Topic Wiki

How long should I go for?

Minimum 8 hours is a starter. Perfect for a full day.

Where to stay:
Andaz
Waldorf Astoria
Holiday Inn Express (provides Mehadrin breakfast)
W
Element
Marriot

What to do:
Walk through the market and see the flowers and all other sorts of touristy stuff

Visit the Spanish Portuguese Shul - http://www.portugesesynagoge.nl/eng

Visit Anne Frank's Museum - http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/

Take a boat ride on the canals

Heiniken Museum (mixed reviews) - http://www.heineken.com/Heineken-Experience/Heineken-Experience

Van Gogh Museum - http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/nl

Rijksmuseum - https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en

Maritime Museum ( great for kids also)

Take 1.5 hr train to Antwerp

Minyanim:

Restaurants and Supermarkets:

Meat

Meat Me

HaCarmel

Sal-Meijer sandwich shop - http://www.sal-meijer.com/english/index.php CLOSED FOR GOOD

Golan

Grand cafe Rimon - http://rimongrandcafe.nl/menu.html

Marcus - butcher - http://www.slagerijmarcus.nl/kosher/

Milk

Pizza & Co

Mouwes - Supermarket - http://www.mouwes.nl/

Rimon Deli – Bakery and Supermarket - info@laromme.nl

David's Corner - Supermarket - www.davidscorner.nl

Trip Reports, notes and reviews:
Dan
jj1000     
mguy
moish
penina
@yehuda
DDFB
jungle
boruch
« Last edited by rangersin4 on May 29, 2023, 03:30:01 PM »

Author Topic: Amsterdam Master Thread  (Read 201482 times)

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Amsterdam Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
Does anyone know which lounge I can get into, or if it is a nice lounge, with a priority pass...? (compliments of AMEX Plat)
We are  flying into AMS
I have a 10 hour layover and want to take a shower as soon as I get off the plane.
TIA
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline twentie4hrs

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »
‘Schiphol Amsterdam Airport’ was designed as a transit hub so everything is basically one big massive hall with a lot of shops and things to do. Just in case you (or you wife/fam) get tired sightseeing the city, you can always go back to the airport and relax or shop there. If you have carry-on luggage you don’t want to take with you into the city, you can lock them up in a safes which are scattered around the airport.
Taking a taxi into the city is quite expensive (around 50 euro’s). The cheapest and easiest way into the city is by train which leaves from the train terminal right under the arrival halls. A one day return ticket cost 7.50 Euro’s. It takes about 15-20 min to get from the airport to the center of Amsterdam.
When you arrive make your way to the ‘Arrivals 2’ area. Over there is a store called ‘Holland tourist information’ there you can buy train tickets to Amsterdam central station and a day pass for the public transportation in Amsterdam itself.  Ask for a return train ticket to Amsterdam and for a 24 hrs ‘gvb’ unlimited day pass. Pick up a map of Amsterdam’s tourists attractions while you are there. Can’t hurt!
Store: http://extra.klmtransfer.schiphol.nl/web/show/id=156823/langid=42
Daypass: http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/tickets-and-fares/Pages/GVB-24-48-72-96-hour-tickets.aspx
After that follow the signs to exit or the meeting point. That’s basically a big red and white, piece of art in the middle of the arrival plaza. (Right there, are machines to buy train tickets to Amsterdam if you haven’t done so yet. There is also a desk there) trains to Amsterdam leave about every 5-10 min. ask or look at the information screens on which platform the next train leaves.
Once you come out of the central train station make your way to trams (not buses!) on your left hand side before you cross any bridges. If you haven’t bought a 24 hrs (or more) ‘gvb’ unlimited day pass you can do so in the central station. Maps of the tram routes are available there too. In general most conductors on the tram speak English and you could ask them for help and ask them to tell you where or when you need to get off for the various attractions. Most people in the Netherlands speak a decent English and you could always ask people in the street for help.
In front of the central train station, across the bridges are many boat companies who offer boat tours around the city’s famous many canals. There are different tours available and some companies let you hop on and off at the major tourist landmarks (such as the Anna Frank house, Heineken Experience etc). so you could use it as a form of transportation. It might be a little bit more than a regular boat tour though.
Here are some ideas where to go. I include a web address when available, which tram# to take there and a little info about it.

Old Portuguese shul from the 17th century. Completely original and intact. A must see when coming to Amsterdam. Take tram # 9 or 14 to get there.
http://www.portugesesynagoge.nl/eng/visit/opening-hours.
Anne Frank Museum. Another must visit. Visit early in the morning or order tickets online. The lines get very long in general. Take tram #13 or 14 to get there.
http://www.annefrank.org/en/Museum/Practical-information/Opening-hours-prices-and-location1/
Flower market located by the ‘Singel’ and ‘Muntplein’. The Dutch are famous for their flowers and here you can buy flower bulbs and other stuff (like marijuana plant seeds!! Etc. in Holland you are legally allowed to own 2 marijuana plants for personal use. Don’t buy the seeds and try to bring it to the US. I’m NOT responsible). Cool place to go past if you have time. Lots of trams stop here. # 4,, 9, 16, 24, 25
Leidseplein. A famous square with a lot of coffee shops…. Take tram # 1, 2, 5, 7, 10 to get there.
Van Gogh Museum: Famous Dutch artist. If you like historic paintings etc. not a  must but lot of people go there. The building itself is a funky design and it’s located on a nice square to take a rest and grab a beer.  http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp take tram # 2, 3, 5, 16, 24
House of Bols is located right next to the van gogh museum. It’s a fun museum/bar about the dutch dring ‘Genever’. http://www.houseofbols.com/main.asp
Drinking traditions
Jonge jenever is sometimes served cold from a bottle kept in a freezer. However, the higher-quality oude jenever (and korenwijn) is usually served at room temperature. When jenever is drunk with beer (normally lager) as a chaser, it is referred to as a kopstoot (headbutt) or duikboot (submarine) in Flanders. Traditionally, jenever is served in completely full shot glasses taken directly from the freezer. As the glass is very cold it is advisable to take the first sips without holding the glass, leaving it on the table and bending one's back to apply one's mouth to the glass
Albert kuyp market. Famous Amsterdam daily market where you can buy literacy anything. If you want a real local experience, go here. Take tram # 16, 24 to get there.
Heineken Experience is the famous Dutch beer brand museum. I remember the days that they gave you free unlimited beers at the bar, during and after the tour. Now they only give you 2 or 3. (or soda/other drinks if you don’t like beer)
http://www.heinekenexperience.com/visitor-information/ take tram # 4, 7, 10, 16, 24, 25 to get there.
Kosher food
They don’t have many kosher certifications in Holland. There’s a list with kosher products which they update all the time so it’s hard to know what kosher or not in the regular stores. There are small kosher sections in some supermarkets like the ‘Albert Heijn’ or ‘C1000’. The few kosher stores are located in the Jewish area which is a tram ride away from the city center. There are two kosher restaurants closer to the city center.
1)   Sandwich shop Sal-meijer. This is actually a famous kosher sandwich store in Amsterdam with some good stuff. My wife (from the US) liked their French fries very much. It’s  great place for brunch/lunch. There’s a train station down the road (10-15 min. walk.) so it’s a great location for a quick bite before heading out to the airport. Just ask the owners for directions. They are very nice people.
http://www.sal-meijer.com/english/index.php. take tram # 12, 25 to get there.

2)   Hacarmel kosher restaurant. (Amstelveenseweg 224 1075 XT Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Israeli style meat restaurant. Take tram # 2 or 16 to get there.

There are more kosher restaurants in the jewish area. Pls see the google maps link for that.

Here is the closest shul to the city center with a daily minyan.
Synagogue Kehilas Ja’akov
Gerrit van der Veenstraat 26
http://www.degerrit.nl/
it’s a regular house, so you won’t see there’s a shul. Check out their website or let me know if you are interested in going there and I can find out the exact times for the minyanim from my family. Both my father and my brother daven there. Here’s another usefull link they have on their site.
http://www.degerrit.nl/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/Jewish-Tourist-info-Amsterdam.pdf

google map of main tourist attractions in Amsterdam
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207117270281404183174.0004b1436fd7b7f207c4a&msa=0

if you really want to experience Amsterdam, rent a bike instead of taking the trams. You can rent them outside the central train station and other various locations, only rent a bike if you really know how to bike. There are a crazy amount of bikers in Amsterdam and they all do crazy things. Roads a re small and cars and bikes have to fight for their space. Be very careful.
If you like herring than you should definitely stop at a herring stall. Dutch herring is the best in the world !!! harring stalls are scattered around the city. There’s one at the ‘Albert kuyp market. They only serve herring and only one type, which is kosher. Just don’t order a herring in a bun. The bun is not kosher! Just order one whole herring with onions and a pickle and eat it whole. Like the dutch people do!
Enjoy your trip and don’t hesitate to ask for more info if you need.
Be safe!

I just wanted to say THANKS!!  we followed your trip report and it was very helpful
We ended up just going to Anne Franks house and to the Spanish Portuguese Museum and Pizza co...Pizza Co was probably the 2nd or 3rd best pizza I ever had.
The bakery down the street from there was amazing also..anyways, thanks
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline David B

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
For the next person with a layover...if you are at all into Art, don't miss the Rijksmuseum...one of the best in the world.  Nothing beats all the Dutch masters...

Not far from other things to see in the list on the previous page (which are all great suggestions)

Offline mguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »
Anyone have opinions on the SPG hotels in Amsterdam? Is the Hotel Pulitzer nice? In a good location?

Hotel Des Indes also looks nice, but is The Hague otherwise a worthwhile place to stay? Is it just the feel of a downtown business district?

Thanks

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 04:19:07 AM »
i plan on being in antwerp in the end of feburary with 2 kids,is it worth traveling to amsterdam for a day? is anything doable with 2 kids?thanks!

Offline David B

• View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
i plan on being in antwerp in the end of feburary with 2 kids,is it worth traveling to amsterdam for a day? is anything doable with 2 kids?thanks!

My wife and I did it about 15 years ago (but without kids).  It was an easy drive, and there is plenty to do there in one day.  You probably won't get as much done with two kids as we did by ourselves, but no reason you couldn't do it with kids.  It wold also depend on how old they are, and what sights you went to see in Amsterdam.  We did the Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Jewish Historical Museum and the S&P Synagogue -- not necessarily the best itinerary with kids....

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
thanks, my kids are 2 1/2 and 8 months,not sure if were gonna go,just weighing our options

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »
thanks, my kids are 2 1/2 and 8 months,not sure if were gonna go,just weighing our options

the jewish community is maybe 15 minutes by subway from the airport....it leaves from the bottom floor AFAIK and it's like the 2nd stop...why not just take a short hop over and get some good food?

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »
Not sure how long you will be in Antwerp, but there are some nice things to see, also Bruges and Ghent are very nice.

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
i'll be there for a wedding but have a day or 2 before and after to tour,thats why i was thinking amsterdam,but id check out antwerp too if there's what to see :) thanks!

Offline Yosef_S

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum Medallion; UA Mileage Plus - Premier Platinum; AF/KLM FlyingBlue - Gold; Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond; Hilton HHonors - Gold; Starwood Preferred Guest - Gold; National Emerald Executive Elite; Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle
KLM Stopover in AMS
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
Hi all,

I'm flying to Israel in two weeks on KLM and I have an 8 hour stopover in Amsterdam.

Does anyone on here have any recommendations?

I'm in Amsterdam from 12:30 - 9 PM. Are there any kosher restaurants that are worth going to? Any sights to be seen?

Also, are either of the SERVISAIR MENZIES LOUNGEs that I can access with Priority Pass any good?

All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
Former DDF Lurker Finally Getting the Hang of Posting...

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm flying to Israel in two weeks on KLM and I have an 8 hour stopover in Amsterdam.

Does anyone on here have any recommendations?

I'm in Amsterdam from 12:30 - 9 PM. Are there any kosher restaurants that are worth going to? Any sights to be seen?

Also, are either of the SERVISAIR MENZIES LOUNGEs that I can access with Priority Pass any good?

All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

I was at one of the SERVISAIR lounges in LHR and it was a disaster, but that might be because they service some Indian flight that brought a lot of Indians to the lounge.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »
i wanted to know if anyone knows of a reliable driver to drive from ams airport to antwerp,I'm fling into ams because of cheaper award flights and taking a train isn't an option as ill be coming with 2 cranky kids and a few pieces of luggage :) thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:42 PM »
Its about 150 euro for a jewish taxi.

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
Its about 150 euro for a jewish taxi.

What's/Who that?!

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:44 AM »
do you have a number,email for contact info?you can pm,not sure yet if i need it but would be nice to have that option,thanks!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »
Not a big deal I will even order it for you.

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
k thanks,ill let you know when i get closer to flying if necessary,really appreciate it,it would be on the 20th of February thanks
!

Offline mguy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
Mini Trip Report - Visited for 36 hours in January. There is some great info in this thread from people much more knowledgeable about Amsterdam, so I’ll just fill in some details…

I got an unlimited GVB card and took trams all over. Get yourself a tram map or download one to your phone. The biggest attraction for me would be just strolling around – there are charming shops, squares, streets and canals. But visit in the right season if you can – was rainy, cold and very windy when I was there.

Stayed at Hotel Pulitzer using SPG Cash & Points. Got upgraded as a Platinum to a junior suite overlooking the canal. They took 25 canal houses and knocked out the insides of them to create this hotel. Is therefore a little unusual, and the rooms vary. Has a nice interesting feel to it and it’s great to stay in an authentic-feeling local place. But I wouldn’t consider it a luxurious hotel, despite belonging to the “Luxury Collection”.

Anne Frank House – was a worthwhile visit. Is a one-hour walk self-guided walk through, with short videos and exhibits along the way. Definitely buy tickets in advance. You then choose a specific time slot and walk straight in at your designated time. By time I checked the website the day before, were all sold out so I showed up at opening time and waited around 20 minutes on the line outside.

Also visited the Portuguese Synagogue (worthwhile) and the flower market (maybe was the season, but for me, didn’t have all that much variety to be worthwhile as an attraction).

Ate at Hacarmel (generous portions, tasty) and H’Baron. Regarding the latter, I was pleasantly surprised that a city with a relatively small kosher community would have such a quality restaurant.

The kosher grocery spots close 5pm-6pm. If you need some stuff later, the C100 supermarket in the same neighborhood has packaged cold cuts, cheeses, Israeli-style dips, frozen pizzas and knishes, etc.

Things I didn’t get to…

Rijksmuseum – came recommended to me and I wanted to visit. Next time.

Bike rental – in nicer weather I would probably rent bikes. They are all over. Look for 'Fiets te huur' (bikes for hire).

Dutch country side – supposed to be pure and charming – windmills and small villages.

Offline boruch

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
Glad you enjoyed my hometown :)
The dutch country side is really a beautiful trip but it needs to be nice weather. Like you said there are many days is miserable. Rainy and windy.
For anyone interested in the dutch country side there's a beautiful little historic village called 'Volendam - Marken'. It's about a half hour bus ride from the amsterdam central station. You can hop on the bus to 'Marken' in front of the central train station. From 'Marken' you take a nice half hour boat ride to 'Volendam'. From there you take the bus back to Amsterdam.

I'm visiting my family for pesach and am planning to take my wife and baby to the flower fields. During that time of year it's absolutely beautiful. There's a place called 'Keukenhof' that plants a beautiful park every year but it's a bit pricey. You can visit the actual flower fields yourself but it's a bit complicated if you don't have your own transportation.
If you fly from amsterdam airport during the spring try to get a window seat. Right after take off they often make a couple of turns in the air (depends which runway they are using. They passed a law they can't fly over parts of Amsterdam so they make some interesting turns. That's also the reason behind their ridiculous 'noise cancellation fee' !) And you have a nice view of the flower fields. Worth some pics.