Author Topic: recommendation on cut resist / cut proof kitchen gloves  (Read 1178 times)

Offline ydbe

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: daf yomi
recommendation on cut resist / cut proof kitchen gloves
« on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:14 PM »
so i bought my wife a mandoline slicer when it was less than $15 on Amazon, sorry I can't post link, I'm on my cell, and the first time she used it she cut herself badly. I started reading a bit & it seems many people get seriously hurt by these. does anyone have a glove or pair of gloves they have used successfully & easily with a mandoline slicer? I have read tons of reviews on Amazon and the prices & styles vary from pairs with Kevlar for about $14 to Stainless Steel for $120 for 1 glove! your input is appreciated!

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: recommendation on cut resist / cut proof kitchen gloves
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:04 PM »
14 a glove doesn't seem to crazy

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »
so i bought my wife a mandoline slicer when it was less than $15 on Amazon, sorry I can't post link, I'm on my cell, and the first time she used it she cut herself badly. I started reading a bit & it seems many people get seriously hurt by these. does anyone have a glove or pair of gloves they have used successfully & easily with a mandoline slicer? I have read tons of reviews on Amazon and the prices & styles vary from pairs with Kevlar for about $14 to Stainless Steel for $120 for 1 glove! your input is appreciated!

I think everyone cuts themselves when first use it --- if take it slow and pay attention  to what u are doing it will not happen --- especially when u get near 3/4 finished --- just finish any leftover with a knife

Offline jaywhy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
Everyone seems to cut themselves with a mandoline. $15 a glove seems to be a good price.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:09 AM »
If really everyone is cutting themselves, then you should sue them. That way, they will put appropriate warnings on them, or will at least raise the prices such that only people who actually get enough utility from them to justify the danger will use them.

Because there's deadweight loss here if you only get say 20 dollars in utility from it and they only have say 5 in profit but you have say 100 in expected harm.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:04 AM »
If really everyone is cutting themselves, then you should sue them. That way, they will put appropriate warnings on them, or will at least raise the prices such that only people who actually get enough utility from them to justify the danger will use them.

Because there's deadweight loss here if you only get say 20 dollars in utility from it and they only have say 5 in profit but you have say 100 in expected harm.

I can see that you are in class too much...  ;)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
I can see that you are in class too much...  ;)

And right now in fact.

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »

I have a simple hand held one --It came with warning and a safety clamp ---i do not use clamp to hold down what i am slicing

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
I have a mandoline which has a track and something to guide you while you are cutting. Pretty much cut resistant without gloves.
Check out the link below for images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kitchenaid+mandoline&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=v11kUbOqM4LE4AODg4G4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=904#imgrc=_
Quaerite et Invenietis.