Author Topic: Best way to get around Manhattan?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Best way to get around Manhattan?
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
Driving to Manhattan is a pain - traffic sucks, tolls are expensive, and parking is both pricey and difficult to find. The MTA used to have a "One-day Fun Pass" - pay a few bucks, and for 1 day, you could take all the trains and buses you want... which was awesome for an occasional visitor like myself. But at some point, the kargeh chazeirim at the MTA decided that they are not ripping off the poor citizens of NYC enough to pay for the Union leader's Lexus payment, so (among other things) they axed the Fun Pass. >:(

What's the next best way to get around the city? Paying $2.50 (or whatever it is these days) for every hop, skip, and jump seems a bit pricey for bus transport, and I'm not sure how much taxis are on average. Pedicabs seem to charge an awful lot for a one-horsepower (emphasis on "horse") ride. So what's my best bet?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get around Manhattan?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »
Driving to Manhattan is a pain - traffic sucks, tolls are expensive, and parking is both pricey and difficult to find. The MTA used to have a "One-day Fun Pass" - pay a few bucks, and for 1 day, you could take all the trains and buses you want... which was awesome for an occasional visitor like myself. But at some point, the kargeh chazeirim at the MTA decided that they are not ripping off the poor citizens of NYC enough to pay for the Union leader's Lexus payment, so (among other things) they axed the Fun Pass. >:(

What's the next best way to get around the city? Paying $2.50 (or whatever it is these days) for every hop, skip, and jump seems a bit pricey for bus transport, and I'm not sure how much taxis are on average. Pedicabs seem to charge an awful lot for a one-horsepower (emphasis on "horse") ride. So what's my best bet?

Taxis are definitely going to cost you more than $2.50 a pop

The best way to get around Manhttan is by foot. 
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yaakov s

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
just to let you know that I once used my grandparents car which has a pass , parked on 48street and 5 ave , got out and a traffic agent came over to me to move the car since I didn't have a disabled person in the car, just dont abuse it .
You assumed he abused it. Where did he say it wasn't legitimate.

But your reason was flawed. If you don't need it it's always abuse. Don't use because someone who really needs it should get it!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
just to let you know that I once used my grandparents car which has a pass , parked on 48street and 5 ave , got out and a traffic agent came over to me to move the car since I didn't have a disabled person in the car, just dont abuse it .
The pass is chal on the gavra and the cheftza. A pass is good but dont get caught getting in and out of the car...fake a limp..?

Offline dd321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
The pass is chal on the gavra and the cheftza. A pass is good but dont get caught getting in and out of the car...fake a limp..?

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
Definitely subway.

Offline 972sg212

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
Definitely subway.

+1
Where in the City ?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
Also true.
 interesting mishnah.. gotta have a look...

Offline 972sg212

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
Waiting for someone to post this

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
Two wrongs dont make a right.
 Its wrong to park illegally but not punishable by crippling, cursing, everlasting damnation, stoning or death.
The last I checked its a couple of hundred dollar fine.
I firmly believe that from a torah perspective its a Momonos issue and bad middos to park in a handicapped space but hardly a felony, probably a chillul hashem.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:08:59 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:58 AM »
Taxis are definitely going to cost you more than $2.50 a pop

Yeah, but unlike buses, at least you can flag them anywhere (not just at predetermined stops), you don't have to wait for the next ~15 minute interval, they take you directly where you're going without a million stops, and you get to sit - even during rush hour. That "luxury" is worth something.

I'm happy to give that up... but I'd rather not be paying $5 (if my wife is with me) for each leg of the trip, for the lower-quality form of transport. I will I if I have to (or just cough up for taxis), but I'd also like to know if there are other options that I missed.

The best way to get around Manhttan is by foot.

Maybe if you're going 2-3 blocks at a time.. but what if you're visiting stores that are 15-20 blocks apart?

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
Yeah, but unlike buses, at least you can flag them anywhere (not just at predetermined stops), you don't have to wait for the next ~15 minute interval, they take you directly where you're going without a million stops, and you get to sit - even during rush hour. That "luxury" is worth something.

I'm happy to give that up... but I'd rather not be paying $5 (if my wife is with me) for each leg of the trip, for the lower-quality form of transport. I will I if I have to (or just cough up for taxis), but I'd also like to know if there are other options that I missed.

Maybe if you're going 2-3 blocks at a time.. but what if you're visiting stores that are 15-20 blocks apart?
Taxis are more comfortable but that is about the only advantage that they have over subways.
IME, the vast majority of the time, the subway is faster, cheaper, and if you are not going to during rush hour, you almost always find a seat.
And you are allowed a free transfer from bus to subway or vice versa btw.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
And you are allowed a free transfer from bus to subway or vice versa btw.

I know. But due to the nature of how the bus/train lines are laid out, you often need at least two buses/trains (or more) per destination.

Another issue with PAYG bus transport is having enough money on the Metrocard. I don't wanna put on too much, because I will probably forget about/lose it by the time I come back to the US again. But if I put on too little, it means finding a subway station to reload before I can board the bus - these poor Union drivers are nebach too fragile to give change, unlike the Egged drivers who can drive, take payment, issue tickets, give change, refill Rav-Kavs, sell phone cards, listen to the radio, AND drink a coffee at the same time, all without ever having an accident (well, almost). :P

Why they don't have a refill-by-phone (or online) option, or machines at the bus stops, is beyond me. Unless that's something else that changed in the last half-year that I missed?

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
Another issue with PAYG bus transport is having enough money on the Metrocard. I don't wanna put on too much, because I will probably forget about/lose it by the time I come back to the US again. But if I put on too little, it means finding a subway station to reload before I can board the bus - these poor Union drivers are nebach too fragile to give change, unlike the Egged drivers who can drive, take payment, issue tickets, give change, refill Rav-Kavs, sell phone cards, listen to the radio, AND drink a coffee at the same time, all without ever having an accident (well, almost). :P
+1

So true.

#bestdrivers #craziestdrivers
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline jaywhy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:59 AM »
I know. But due to the nature of how the bus/train lines are laid out, you often need at least two buses/trains (or more) per destination.
I've always found Manhattan's public transportation to be very well laid out...

Another issue with PAYG bus transport is having enough money on the Metrocard. I don't wanna put on too much, because I will probably forget about/lose it by the time I come back to the US again. But if I put on too little, it means finding a subway station to reload before I can board the bus - these poor Union drivers are nebach too fragile to give change, unlike the Egged drivers who can drive, take payment, issue tickets, give change, refill Rav-Kavs, sell phone cards, listen to the radio, drink a coffee at the same time,yell at someone in the back, eat sunflower seeds, talk on his cellphone, and chat with the people in the front while taking turns at 50MPH with cars and pedestrians inches away on both sides all without ever having an accident (well, almost). :P

Why they don't have a refill-by-phone (or online) option, or machines at the bus stops, is beyond me. Unless that's something else that changed in the last half-year that I missed?You can sign up for a card that refills automatically from your credit card but that wouldn't be useful for an occasional user...