad Pdf

Mykonos:
Hotels

Kosher
https://koshermykonos.com
whiteandblue.kosher@gmail.com
+331 84 60 70 70

What to do

Santorini:
Hotels
There are only two options which take points.
1. Vedema, this hotel is in Megalochori, it is a little off the path (Not near the water) and you don't get the views you would expect in Santorini. (Not a great option, but if you want to stay with points, it is a nice hotel)
2. Mystique, rated as one of the best Starwood hotels in the world. Availability is almost impossible, because they only have 27 rooms. Never mind the shocking 70K Starwood points a night in high season. 

Stuff to do
Kamari Beach, there is a cliff there which has a nice jump into the ocean. (Please be careful!)
Red Beach
Hiking Trail Fira - Oia (You can take a Donkey which is quite freaky, or take a tram)
Sunset in Oia (A must do, to get away from the crowds go to Sun Spirit, it is near the windmill and has great views and not packed. They only serve drinks.)
Santorini Volcano, Hot Springs.
Rent a ATV go around the island (At your own risk, the drivers in Santorini are crazy!)
Highest point of the island near the town of Prygos. Awesome panoramic views of the whole island.

Rhodes
Hotels
Sheraton Rhodes, large resort very centrally located. nice pools.
https://chabadrhodes.com

« Last edited by davidmal on October 16, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »

Author Topic: Greece Master Thread  (Read 223090 times)

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Greece Master Thread
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
Has anyone been to Greece in the winter?

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
Has anyone been to Greece in the winter?

Yes

Offline SLP

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
Yes
What's the weather like in Athens and the islands in January?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »
From what I hear not the best. We were in Athens in October and the morning was pretty cold.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
Greece TR anyone?

Thanks to SPLP for helping us plan the most amazing 5 day trip to the Greek islands and Athens!

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
Ok here is my TR from Greece. Short and sweet.

We left Israel on a Sunday morning and flew to Crete. Direct flight with Aegean which took a bit over an hour. We stayed in Heraklion at the Galaxy hotel and spent the rest of Sunday driving through the mountains to the Lasithi Plateau which has amazing scenery and many old windmills. En route we passed many traditional Greek villages where the ladies dress head to toe in black and the men sit outside playing chess. We then went to Agios Nikolaos to tour the harbor and walk around. Ag. Nikoloas is supposed to be from the nicest parts of Crete.

The following day we drove to Phaistos which are these ancient ruins overlooking the Libyan Sea and we then went to the beach of Matala which is on the Libyan sea and has amazing sea cliffs overlooking the crystal clear turquoise waters. The drive down was also very scenic with large mountains passes and pretty fields. We then went to Knossos which is the best preserved Minoan ruins in all of Crete before heading to the airport.

We then flew to Santorini which was a 20 minute flight and cost about 60 dollars. They even served drinks on the flight :)

In Santorini we stayed in Oia Lucky homes which has a view of the world famous caldera from the balcony. We stayed in the town of Oia which is the nicest part of the island and where everyone gathers to watch the sunset. It's hard to describe Santorini which has several villages built onto cliffs overlooking the Aegean Sea but as you have all seen in pictures it's one of the most amazing man made sights you will ever see.

We spent the 2 days there touring the island, walking up and down the narrow cobblestone paths and taking pictures at every bend. We took a donkey ride down to the ancient port of Fira and took a boat to a volcano which sits directly across the caldera from Fira and gives you the best views of the entire island. The climb to the top took us a half hour and was certainly worth it. We also drove from one end of the island to the other to get a good feel for what the island looks like.

On the last day before heading to the airport we spent some time on the black volcanic sand beach of Kamari (not as cool as the one on the road to Hanna). 2 days was enough time to see and do everything we wanted although 3 days would have been more chilled.

Wednesday night we flew to Athens and stayed in the Grand Bretagne hotel which is from the nicest hotels I have ever slept in. We got a junior suite which was really nice of them. We went to the  kosher restaurant which is all it's made out to be. In the morning we went to the Acropolis as well as the Agora before returning to our hotel to pack up and fly home.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2013, 02:46:47 AM »

wrong time to visit-- come mid May through Oct 15-- can swim  late may, but better in June through mid September -- if come in January --bring a coat

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
FAN OF DAN :

Great report
:), so good that you can write for a travel magazine  or the Greek tourist association

did you use a taxi or metro to get to/from hotel

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »
FAN OF DAN :

Great report
:), so good that you can write for a travel magazine  or the Greek tourist association

did you use a taxi or metro to get to/from hotel
Thank you! Let me know if the Greek tourist Association has any openings  :)

We ended up biting the bullet and taking a taxi. To save on costs and time we actually went to the restaurant directly from the airport. From there to the GB was 5 EUR and in the morning our cab took us all the way up the path to the ticket office because we have a baby. Also 5 EUR as was the way back to the hotel so all the cab drivers were honest, fair and cheap.

We got to see a changing of the guard in front of Parliament before we left for the airport.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
GREAT -- I admire your enthusiasm and strength  , I could never do with a child such a trip - youth has its advantages that is for sure  :) 

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2013, 04:11:04 AM »
@Fan of Dan,
If I have 4 days or so, no kids to bring along, would you recommend trying to hit up all 3 spots, or keeping it down to 2 places?
If so, which two?

Also, @SPLP, what's the weather I can expect in late March on the islands, and in Athens? Pleasant?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2013, 05:26:15 AM »
@Fan of Dan,
If I have 4 days or so, no kids to bring along, would you recommend trying to hit up all 3 spots, or keeping it down to 2 places?
If so, which two?

Also, @SPLP, what's the weather I can expect in late March on the islands, and in Athens? Pleasant?

Athens Weather in March is just turning -- temps  about 50 to 60  with sunshine most of the day -- but --  this  is "weather" and can be better or worse , if you were coming in late April i would just say -- weather will be very nice -- after March  starts to get nicer --

The Islands I  think to early to enjoy-- take CRETE  that is south --March and April:  unstable weather. It can be rainy and windy, but also sunny and warm. Temperatures 55  to 75

I do not know if you are in Israel , CRETE that is very south --is about 600 miles from Israel and the weather I am sure reflects that

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
Athens Weather in March is just turning -- temps  about 50 to 60  with sunshine most of the day -- but --  this  is "weather" and can be better or worse , if you were coming in late April i would just say -- weather will be very nice -- after March  starts to get nicer --

The Islands I  think to early to enjoy-- take CRETE  that is south --March and April:  unstable weather. It can be rainy and windy, but also sunny and warm. Temperatures 55  to 75

I do not know if you are in Israel , CRETE that is very south --is about 600 miles from Israel and the weather I am sure reflects that

I am coming from Israel, and need to decide this week what I want to do, since my US Airway promo offer expires then.
I figure that I can do a stopover in Greece s/w, and then continue on to a second city in Greece b/f returning back home. Just trying to figure out what those should be.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 25, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I am coming from Israel, and need to decide this week what I want to do, since my US Airway promo offer expires then.
I figure that I can do a stopover in Greece s/w, and then continue on to a second city in Greece b/f returning back home. Just trying to figure out what those should be.

If want to see   Greece in March, Athens is a must as no place in Greece will the weather be great and since it is a big city many things to see-- as far as second city  if have the time I would select Creta or maybe Thessaloniki ( 2nd largest city in Greece )as at one time I think I read the population was 75% Jewish in Thessaloniki  and I would assume if you like History may find it interesting , but it is more north than Athens and much colder they get Snow in winter

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 25, 2013, 06:01:57 AM »
So a TLV-Crete-ATH-TLV itin?
2 days in each place you think?
@Fan of Dan, do you know if award availability for TLV-HER ever opens up, or did you just buy your ticket?

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 25, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »
So a TLV-Crete-ATH-TLV itin?
2 days in each place you think?
@Fan of Dan, do you know if award availability for TLV-HER ever opens up, or did you just buy your ticket?

I am not like many of you and would not do less than 2 days in any place I go to  -- I think 2 days in each place is enough and does not mater if go to ath -creta or creta ath -- what ever gives best flts etc

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 25, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
@Fan of Dan,
If so, which two?

Santorini kicks both without any question IMHO. Crete is very cool but it's really big so we missed most of it although we were happy that we went. We definitely got a feel for it. We had 4 days and another morning and we did all 3. We also had a baby with us, although she was pretty good. Athens was really quick for us, we saw the Acropolis in one morning until 11 but it's better to spend a full day there in all honesty.

If I was picking 2 in a short amount of time I would do Athens and Santorini although the reason we even went to Crete is because we got a direct flight there from TLV and from there to Santorini so it didn't require extra flying and if you go from TLV to Santorini you will need to make a connection.

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
Santorini kicks both without any question IMHO. Crete is very cool but it's really big so we missed most of it although we were happy that we went. We definitely got a feel for it. We had 4 days and another morning and we did all 3. We also had a baby with us, although she was pretty good. Athens was really quick for us, we saw the Acropolis in one morning until 11 but it's better to spend a full day there in all honesty.

If I was picking 2 in a short amount of time I would do Athens and Santorini although the reason we even went to Crete is because we got a direct flight there from TLV and from there to Santorini so it didn't require extra flying and if you go from TLV to Santorini you will need to make a connection.
Was the flight to Crete an award flight?
Regardless, I think it's no longer offered. I don't see it in ITA.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:23:06 PM by Drago »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
Was the flight to Crete an award flight?
No it was with Aegean and was about 130 USD. If you do it that way it may pay to also visit Crete once you are there. From Crete you can fly to Santorini in 20 minutes. (don't take the ferry takes so much longer).